Teen girls, LGBT+ distressing rates of mental health issues

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2023, 5:52 pm

U.S. Nearly a third of teen girls say they have seriously considered suicide, CDC survey shows

Quote:
Around 1 in 3 high school girls in the U.S. have seriously considered attempting suicide, according to new results from a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention survey from 2021, up from less than a fifth of teen girls in 2011. And more than half of teen girls, 57%, reported feeling "persistently sad or hopeless" — a record high number.

By contrast, 14% of high school boys told the 2021 survey that they had seriously considered attempting suicide, up from 13% in 2011.

The statistics are among several mental health trends in high schoolers that have worsened most among girls over the past decade, according to data from the CDC's Youth Risk Behavior Survey published Monday.

Overall, 22% of high schoolers said they have considered suicide. That is somewhat better than the 29% when the CDC first began its biennial survey in the 1990s, but is an increase from the record low 13.8% tallied in 2009.

"While much attention has been given to the youth mental health crisis during the COVID-19 pandemic, YRBS data have shown that many measures were moving in the wrong direction before the pandemic. These data show the mental health crisis among young people continues," Kathleen Ethier, director of the CDC's Division of Adolescent and School Health, told reporters Monday.

The CDC says gaps persist between boys and girls among several trends.

In the survey, 17% of teen girls say they were bullied at school, compared to 13% of boys; 20% of girls say they were bullied over social media, nearly double the 11% of boys. And 18% of girls say they have faced sexual violence over the past year, versus 5% of boys.

When asked about substance abuse, girls had often ranked better or around the same compared to boys over the past decade.

But as of 2021, teen girls are now more likely than boys to have drunk alcohol (27% of high school girls compared to 19% of high school boys), used marijuana (18% of girls versus 14% of boys), used e-cigarettes (21% of girls versus 15% of boys), or misused prescription opioids (15% of girls versus 10% of boys).

"These data show a distressing picture. America's teen girls are engulfed in a growing wave of sadness, violence and trauma. Over the past decade, teens, especially girls, have experienced dramatic increases in experiences of violence and poor mental health," the CDC's chief medical officer Dr. Debra Houry said.

The survey also found disparities among students who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, questioning or another non-heterosexual identity.

"Close to 70% of LGBQ+ students experienced persistent feelings of sadness or hopelessness during the past year and more than 50% had poor mental health during the past 30 days. Almost 25% attempted suicide during the past year," the report states. It also notes they are "significantly more likely" than other peers to experience violence.

While many of the trends have substantially worsened over the past decade, the report's authors do point out that a handful of indicators are now moving "in the right direction."

The share of high school students who say they are sexually active or have already had more than four partners has fallen. Just 6% overall have had four or more partners in 2021, down from 15% in 2011.

Several overall rates of substance use have also declined since 2011 among high schoolers.

More results from the CDC's school-based survey are expected to be released in April, which also spans other issues like diet and exercise. A total of 17,508 questionnaires were completed across 152 private and public schools around the country.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2023, 2:53 am

We're destroying our kids and there is no end in sight. The pressure on girls is particularly intense. I have loose thoughts on why, but nothing well formed enough to share here. I just know the problem is very, very real.

My own daughter had to leave high school because of her anxiety and mental health issues. We were lucky she is incredibly smart and was able to handle the disruption to her schooling without any long term ill-effects (she is on track to graduate with honors from University this spring), but I was terrified as a parent. I honestly didn't know if we could ever get to the other side. I can't take any credit at all for her getting better; she did it all on her own. I hate that I had no way to help her and no answers. Not that I didn't try; I threw a lot of spaghetti at the wall; but I don't think her recovery came from anything I helped with.

A friend of mine is still in thick of it with her daughter.

Anyway. A headline that really strikes home for me.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2023, 5:32 am

I think there is a common factor between this and mass shootings.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2023, 12:26 pm

r00tb33r wrote:

And what factor may that be?

Girls by enlarge are not doing the school mass shootings.

Understandably this era of mass shootings is creating a level of fear and anxiety that is unfathomable to somebody from my generation. That does not explain why girls are affected more.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2023, 2:51 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
r00tb33r wrote:

Understandably this era of mass shootings is creating a level of fear and anxiety that is unfathomable to somebody from my generation. That does not explain why girls are affected more.

You didn't think hard enough.

I said a common factor. Mental health problems across the society? If I knew exactly what it is, I'd say what it is. But that's as close as I can get.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2023, 4:56 pm

It's strange that a teenager would seriously think about suicide when they know they have yet to leave school and see how they fare in the real world or job market or dating or whatever comes after school.

That's what kept me going then. I saw adults being able to walk the streets being ignored by bullies , so I thought I'd get that anonymity.
Also I had hope of finding a job or possibly meeting someone.

Are girls less likely to have hope like that?

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2023, 8:40 pm

klanka wrote:
It's strange that a teenager would seriously think about suicide when they know they have yet to leave school and see how they fare in the real world or job market or dating or whatever comes after school.

That's what kept me going then. I saw adults being able to walk the streets being ignored by bullies , so I thought I'd get that anonymity.

Are girls less likely to have hope like that?

You are assuming that bullying is the only reason one might lose the will to live.

That would be incorrect.

