Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2023, 11:55 pm

I was just thinking about this, watching some movies from the 1920s and early 1930s.

Back then, a lot of movies had fairly adult themes. But, no booze. Prohibition ended when Roosevelt was president. But, then the Hays Code came in force, and movies became very restricted in what they could show.

Restrictions in movies now are different than they were back then, but maybe not as extreme in certain areas.

We've largely come off of a long era of prohibition with respect to marijuana. And, gays are more respected now than 20 years ago. BUT, abortion is suddenly a hot topic, after we thought that the issue had been put to rest.

During the 18th and 19th centuries, we went through two Great Awakenings when lots of people got religion. Mormonism was invented during one of them. Now, religious people are about as nutty as ever.

And, the MAGA crowd is largely a reinvention of the Nazis.

Plus, we thought that Europeans had finally learned their lesson, that war wasn't a good idea.

beady
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2023, 12:07 am

Ah yes, us humans are a very stupid bunch.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2023, 12:37 am

twain said that "history doesn't exactly repeat itself, but it surely rhymes." human nature doesn't change, we're still essentially the same poo-flinging ultra-primates we always were, but nowadays we have hygiene and politics to war by other means.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2023, 2:21 am

Honey69 wrote:
I was just thinking about this, watching some movies from the 1920s and early 1930s.

Back then, a lot of movies had fairly adult themes. But, no booze. Prohibition ended when Roosevelt was president. But, then the Hays Code came in force, and movies became very restricted in what they could show.

Restrictions in movies now are different than they were back then, but maybe not as extreme in certain areas.

We've largely come off of a long era of prohibition with respect to marijuana. And, gays are more respected now than 20 years ago. BUT, abortion is suddenly a hot topic, after we thought that the issue had been put to rest.

During the 18th and 19th centuries, we went through two Great Awakenings when lots of people got religion. Mormonism was invented during one of them. Now, religious people are about as nutty as ever.

And, the MAGA crowd is largely a reinvention of the Nazis.

Plus, we thought that Europeans had finally learned their lesson, that war wasn't a good idea.

Pot is still technically illegal everywhere in the United States because federal law takes precedence over state law so I would not say the marijuana prohibition is totally over.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2023, 2:31 am

what a lot of people don't know, is that the hays office had lots of holes in it, some of its own design. for example, a movie called "forever amber" released in 1947, was one of the few that had an "adults-only" certification meaning vertically integrated theatres [part of the studio system them] had to restrict admittance to 18 and over. there were several such films that flew under the radar of our collective recollection. movies such as "gone with the wind" and "miracle of morgan's creek" violated many general admittance hays office rules and were thereby restricted to adults-only viewing back in the day. coincidentally, these movies were given an adults-only with reservations [B] by the legion of decency [catholic movie censors] or condemned altogether. it was a different more straightlaced [and hypocritical] time but the new-fangled MPAA CARA rating system that debuted in september '66/november '68 was not so new after all, based on this history.

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2023, 8:54 am

Interesting.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0039391

IMDB Trivia Section about Forever Amber wrote:
The Catholic Legion of Decency condemned the film for its "glamorization of immorality and licentiousness", and it demanded the studio (20th Century-Fox) make changes so the film would be removed from their '"Condemned" list. The studio defiantly refused, initially, but when the actual boycotts began to occur, it caved in. During a period of about two months, Fox and representatives of the Legion of Decency discussed how the film could be changed to meet the Legion's approval. Among the scenes added was a narrated prologue over the credits which said the main character would be punished for sins, a new ending in which Amber watches Lord Carlton leave for Virginia and ends up accepting a supper invitation from the King's equerry, plus the deletion of scenes suggesting Amber had many lovers and the addition of new scenes to condemn her immorality. After these changes were made, the Legion of Decency took the film off the "Condemned" list and moved it to the "Class B-Objectionable in Part" listing, but the film's bookings had been severely cut due to the earlier condemnation. Fox president Spyros P. Skouras later apologized to the Legion, not for offending them but for refusing to conform to them.

The movie mentions King Charles II--an era of extreme licentiousness in England, after the extreme conservatism of Puritan rule under Oliver Cromwell.

