Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Conspiracy
Butterfly
Butterfly

19 Feb 2023, 4:20 pm

I'm now 31 and want to message some old friends from high school on Facebook asking to meet up again. I just don't want to come across weird and awkward, as I haven't spoken to some of them in 10+ years. How would I go phrasing this?

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2023, 9:41 pm

I would suggest NOT immediately asking to meet up. I would suggest more general messaging first. Carefully study their profiles to see what their current interests are and if they overlap with yours at all. Then send them a mix of (1) general "Hi! How are you? Long time, no see!" and what your own life is generally like these cays, plus (2) stuff specific to your common interests, such as one or two links to a relevant news stories and brief mentions of any relevant things you've personally done.

Only then, after you've exchanged messages a few times, do I think it would be a good idea to ask to meet up. At that point it should be a whole lot less awkward to do so.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2023, 10:12 am

I always get nervous of messaging old schoolfriends on Facebook and arranging to meet up, in case I get rejected and feel embarrassed.
I try to communicate interest by liking some of their posts and commenting nice things what they want to hear, not on every post but just some that seem appropriate to acknowledge. But 9 times out of 10 I never get any likes or comments in return.

But I rather not discuss Facebook here because some people here invent all these rules that don't actually exist on Facebook.
"People will only add you if you know them in person and you both love one another" (so people who have like over a thousand friends know them all in person do they?)
"Your posts have to be mundane to attract likes and comments, not too interesting. But they also have to be interesting to attract likes and comments, not too mundane"
"Don't comment too much or too little. Too much will annoy them, too little will make them think you're not interested in them"
"Make your profile picture attractive"

These rules aren't as cut and dry as that. I think my fuck-off vibes follow me on Facebook as well as offline.