Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2023, 10:26 am

https://scitechdaily.com/a-drug-that-cu ... g-results/

If this treatment / "cure" turns out to work and be safe, would you take it?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2023, 10:32 am

My daughter takes Lamictal several times per day for Epilepsy.
She's still autistic.

If it did work?
No I wouldn't take it.
Putting the brakes on my autism would be like smashing into a brick wall.
It would be like waking up in Oz with no balloon to get home.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2023, 1:12 pm

If it worked (in the sense that it abolished the symptoms of ASD that I don't like without removing the ones I do like) and it was safe, then I'd probably give it a try, as long as I didn't have to pay much money for it. I presume discontinuing it would reverse all its effects and that cutting the dose would reduce them. If not, I'd be more wary. Meanwhile, back in the real world, it's known to have serious side effects in some people, and as for effectiveness, what they say about its effects on mice seems a long way from helping Aspies to overcome their impairments. And Isabella says it doesn't affect her daughter's autism, which seems to show already that it wouldn't work on everybody. So in practice, no thanks.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2023, 1:14 pm

It doesn't cure (or even seem to improve) autism but it helps with other diagnoses I have.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Silence23
Toucan
Toucan

16 Feb 2023, 1:39 pm

I doubt it's possible to make an autistic brain non-autistic. Because autism is a development disorder. Maybe a medication given to kids can induce a more "normal" brain development.

If there suddenly was an "off button" for autism, I would probably be even more disabled, because I'd first have to learn how to deal with a neurotypical brain.