During the '90s, I had "Christian" neighbors who were getting bent out of shape about Disney movies.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2023, 9:50 am

Back in my adolescent years in the Seventies I remember Mom mentioning "Forever Amber" (it was a bestselling novel first...fav of servicemen in the war)before they made it into a movie. And the movie tones it down.

Mom said that when they wrote racy books in her day they were always set in "other centuries". You could have the king's mistress undressing in front of the king...but you wouldnt dare depict modern folks doing that stuff.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2023, 9:59 am

Same with cowboy movies from the 40s/50s.

There seemed to be more flexibility in the use of language in movies taking place in the 19th century than in movies taking place in the "present" (for the 40s/50s).

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2023, 11:03 am

In a lot of the movies from that era, violence replaced sex as the main audience draw. There always had to be a gratuitous fist fight. In McClintock, not just a big fist fight, but two women getting spanked.

Enchanted Island (1958) was supposed to be an adaptation of Herman Melville's Typee. In the movie version, two sailors run away after a fist fight with the captain. In the book, the fist fight never happens.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2023, 7:22 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Same with cowboy movies from the 40s/50s.

There seemed to be more flexibility in the use of language in movies taking place in the 19th century than in movies taking place in the "present" (for the 40s/50s).

i am curious, can you please give me an example of this?

beady
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2023, 11:06 pm

Honey69 wrote:
but two women getting spanked

Interesting adaptation.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2023, 11:19 pm

I'm probably shooting from the hip here and I'll both underpromise and likely underdeliver as well, but my guess is you'll see in the case of repetitions of theme that there are symmetries in the environment.

Someone could correct me if this was wrong but the 'roaring 20's' in a lot of ways seem like they would have been Ponzinomics of the sort that we have now, particularly that the whole thing came crashing down in 1929, the Great Depression kicked off as a result of divorce from reality in terms of prices. I think there's claim now that prices are similarly overinflated although I think there are more watchful eyes on that issue (probably not a bubblegum snap) but some people are saying that we're going to be headed to a market in this decade where commodities will be more important than stocks, I'm not an econ expert but that doesn't sound like a high-production environment, maybe not a Great Depression but trying times for sure.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Lecia_Wynter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Feb 2023, 11:33 am

Honey69 wrote:

This is because abortion is not a religious issue. It was artificially propped up through cultural brainwashing. But now people are beginning to realize animals and other life forms may have consciousness and that murder is wrong.

"what about early abortions" If there is no CNS then abortion, on paper, is fine. The problem is wingnut leftists who always take it too far. It will be a slippery slope where the nutjobs will try to legalize later and later abortions.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2023, 12:43 pm

Lecia_Wynter wrote:
Honey69 wrote:

This is because abortion is not a religious issue. It was artificially propped up through cultural brainwashing. But now people are beginning to realize animals and other life forms may have consciousness and that murder is wrong.

"what about early abortions" If there is no CNS then abortion, on paper, is fine. The problem is wingnut leftists who always take it too far. It will be a slippery slope where the nutjobs will try to legalize later and later abortions.

One has to be a wingnut to consider bodily autonomy to be valid, I suppose. :lol:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Lecia_Wynter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Feb 2023, 2:26 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Lecia_Wynter wrote:
Honey69 wrote:

One has to be a wingnut to consider bodily autonomy to be valid, I suppose. :lol:

Bodily autonomy is an invalid argument. For example you cannot exert bodily autonomy in such a way that your own bodies causes harm to other bodies. For instance, I cannot decide to hit someone on the head with a sledgehammer and claim that I have the "right" to move my hands any way I please holding the sledgehammer.

If there is no CNS then abort away, otherwise it is murder.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2023, 2:36 pm

Lecia_Wynter wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
Lecia_Wynter wrote:
Honey69 wrote:

Bodily autonomy is an invalid argument. For example you cannot exert bodily autonomy in such a way that your own bodies causes harm to other bodies. For instance, I cannot decide to hit someone on the head with a sledgehammer and claim that I have the "right" to move my hands any way I please holding the sledgehammer.

If there is no CNS then abort away, otherwise it is murder.

The person you described murdering wasn't occupying your flesh, therefore your bodily autonomy was never under any risk. :?

One always has the right to remove parasites from their flesh, regardless of how they got there and regardless of their species.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う