Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2023, 1:10 am

Quote:
‘Relentlessly woke activism’: Disney Plus loses 2.4 million subscribers
6 hours ago

Sky News host Rita Panahi questions whether Disney’s “relentlessly woke activism” has contributed to the company losing 2.4 million subscribers on its Disney Plus streaming platform.

“Surely the painfully woke content – including incoherent race-baiting cartoons – well, that doesn’t have anything to do with their current troubles, does it?” Ms Panahi.

https://www.skynews.com.au/opinion/outs ... rallPos=10

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2023, 2:58 am

Oh for goodness sake. What does Rita Pahani know about the stock market or tech stocks :lol:

Anyone interested in the real reasons online streaming platforms have crashed (not just Dinsey) just check CNBC business insider
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/12/29/netflix ... -year.html

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2023, 3:37 am

^ This quote covers the real reasons, of which Ms. Pahani seems to be ignorant:

Quote:
The media industry has come to a turning point as competition among streaming services is at an all-time high and consumers are getting pickier about their number of subscriptions. On top of that, companies are contending with lower ad revenue and more cord cutting.
Stiff competition and fickle customers.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2023, 4:42 am

Fnord wrote:
^ This quote covers the real reasons, of which Ms. Pahani seems to be ignorant:[/color]
Quote:
The media industry has come to a turning point as competition among streaming services is at an all-time high and consumers are getting pickier about their number of subscriptions. On top of that, companies are contending with lower ad revenue and more cord cutting.
Stiff competition and fickle customers.

So, you are saying hyper-woke-ism had no effect at all in turning ppl away?
"Interesting."

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2023, 12:58 pm

If they lose enough customers, will they start bringing their new movies out on DVD? I don't support Disney+ so I don't have it, but I'm missing out on some movies that I so badly want to watch but can't because they won't release them on DVD.

Examples are the new animated Diary Of A Wimpy Kid movies, seasons 21+ of The Simpsons, and the Hocus Pocus sequel.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2023, 3:51 pm

Additionally Netflix and Disney are facing a saturated market where at a certain point the number of subscriptions can't grow at the same rate.

It's well known that for every subscription the password is shared with 6 other customers. One proposal from Netflix was to force encrypted passwords on devices. That idea was jettisoned because it's likely the customers will drop and reduce views on their platforms which impacts on their advertising revenue.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2023, 3:52 pm

I subbed to Disney+ for only about three months altogether. I watched everything I wanted to and unsubbed.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2023, 3:53 pm

klanka wrote:
I subbed to Disney+ for only about three months altogether. I watched everything I wanted to and unsubbed.

Disney + have new content all the time. Plus kids will re-watch the same animated flicks 10,000 times :lol:

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2023, 10:34 pm

They added ads and jacked the price up to $10.99 USD for ad free.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Minder
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Feb 2023, 12:40 am

League_Girl wrote:
They added ads and jacked the price up to $10.99 USD for ad free.

That'll upset people regardless of their politics.

AnomalousAspergian
Raven
Raven

25 Mar 2023, 4:21 pm

The fact that they are churning out sequel after sequel and remake after remake for the past couple of decades is far more convincing than radical rightwing invective about "woke activism".

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2023, 5:35 pm

AnomalousAspergian wrote:
The fact that they are churning out sequel after sequel and remake after remake for the past couple of decades is far more convincing than radical rightwing invective about "woke activism".

Was watching Star wars theory (online podcaster) 4th episode of season 3 of the Mandalorian. Could see the disappointment in his face when he saw who saved Grogu. I could read his mind.

Online influencers for Disney + content are being drawn into the anti-woke battlefield and must take some responsibility for influencing young minds to join their crusade against wokeness

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2023, 8:12 pm

AnomalousAspergian wrote:

And does everybody need an origin story these days?

I bet if there's a storyline where Batman has a one-night stand, we have a movie about his warts down there.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Last edited by Tim_Tex on 25 Mar 2023, 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2023, 8:53 pm

Perhaps their subscribers are simply tired of paying premium prices for tired, endlessly re-hashed and warmed-over content?

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2023, 9:43 pm

There is also the simple reality that these streaming services picked up millions of customers during the shelter-in-place orders of the early pandemic, but now people aren't staying at home as much, while looking more closely at their monthly expenses. After all, it is impossible for most us to take full advantage of all the streaming services we decided to add back in 2020. How many series can one person watch in one month? Disney Plus had 26.5M customers in the first quarter of 2020, and had grown to 164.2M by the fourth quarter of 2022. Losing 2M as customers reevaluate their massive subscription lists is a drop in the bucket.

We're talking about rotating our subscriptions here, no longer paying for all our preferred services at the same time. Run through what you want to watch, then drop the service and pick up and run through another.

I take it as a given that different people's interest in the content is going to affect their subscription choices, but looking at this only through a political/cultural lens misses the bigger trends, IMHO.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2023, 3:33 pm

Joe90 wrote:
If they lose enough customers, will they start bringing their new movies out on DVD? I don't support Disney+ so I don't have it, but I'm missing out on some movies that I so badly want to watch but can't because they won't release them on DVD.

Examples are the new animated Diary Of A Wimpy Kid movies, seasons 21+ of The Simpsons, and the Hocus Pocus sequel.

lol no.

There's about as much chance of movies getting released on DVD as VHS tape these days.

Why would any production company go through the expense of physical media this day and age when they can stream digital downloads? :?

Makes zero business sense to spend a bunch of money manufacturing and distributing stuff people don't buy anymore.