Real life AS commune signup thread--check 1st post regularly

Page 13 of 15 [ 226 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

username88
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2007, 9:14 pm

TheMachine1
Thats only if social services cut her off, and if they do Im bailing out cause I couldnt live in a tent... Could never deal with the "grim and frostbitten" environment either :lol:

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2007, 9:34 pm

Ike, the tent city is surrounded by public buildings with washrooms. :) And furthermore, there are faucets in the tent city that people "shower" at... and there are porta potties there too, for if all the surrounding buildings are closed. :)

Javid
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Aug 2007, 11:50 pm

As a shade between living in tents and building a big house, we could buy the land and sit a bunch of cheap travel trailers on it. We'd still lack electricity unless we got some generators but there'd be beds and shelter. Cooking could be accomplished with propane stoves, and there are fridges that run on propane too. Or hell, even putting in trailer hookups might be cheaper than building a house.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2007, 7:05 pm

Ok,I am currently awaiting permission to bring up a community that is in current planing phase.If permission is given,I will return and give details.

In the mean time,here is a "thought out of the box"....

There is a current show broadcasting soon,called "Kids Nation"google it.There is some contriversy relatd to it but not the topic for now.The plan would be contacted the producers of this show with a spin off called ....."Aspie Nation"believe me....there is a market for this show.Question for you..."Do you mind hoaring yourself for the mass NT market if the end result could be a community"Faced with the possibility of selling your aspie soul for a future land,can you do it?"I think this would be the fastest way of achieving your goals....something to consider?

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2007, 8:28 pm

I think that's an awesome idea, Krex! How do we get in contact with them? Who else would agree to do this? Cummon, I know you wanna! We're advertising our soul, not selling it! :)

Username88, another wonderful idea! I know of people who got some DIRT DIRT CHEAP trailers for a couple of thousand bucks, as opposed to the hundreds of thousands a house would cost! And a piece of land is another couple of thousand bucks! DIRT DIRT CHEAP! How come I FORGOT about this? A piece of land the size of a backyard goes for only about $4000 in some areas! FILTHY DIRTY CHEAP, I tell you! :D

Javid
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Aug 2007, 9:50 pm

I'd so do the TV show idea, regardless of the commune idea. It'd be fun :p

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2007, 11:17 pm

Woohhoooooooo!

So Krex, Javid and I are in on the TV show thing... and username88 and I are in on the trailer thing. :D

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2007, 12:34 am

Oh, and to add to my last post, we could also get a boat... more mobility, seeing as how expensive gas is... we could just row or sail the boat... but boats are also more expensive, and then harbor space rental is a factor... we COULD live in the ocean though... or we could get a boat eventually and go across the oceans in it... visit each other without worrying about airfare...

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2007, 1:24 am

Ana54 wrote:
Oh, and to add to my last post, we could also get a boat... more mobility, seeing as how expensive gas is... we could just row or sail the boat... but boats are also more expensive, and then harbor space rental is a factor... we COULD live in the ocean though... or we could get a boat eventually and go across the oceans in it... visit each other without worrying about airfare...

I'm afraid of the sea.

ike
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2007, 10:12 am

Ana54 wrote:
Ike, the tent city is surrounded by public buildings with washrooms. :) And furthermore, there are faucets in the tent city that people "shower" at... and there are porta potties there too, for if all the surrounding buildings are closed. :)

Make sure you check the local statutes -- there may be limitations on when, where and for how long portable toilets can be used.

ike
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2007, 10:16 am

I'd be willing to consider the TV show idea.

I've been away from home the past 2 days for a job interview, that's why I didn't reply sooner.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2007, 11:22 am

I wanna do something involved with writing and/or music :P

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2007, 6:29 pm

Right now we should work on just getting a place to live together, and each of us can get a job or jobs in the NT world having to do with your obsession or take courses in something you like. Then we gradually add more and more to the commune. So right now, here's my suggestion:

1. We buy a piece of land the size of a few backyards. A piece of land the size of a backyard only costs about $4000 Canadian or American... I forget which.
2. We buy some trailers (with kitchens and bathrooms) to live in on the land.
3. We buy some stone or brick and cement and stuff to make an outdoor kitchen and dining room!
4. We build a small building to start with, adding on rooms and floors as our group gets bigger and as we get richer.
We can have a flat roof with stairs leading up to a door to it so that we can easily turn it into an upper floor, and then have stairs leading from that floor to the roof in the same way, so that another floor can be built over that one if we need to, etc.

username88
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2007, 6:31 pm

I will litterally spend all of my savings on this. I dont have a whole lot but it will take care of most of the property costs.

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2007, 6:32 pm

I will do the same thing here. I'll go to a temp agency to find an under-the-table job while on social assistance, so that I can make money stress-free! :D

ike
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2007, 9:33 pm

Ana54 wrote:
4. We build a small building to start with, adding on rooms and floors as our group gets bigger and as we get richer.
We can have a flat roof with stairs leading up to a door to it so that we can easily turn it into an upper floor, and then have stairs leading from that floor to the roof in the same way, so that another floor can be built over that one if we need to, etc.

Make sure to be careful with flat roofs. They're easier to build although they tend to be more challenging to maintain, owing to greater accumulation of snow and pooling of water putting more pressure unevenly across the roof and causing the occasional leak. (The reason you don't see as many of them.) Although if the intent is to make it sturdy enough to also be a floor at a later date, I believe that will change the construction somewhat.

Oh you might also consider looking into cob construction (although I don't think it works for multi-story buildings) because I believe they can be built fairly quickly, I know they're "dirt cheap" and I believe they can be set up with plumbing and electric (and of course phone & internet). Though as with anything I imagine there's a fair amount of research involved.