Binge drinking affects social cognition via gut microbiome

Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2023, 2:40 pm

Been tellin’ y’all for a decade that altering gut flora changes our social circuitry and that I’ve been able to switch mine on via diet/supplements/intestinal cleanses & probiotics etc.

While this study isn’t about autism, it’s still related and interesting that alcohol altering gut flora in even presumably NT people changes their social functions by chemically altering their gut flora.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/a ... 6423000075

I stand by my predictions made nearly a decade ago that as the gut microbiome is ever better understood that the future of mental & neurological health medicine is going to include gut flora analysis via faeces and then compounding biologists of sorts, vs compounding chemists/pharmacists, creating custom blends of probiotics/prebiotics/enzymes etc required to bring a specific person’s gut flora back into an ideal balance range.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2023, 3:24 pm

NT people dont become autistic due to drinking though...well, so it seems. THey might lose some of their sharpness.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2023, 3:38 pm

klanka wrote:
NT people dont become autistic due to drinking though...well, so it seems. THey might lose some of their sharpness.

I never said that

What I have said is that NT babies become autistic due to antibiotics given in infancy. Over and over again nuking a healthy gut microbiome and then we grow up on the spectrum.

That’s what happened to me and what I watched happening to my friends 1 year old son. I intervened and insisted they pump him full of coconut oil and then probiotics. They did, he bounced back to NT baby life like a house plant that got watered for the first time in a couple weeks, and is now 11 years old and fine. 8)

This study is just further proof that altering gut flora changes our social functioning levels.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2023, 3:42 pm

So, basically, vaccines might as well cause autism then, because it could affect the ''gut'' (I HATE THAT WORD!! !) flora or something.

Which gut is it? The intestines? The kidneys? It's never specific.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2023, 4:06 pm

Joe90 wrote:
So, basically, vaccines might as well cause autism then, because it could affect the ''gut'' (I HATE THAT WORD!! !) flora or something.

Which gut is it? The intestines? The kidneys? It's never specific.

I've never read anything about vaccines affecting gut flora. Source?

Your gut flora/gut microbiome generally live throughout your intestines.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2023, 4:44 pm

But if your gut biome theory of autism were correct than...NT boozers would indeed become autistic.

Wouldnt they?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2023, 6:04 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
But if your gut biome theory of autism were correct than...NT boozers would indeed become autistic.

Wouldnt they?

Perhaps if they were boozing as infants and then then grew up with altered gut flora because of it.

There’s nothing in this study that says binge drinking causes autism. But they were able to measure differences in gut microbiomes that resulted in changes in social cognition & function. Whether any of these can possibly be extreme enough to put an otherwise healthy NT adult onto the autism spectrum I have no idea.

Also, it’s not just my theory/what I know. There have been multiple medical studies over the last decade proving exactly what I’ve learned and shared here. It’s simple fact that this is A cause of autism - maybe not the Only cause, but definitely A cause.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2023, 6:32 pm

I have heard a lot about this. I don't know how much trying to treat this as an adult actually works

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2023, 8:22 pm

Think will be a good thread , ?

where ever you go ,there you are

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2023, 8:28 pm

I don't really believe it. I think autism is all down to genes, and we don't need a scientific study to prove that. It's blatantly obvious, most ASD parents have kids with ASD, or most NT parents who have ASD kids usually have more than one ASD kid. It's no coincidence.

If autism was caused by intestine bacteria or whatever it is then ASD would just be a random chance, not genetically running in families.

It's very common for babies to get infections and need antibiotics. Antibiotics don't cause autism.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2023, 8:21 am

^^^Agrees with Joe90^^^
but alsp think gut can bacteria can be a larger contributing factor in ones health , and subsequent effects of that safe life forms personality..(gunna be Grumpy with a Grumpy tummy). But have read certain parts of the colon supplies
certain places in a persons body, But particularily the brain maybe?

where ever you go ,there you are

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2023, 9:39 am

I think this is only true for a specific type of autism -- one that isn't really autism via neurology and circuitry, but by sensitive biochemistry causing behaviors that qualifies for autism diagnosis.

The same logic with vaccines -- except it's not related to the gut, but likely about immune responses.

This logic also implies the same way with trauma.

And into this specific topic; what specific type of body/biochemistry this person/people, pressumably and likely had been an NT, that do benefit for this type of dietary treatment?

Specific sensitivities/insensitivities doesn't have to be limited to the gut, of course. Or, only one of the following;
It could be something else entirely -- immune responses, specific hormones, proteins and cells, stress responses and whatever triggers...

