Page 4 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2004
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 46,021
Location: Houston, Texas

01 Sep 2007, 8:04 pm

ike wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
It can't just be any big city. There is only one Aspie woman in Houston who is single, and she is very conservative. There were two that were liberal, but they both had boyfriends.


The more we get out and attend those aspie picnics, the more we advocate for our rights, the more we raise awareness of autism, the more aspie women will be at those picnics. There may not be many right now, but the statistics for AS and other ASD diagnoses are increasing in number. Stick with it. You may not find another aspie for a long time or ever, but your odds are better in a big city, and getting what you want out of life is all about increasing your odds.

Tim_Tex wrote:
I limit myself to other Aspies because no NT would want to be with me.


I'm not convinced that's true either... although as an aspie person it may be somewhat difficult to distinguish between an NT person who likes you as a person and an NT person who views you as a "project" or is interested in you because they need to feel like someone needs them. I think there's a pop-psychology term for that, where a person latches on to someone with an illness or handicap because they need to be a caregiver to feel a sense of self worth. Where their self-worth is dependent upon the other person being reliant on them.

Though I really think it's possible that just about any of us could find an NT person who enjoys our company and who likes us as a person. I'm in that kind of relationship myself right now. (I'm not so sure about my ex.) Tiffany and I are together because we have similar views, similar values and enjoy each other's company. She scores in the normal NT range on the self-administered tests, I score in the average AS range. If you score in the extreme upper end of those tests, it may be a bit more of a challenge, but I don't think it's ever hopeless. And I think it's important not to get into a habit of thinking anything is hopeless -- check out a book titled the Luck Factor and figure out how to apply it to your own life.


The Aspie in Houston (the one who is conservative) is someone I've known for almost 5 years, and one of only three Aspies I have met in person.

Tim


_________________
Who’s better at math than a robot? They’re made of math!


02 Sep 2007, 11:39 am

Why not live in an apartment when you start out or you can live outside of Seattle. You can live in the area or is that expensive too?



Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2004
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 46,021
Location: Houston, Texas

02 Sep 2007, 12:09 pm

likedcalico wrote:
Why not live in an apartment when you start out or you can live outside of Seattle. You can live in the area or is that expensive too?


I'll go look at apartment prices up there. I would eventually like to live in a house, or at least a condo, though, wherever it is I choose to live.

Tim


_________________
Who’s better at math than a robot? They’re made of math!


Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2004
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 46,021
Location: Houston, Texas

02 Sep 2007, 12:11 pm

Depending on the neighborhood, some of the apartments were reasonable.

Thanks for your advice, LC!

Tim


_________________
Who’s better at math than a robot? They’re made of math!


Aerin
Raven
Raven

User avatar

Joined: 22 Aug 2007
Age: 34
Gender: Female
Posts: 114
Location: Spanish Fork, UT

13 Sep 2007, 11:32 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
So, in other words, the entire Pacific Northwest is liberal, and it's not confined to Seattle?

Tim


After living in several cities in the Pacific Northwest and also California, I'd say that the farther north you go, the more interesting the people are. My friend just visited me up here (Port Orchard, WA) from the east SF bay area and he remarked that everyone here must be clever. People seem to really enjoy wordplay here, at least on the marquees and shop names. As much as I love living near Seattle, I like Portland a little better. It seems to be a little rainier and less cold. Also no sales tax and a bunch of my relatives live there. I might even move there soon, if my parents can trust me to not die. Good luck wherever you go!



Last edited by Aerin on 17 Sep 2007, 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2004
Age: 40
Gender: Male
Posts: 46,021
Location: Houston, Texas

16 Sep 2007, 11:14 am

I want to live in Seattle because if you say you're liberal, people in Seattle will think exactly that--a political and social liberal.

In Texas, where I currently live, if you say you're liberal, people will think you're just looking for a one-night stand.

I want to be around people who adhere to the "Seattle" definition of liberal.

Tim


_________________
Who’s better at math than a robot? They’re made of math!