Niche Online Dating Sites As A Potential Idea For Aspies.

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Muse933277
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2023, 1:41 am

The more that I think about it, the more that I believe that niche online sites are one of the best ways for autistic people to find a relationship.

The current landscape of dating today is primarily done online with many couples meeting on a dating app. However, I don't believe that mainstream dating apps are necessarily suitable for many people with autism. Apps like Tinder and Bumble are 95% based on physical attractiveness and are known to be ultra competitive for straight men.

Instead, I believe that meeting someone online through either a niche dating site, or perhaps an online group such as reddit or a forum site is very beneficial for someone with autism. For one thing, meeting online takes away some of the awkwardness that can come with meeting someone in real life. Secondly, it benefits introverted folk who may not be as outgoing in real life and people with autism are more likely to be introverted compared to the general population. Finally, niche sites allows people with similar beliefs and interests to congregate together which means you're more likely to meet someone who is compatible with you.

So what do you think?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2023, 1:59 am

I think that a person with autism meeting someone they have only met on-line will result only in pain and grief.  Of course, all those stories I read about people being victims of human trafficking may be in the minority, but how many more go unreported?  What if the autistic people have no one who cares for them, or maybe their relatives would be happy if they simply disappeared?

Of course, I could be wrong.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2023, 2:43 am

There was already many attempts on that, all failures.

Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2023, 7:49 am

Fnord wrote:
I think that a person with autism meeting someone they have only met on-line will result only in pain and grief.

I first got in touch with my wife looking for a language exchange partner online. We didn't know each other's looks when we started sending emails. Shortly after sending our photos to each other we went on to Skype calls, got along really well and sort of drifted into a relationship that was sealed when she visited me in Stockholm some 10 months after our initial contact.

I'm pretty sure though she wouldn't have been on any niche dating site, for sure. Maybe Tiktok?

Muse933277
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2023, 1:26 pm

If you meet someone online, that also means you're likely going to be in a long distance relationship as well.

Long distance relationships are not for everyone, and depending on where you two live, it might be problematic for you two to meet up anyways.

emotionalalchemist
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Feb 2023, 12:07 am

I think this is a GREAT idea.

Not trying to humble brag, but I am very pretty and know how to turn the charm on. People respond pretty well to it.

The problem is, the mask fades. The quirks come out. They leave, I retract.

Tinder is too wide a net. I would be really happy to go into a dating experience already knowing there’s some basis of understanding there. Tbh I have a hard time putting myself out there for this reason.

If this app doesn’t already exist it should be made.

Vissora
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Feb 2023, 9:22 am

Muse933277 wrote:
If you meet someone online, that also means you're likely going to be in a long distance relationship as well.

Long distance relationships are not for everyone, and depending on where you two live, it might be problematic for you two to meet up anyways.

Long-distance relationships is possible if one person is willing to relocate to the other person's country.

I remembered reading a post on reddit about how this woman met her husband, she had apparently met her husband on reddit, and she relocated to his country. If she had been closed off to the idea of long-distance relationships, she wouldn't have met her husband.

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2023, 10:13 am

emotionalalchemist wrote:
I think this is a GREAT idea.

Not trying to humble brag, but I am very pretty and know how to turn the charm on. People respond pretty well to it.

The problem is, the mask fades. The quirks come out. They leave, I retract.

Tinder is too wide a net. I would be really happy to go into a dating experience already knowing there’s some basis of understanding there. Tbh I have a hard time putting myself out there for this reason.

If this app doesn’t already exist it should be made.

What kind of quirks are they? Some quirks, I find, can make you pretty charming, even though not many people think so.

I've been trying to do some online relationship myself, trying to meet and get to know those who I find interesting on this site, but I'm not getting any lucky so far. :(

Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2023, 9:45 pm

Muse933277 wrote:

People who already suspect they can't handle a long-distance relationship shouldn't try. For those who can, it can be the start of a great adventure. Moving to another country allows you to experience things that you'd otherwise only read about online, as well as maturing as a person and seeing your original culture from the outside (which makes you a lot more tolerant).

Back in 2010 marrying someone you'd met online from another country equalled white fat guy buying mail order wife. I've got to live with that stereotype but on the whole I don't care. There are autistic stereotypes as well but if I went about being self-conscious about how others perceive me I'd get nothing done and feel miserable at the same time. Got nothing to feel anxious about as I bring in a lot of money to support my family and speak the language well enough to hold a full-time job.

Doesn't mean interracial and intercultural marriages aren't without big challenges. But show me the marriage that isn't.

Weight Of Memory
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jul 2023, 10:24 pm

Muse933277 wrote:

When people talk about long-distance relationships not working they usually talk about things like trust, loneliness, and communication.

I thought I would be fine with a long-distance relationship. It actually worked out pretty well for awhile because we were both honest. Ultimately it failed while still long distance after meeting in person several times.

The way you get to know someone in-person and the way you get to know someone not in-person are not the same. In particular, I think the former is better at letting you see the relationship's potential failure points sooner rather than later. In hindsight I can see that my relationship didn't fail because it was long-distance; it long-distance likely prevented it from failing much sooner. I would have a failure take a month than a year, even if 11 of 12 months were good months.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

06 Jul 2023, 2:50 pm

Weight Of Memory wrote:
Muse933277 wrote:

When people talk about long-distance relationships not working they usually talk about things like trust, loneliness, and communication.

I thought I would be fine with a long-distance relationship. It actually worked out pretty well for awhile because we were both honest. Ultimately it failed while still long distance after meeting in person several times.