And yes, they're kinda like the key players when it came to brain health. Heck, autoimmune disorders are huge when it comes to brain disorders.

Which makes kinda sense.
Any medically fragile kid could likely ended up diagnosed as autistic due to medical interventions or the disease itself -- and likely blame autism for said medical fragility. :shrug:

But the same can be said with isolating said child. Or traumatizing said child.
And blame it all to autism. Solely because the behaviors matches the checklist.

Anyways.
I have my own sensitivities.

But whatever gut issues I have is causing more executive dysfunction than making me autistic.

Specific consumptions/restrictions of foods so far hadn't changed me much.
Not even cutting caffeine and sugar. Caffeine just made my sleep just less messy, but it's still messy.
Cutting bread and dairy just made me sneeze less.

And sugar... Is more of a coping mechanism that perpetuates certain states in my head and a crappy habit than just some dietary relate issue.

I plan to get rid of it completely before I reach 30, due to my family history of having diabetes.
Heck, this may also be why I have some biochemical sensitivities -- yet none of my relatives are autistic or ended up with autism.

Timing and how much I consumed lessened my gut issues though, because this whole time, I've been overfed and not conditioned to be mindful enough.

Gives me a bit of better sleep quality and granted me a silver chance of maintaining routine -- doesn't improve much still. Still unsatisfied.

Then I have the reproductive cycles to deal with, which influences how my gut reacts, and I hadn't able to solve it yet.
Something just went downhill for me since puberty.

But sure.
My own autism may or may not even be genetic.
I won't be surprised if it's not due to lacking relatives having it too.
At best I have an ND cousin, not specifically autistic -- but is likely through in laws. Closest autistic relative I have is this distant cousin (closest would be a 2nd cousin) that I've never met.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2023, 10:36 am

It is true and documented that SOME Autistic people are Autistic because of gut flora issues. But that is not the case for ALL Autistic people. So yes, for SOME, changing their gut flora will reverse their Autistic symptoms and traits but it won't work for every single Autistic person.

Wreck It Ralph

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2023, 11:24 am

klanka wrote:
I have heard a lot about this. I don't know how much trying to treat this as an adult actually works

Works quite well, depending on how extreme of lengths you go to for treatment - in my experience. I've been doing it for a decade. I still have ups and downs, but overall I'm living a second Much More Socially Intuitive life for it. Friends, work, money etc everything is far easier to obtain and keep than prior to figuring these things out. But, when I do have downs they sometimes cost me things like jobs :/ before I realize I'm slipping and need to correct course. Overall still a better life than had I never done any of this, BY FAR!

I theorized way back when I began my journey that FMT would become a treatment - and it has. It's been successfully done in children and followed up 2 years later with the vast majority Off the spectrum with subclinical traits. I still believe this is my next level course of treatment for myself to see if I can get a better/more permanent result than the constant maintenance. But I've been putting off looking into actually doing it for years. I keep telling myself I should catch up on some procrastinated life things like a few years worth of taxes etc, clear my slate, and then dive into finding out who in town will do this for me. Even if it still costs a couple grand as it did last time I looked into it, these days I can easily afford that. Maybe someday I'll do it and report back.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2023, 11:50 am

Joe90 wrote:
I don't really believe it. I think autism is all down to genes, and we don't need a scientific study to prove that. It's blatantly obvious, most ASD parents have kids with ASD, or most NT parents who have ASD kids usually have more than one ASD kid. It's no coincidence.

If autism was caused by intestine bacteria or whatever it is then ASD would just be a random chance, not genetically running in families.

It's very common for babies to get infections and need antibiotics. Antibiotics don't cause autism.

I don't know if antibiotics cause autism or not, but isn't cut flora also affected by genes, at least partly? So, couldn't there be a specific kind of gut flora that one inherits from parents that makes autism likelier?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2023, 11:59 am

Fireblossom wrote:
Joe90 wrote:

I don't know if antibiotics cause autism or not, but isn't cut flora also affected by genes, at least partly? So, couldn't there be a specific kind of gut flora that one inherits from parents that makes autism likelier?

Gut flora Might influence genetic expressions as well as neurological development - maybe (my guess is yes.) - but gut flora aren't going to be genetic as they're not human cells. They are, however, inherited from our mothers, so mom's gut mix is in fact passed down to her kids, which IMO/experience/observations is a Yes, it does make autism likelier. But there's a difference between genetic and inherited. Genetically inherited traits are passed via human DNA, whereas gut flora are a bunch of bacteria that we're partially made up of as the symbiotic beings that we are - relying on these microorganisms to populate our meatsuits and help make us US.