Some of the factors that appear to have played into my daughters breakdown roughly 4 years ago:
1. Stress about the direction the world was going in, including:
a. society trending towards a more hostile position towards women and LGBTQ members
b. bleak job prospects for recent graduates, increasing the pressure to out-perform to have a chance
c. increasing difficulty getting into good schools while also feeling it was essential to do so if there is going to be any hope
d. knowing your generation won't have it as good as your parents' did
e. climate change
f. the ever present threat of being a mass-shooting victim (she has spent her entire life learning lock down drills and hearing of kids shot at school; can you imagine what that has done to these kids, especially ones with tendencies towards anxiety???)

Girls, in particular, seem to feel increasing stress to be "perfect" in order to have a decent future. They've gotten a lot of messages over the years about having to be better than the competition to have a chance, etc. It seems to have permeated society most of their formative years. That plus the chance of being killed by a mass shooter. Perfectionism and anxiety are rampant in teen girls. It's exhausting and overwhelming for them. There is no way out in their eyes; everyone older had it better, without all the same obstacles, so there is no one to look at or believe for evidence it doesn't have to feel that way.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2023, 10:54 pm

r00tb33r wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
r00tb33r wrote:

You didn't think hard enough.

I said a common factor. Mental health problems across the society? If I knew exactly what it is, I'd say what it is. But that's as close as I can get.

"Common factor" does not mean unique or more common for girls.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2023, 11:10 pm

klanka wrote:

Then not you were not a typical teen. Most teens are very centered on the here and now and their world, their school their friends, their parents, etc. 5 years in the future might as well be as be a thousand years in the future to them. They are in that school 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. They do not have a choice, they got to be there and unless they run away they have no choice but to be stuck with their family. If they do not like it, they can't see an escape.

Teenagers do not have the perspective from experience that adults have. Minor problems seem like disasters.

All of this is even before the more modern and "girl" factors DW_a_mom listed.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2023, 1:32 am

I did read a lot of stories from people 55 and over talking about how they just go to a business and get hired on the spot.
Even for technical jobs they were allowed to work their way up etc.
They could buy houses easier and dating was easier.
when I was a teen it was hard to get a job also.
The survey is American, where there is a lot more pressure.
So yeah I tried to have hope as a teen but if I had been told what was going to happen over the next 30 years I would be in a similar situation to those in the article.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2023, 1:34 pm

klanka wrote:
I did read a lot of stories from people 55 and over talking about how they just go to a business and get hired on the spot.
Even for technical jobs they were allowed to work their way up etc.
They could buy houses easier and dating was easier.
when I was a teen it was hard to get a job also.
The survey is American, where there is a lot more pressure.
So yeah I tried to have hope as a teen but if I had been told what was going to happen over the next 30 years I would be in a similar situation to those in the article.

It was different. One day during the late 70s I was home from college on break and decided to visit my 5th grade teacher. I just walked right in during the middle of the day and visited my old classroom. An elementary school today letting a 20 year old man just walk into an elementary school is unthinkable.

My Job search 80s style was to go from building to building walk into the companies I was interested in and hand in my resume.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2023, 5:27 pm

Today it seems to be super easy for teens to get a service industry job, but it also is obvious to them very quickly that they would never be able to live on those wages. Even after college, making the leap into a professional job with a living wage and actual healthcare benefits is really difficult. They all know the stories. They all have friends working multiple service industry jobs after college while trying to break into a career. Even with a high demand degree, the process can take two years, and some never break through. Meanwhile, they live with their parents and stare down the cliff where they will be forced off mom and dad's health insurance. The anxiety of it all is huge, and that is just one facet of all they face.

It wasn't like that at all for me. Sure, I was frugal living at home, alternating between the two professional suits I owned, driving a used car bought from a neighbor, etc; but I also had paid a full half of my college costs simply by working summers. I knew I'd save quickly once I had a real salary, and I moved out from my parents directly into real estate I was able to buy (despite the crazy high interest rates of the time).

The economic changes over the past 40 years are super depressing.

Not to mention everything else like climate change and mass shootings.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2023, 6:59 am

DW_a_mom wrote:
You are assuming that bullying is the only reason one might lose the will to live.

That would be incorrect.

On the other hand, one of the problems in today's world is a new form of bullying that didn't exist in earlier eras, and which affects girls more than boys. As the quoted article said:

Quote:
20% of girls say they were bullied over social media, nearly double the 11% of boys.

Social media bullying can be really horrible, with much, MUCH more lasting effects than old-fashioned bullying. It can harm a person's job prospects and can generally embarrass an innocent person before the entire world, often with no recourse.

Yet it amazes me that so many people today are still oblivious to this danger.

DW_a_mom wrote:
Some of the factors that appear to have played into my daughters breakdown roughly 4 years ago:
1. Stress about the direction the world was going in, including:
a. society trending towards a more hostile position towards women and LGBTQ members
b. bleak job prospects for recent graduates, increasing the pressure to out-perform to have a chance
c. increasing difficulty getting into good schools while also feeling it was essential to do so if there is going to be any hope
d. knowing your generation won't have it as good as your parents' did
e. climate change
f. the ever present threat of being a mass-shooting victim (she has spent her entire life learning lock down drills and hearing of kids shot at school; can you imagine what that has done to these kids, especially ones with tendencies towards anxiety???)

Girls, in particular, seem to feel increasing stress to be "perfect" in order to have a decent future. They've gotten a lot of messages over the years about having to be better than the competition to have a chance, etc. It seems to have permeated society most of their formative years. That plus the chance of being killed by a mass shooter. Perfectionism and anxiety are rampant in teen girls. It's exhausting and overwhelming for them. There is no way out in their eyes; everyone older had it better, without all the same obstacles, so there is no one to look at or believe for evidence it doesn't have to feel that way.

All of these are issues too, of course.