The way you get to know someone in-person and the way you get to know someone not in-person are not the same. In particular, I think the former is better at letting you see the relationship's potential failure points sooner rather than later. In hindsight I can see that my relationship didn't fail because it was long-distance; it long-distance likely prevented it from failing much sooner. I would have a failure take a month than a year, even if 11 of 12 months were good months.
All 3 relationships I've had started online & were mostly long distance for a while. I've had major problems handling the distance in my 1st two relationships partly cuz of issues with trust, loneliness, & communication. Some of those issues were due to my 1st ex having problems with drugs & alcohol. & my 2nd was really wanting to become independent & I felt pushed away. Both relationships would of had to remain mostly long-distance for an indefinite amount of time due to them being in school which was very disheartening. I had problems with anxiety & OCD making me become unstable in both relationships. Looking back I would not have been able to make a relationship work with them even if I moved in with them after a few months. Both relationships only lasted about half a year thou me & my 1st were best friends for awhile before she told me she liked me.

I was able to make my current relationship work for a few reasons. My mental health was better partly due to me getting on medication for anxiety & OCD around the time my 2nd relationship ended. My current is more clingy & didn't get herself into trouble so I didn't feel pushed away nor have to worry about her as much. We were able to meet up sooner & more often, & we were able to move in together after a little more than half a year.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2023, 1:36 am

I met a man on OkCupid, he was my boyfriend for 11 months, he lived in UK, he worked in another country.

Mikurotoro92
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2023, 2:33 am

My neighbor and friend Glenn met his wife on Ok Cupid

bottleblank
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Jul 2023, 6:40 am

I tried Hiki and, although I suspect my location (small town in the UK) had a lot to do with it, it proved 100% useless.

I did try to be realistic about distance filtering, I wasn't expecting a neighbour down the street to just conveniently show up on there and match, but it's just not reasonable to travel half way around the country every time you want to meet/hang out.

It even has buttons for love and for friendship, which as I understand it don't have to match, so if you pick either one (as opposed to the X "no" button) you should still connect. But I got no matches, so no messages, no dates, not even any "hey, wanna hang out just as friends?", which sucked. I wasn't expecting miracles, but really, when you can't even get a "hello" it's pretty miserable.

What I found even more difficult to deal with was that many of the women who did show up near me had children, which is like a mood nuke when you're a guy with no meaningful experience and desperately lonely. How can I even begin to feel adequate when they clearly have a much easier time of finding relationships than I could ever hope to?

Clearly I'm competing in an Olympic race when I couldn't even qualify for the Paralympics, if even the women who are supposed to be as developmentally challenged as me, by virtue of the same disorder, were able to get as far as having kids.

delvian
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2023, 8:18 am

I don't actively look or romance anymore, it never worked out too healthily for me in the past and now it just doesn't fit who I feel I am anymore. These days I'm looking for connections and deep friendships, and if romance was to come out of a nice connection with someone then great. But I would absolutely love some sort of tool to find and connect with other neurodivergent and specifically autistic people in real life. The connections I have made with other autistics have always been so rich and real in ways that connections with neurotypicals never have been for me. The problem is finding each other in the first place...

I'm actually surprised that the ADHD community haven't impulsively built some crazy online or in person groups or apps yet for this exact purpose of neurodivergent connection, that us autistics could make us of :lol: but I do keep hearing that "it doesn't work". I find it so confusing, because connecting with other autistics in real life is something I want to do more than anything else, and I have autistic friends who feel the same. None of us want to be the ones to kickstart it though, and none of us would know how anyway, so maybe therein lies the problem :roll:

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

21 Jul 2023, 9:02 am

bottleblank wrote:
I tried Hiki and, although I suspect my location (small town in the UK) had a lot to do with it, it proved 100% useless.

I did try to be realistic about distance filtering, I wasn't expecting a neighbour down the street to just conveniently show up on there and match, but it's just not reasonable to travel half way around the country every time you want to meet/hang out.

It even has buttons for love and for friendship, which as I understand it don't have to match, so if you pick either one (as opposed to the X "no" button) you should still connect. But I got no matches, so no messages, no dates, not even any "hey, wanna hang out just as friends?", which sucked. I wasn't expecting miracles, but really, when you can't even get a "hello" it's pretty miserable.

What I found even more difficult to deal with was that many of the women who did show up near me had children, which is like a mood nuke when you're a guy with no meaningful experience and desperately lonely. How can I even begin to feel adequate when they clearly have a much easier time of finding relationships than I could ever hope to?

Clearly I'm competing in an Olympic race when I couldn't even qualify for the Paralympics, if even the women who are supposed to be as developmentally challenged as me, by virtue of the same disorder, were able to get as far as having kids.
I tried a paid autistic dating site like 13/15 years ago. There was a few model looking women in my small town so I canceled my membership right away. I posted about it in this section a long time ago but I forget the name of the site since then & hopefully it's not still up. We need to be very wary of scams & others trying to prey on our issues.

As for as kids go, I wouldn't consider a women with kids because I know my own issues would cause major problems with me being a parent & the woman would probably resent me for feeling like I'm one of her kids instead of being a stepdad to hers.
There's probably more single moms with various issues & challenges than single dads because women tend to have an easier time getting sex than guys & women are much more likely to be used for sex; guys are more likely to f#ck & run. Single moms are prohably on those sites because lots of guys do not want a relationship with single moms. Men & women can have some different challenges with dating & relationships & being on the spectrum can make those challenges a lot worse & add others. There's plenty of exceptions with all this of coarse.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition