Former President Carter to recieve hospice care

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2023, 5:25 pm

Jimmy Carter to receive hospice care after series of hospital stays

Quote:
Former President Jimmy Carter, 98, has begun receiving hospice care following a series of “short” hospital stays, according to a statement from The Carter Center.

The center said in a post on its website on Saturday that Carter, who is the oldest living president, decided to spend his remaining time at his home with his family and receive hospice care instead of additional medical intervention.

“He has the full support of his family and his medical team,” the statement reads. “The Carter family asks for privacy during this time and is grateful for the concern shown by his many admirers.”

Carter has battled through a series of health challenges in recent years. He was diagnosed in 2015 with melanoma that spread to his liver and brain but said by the end of the year that he was cancer-free after undergoing radiation therapy and cancer immunotherapy.

He was hospitalized on multiple occasions in 2019 after falls he suffered, including one time when he needed surgery after breaking a hip and another time when he needed stitches above his brow.

Carter served as the 39th president of the United States from 1977 to 1981.

At 98 years old, Carter is the longest-lived president, having lived about four years longer than the second-longest lived, George H.W. Bush. He has also had the longest retirement of any president, having a post-presidency of more than 42 years.

Carter, also a peanut farmer, has continued to volunteer for Habitat for Humanity as he has gotten older until recently. He and his wife, Rosalynn, helped repair more than 4,000 homes in 14 countries as of 2019.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2023, 5:46 pm

Perhaps our most decent President. He should have gotten a second term.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2023, 8:40 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Perhaps our most decent President. He should have gotten a second term.

Agree. Reagan was a fascist.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2023, 8:49 pm

Decent president and continued work for peace world wide for decades afterwards.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2023, 6:43 pm

Carter calling Donald Trump an "illegitimate President" back in 2019 was a very brave act, even though "Pumpkin" lashed back at Carter almost immediately.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2023, 9:59 pm

He's had a very good run of it, doing a lot with his life, having a beautiful marriage (from all outside appearances, anyway), and leaving a strong mark with his post-presidency work. I wish him peace and comfort as he enters his final days.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2023, 12:32 am

i hope both he and Rosalyn make it to 3 digits.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2023, 6:10 am

As President I was not a fan. Not realizing the Soviet Union was bad until Afghanistan was a big mistake and he probably should have blockaded Iran when they took the hostages. Congress viewed him as an outsider, and he did not do nearly enough to try and overcome that.

As an ex President nobody comes close. I have always advocated not focusing only on peoples flaws and judging a person by the entirety of their life, thus I will remember him fondly and I suspect historians will also.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman