Page 5 of 7 [ 109 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2023, 1:36 am

Rexi wrote:
Pepe wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
If you don’t want kids, fine. I’m just saying they aren’t nearly as bad as you might think. For every situation there is a solution.

When I was a young child, I reasoned that if I was never born I would never be in a position where I might endure eternal torment in hell.
Why would parents do that to their children? :scratch:

Give me oblivion any day of the week. 8)

You didn't reach the umbilical cord to strangle yourself with it before coming out into this cruel life? :P

The Catholic church covered that base.
It was (I don't know if it has changed policy) a mortal sin to commit suicide.

I was snookered.
As a fetus, with my fetus's brain, I realised that strangling myself with my own umbilical cord would fast-track me to eternal damnation. 8O
I reasoned that at least I had a shot at going to heaven if I did the hard-living yakka.
I am not sure it was a good choice. :mrgreen: <satire>

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2023, 1:42 am

Mikah wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
If you don’t want kids, fine.

Yeah. If you are set against it, that's all well and good, but many are not sure. If you are on the fence - well, all I can say is that I think people, women in particular, regret not having children more often than they regret having them. It's a very deeply ingrained urge that often surfaces right at the close - often causing an overwhelming tidal wave of misery if it turns out to have been left too late - which is why medical professionals are very wary about doing things that might make people permanently unable to procreate.

Reason would suggest it is NEVER a good/moral idea to have children.
Being blackmailed into action by emotionalistic instinct is NEVER a rational decision.

Personally speaking, living life on the crest of emotional whims is something I have no respect for. 8)

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2023, 2:03 am

Rexi wrote:
There was a group dedicated to shaming people on the spectrum for not desiring to have children so I am glad about that too, that I am not like the others following a flow and the fact we'd get targeted is a positive confirmation that we are deep thinkers and victims who are naturally good.

Assuming that group doing the shaming was also on the spectrum I say:
What happened to your autistic uniqueness, your individuality, your defiance against social pressure?
What have you become?
Some simps for a social NT narrative? :scratch:
Shame. :shameonyou: :mrgreen:

If it was an NT group, then continue your anti-intellectual nonsense and see how far it gets you. 8)

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2023, 2:09 am

Pepe wrote:
Rexi wrote:
Pepe wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
If you don’t want kids, fine. I’m just saying they aren’t nearly as bad as you might think. For every situation there is a solution.

When I was a young child, I reasoned that if I was never born I would never be in a position where I might endure eternal torment in hell.

You didn't reach the umbilical cord to strangle yourself with it before coming out into this cruel life? :P

I was snookered.
As a fetus, with my fetus's brain, I realised that strangling myself with my own umbilical cord would fast-track me to eternal damnation. 8O
I reasoned that at least I had a shot at going to heaven if I did the hard-living yakka.

hmm that is how I was born, my mom had to get a somewhat early emergency c-section because I got tangled up win the umbilical cord and was getting strangled by it. I do wonder if that has anything to do with my presenting as being autistic...but always lingers in my mind if I just had early brain damage due to my rather traumatic birth or is it really autism.

Then my mom had 3 other kids, like idk how she did it after that cause sure I could have ended up a still birth, but like she still had it in her to have 3 more kids. Like sure that's cool since it was her choice but yeah I never even want to have one kid let alone 4 of them, like to go through birth that many times like yeah I couldn't do it. And don't get me wrong I love my siblings but after how difficult birthing me was it seems kind of crazy she was willing to go through it 3 more times.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2023, 2:18 am

Rexi wrote:
There is just too much wrong with autism and the flesh without putting such responsibility on myself, another and a kid. Plus, I never understood why people are so selfish to not adopt instead of breeding. It's like when icecream exists in the fridge and will keep being created but you make more and let the other spoil. :| But these are real human beings which at this point are valueless.

I haven't yet figured a career out, my own health, and going shopping for myself rises issues beyond normality. I won't tell you about my womb and spine but birth would affect those things in very detrimental ways. Birth is not a gift upon any woman.

Society makes no sense to me, children struggle in schools for no reasons with nothing useful to learn, bullying and indoctrination and as a parent you have to help them, buy them things, take them to events and the state can pressure you into earning more money if you're divorced and if it thinks that you can earn more, that just makes autistic issues with jobs even worse. The idea is to progress not make life impossible and become a tree branching out affecting everyone around you in negative ways.

The idea of children was not invented, nature is not enlightened and has not made the best choices for humanity, contrary to that, we walk on two legs which is inferior to our ancestors, among other important things. It disturbs me what society created, and we also have Putin, and most of my exes, family members and their friends, its 'proud' creations.

There's no reason to propagate the madness. Neighbors can't stand me and understand me. They say it's a prison, the building we live in packed up yet they still breed. Don't they realize that these people are the result of births? The state of not having available space and homes is a result of communism refusal to offer contraceptive means. We are but a tool for the state to achieve its goals. Humanoids who get married and have children get benefits. There's no tests to see if the couple is fit for one another or for children, if the state wishes so badly to meddle in the population's breeding program. And you can get pregnant at 12.

Breeding is a huge responsibility. Human beings are rarely using their logical brain in their decision making. Such a thing does not become taught in families and schools. There forms an imbalance between overpopulation and undereducation.

That is also why some wanted and unwanted pregnancies happen.

There are times when humans have some personality traits that expose them to risk taking. Because humans have not intelligently chosen whom to sleep with they have created personality and intelligence disadvantages in the species. We are responsible for the future of humanity when we choose how and whom to have sex with, beyond causing a problem we are not ready for in our or the other person's future.

Risk takers might not pursue treatment for their issues because they are enjoying the momentary satisfaction, and in some cultures or families it is regarded as shameful to start being mentally treated.

Agreed.
"Eyes wide shut!" 8)

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2023, 4:43 pm

Pepe wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Quote:
I don't want children -- stop telling me I'll change my mind | Christen Reighter
TED
22.5M subscribers
2,398,240 views Dec 8, 2017
One in five women in the United States will not have a biological child, and Christen Reighter is one of them. From a young age, she knew she didn't want kids, in spite of the insistence of many people (including her doctor) who told her she'd change her mind. In this powerful talk, she shares her story of seeking sterilization -- and makes the case that motherhood is an extension of womanhood, not the definition.

Well thats fine with me if you dont want kids but I want as many kids as possible with my future wife since I am Quiverfull.

Your life...
Your choice...
I am not a social activist...
I am simply presenting a POV. 8)

Okay kool.

FlaminPika
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Mar 2023, 7:19 am

Antinatalist here. Just going to add my 2 cents from a neutral perspective purely based on how I naturally tend to see things.

When it comes to the desire to have children that seems to apply to the vast majority of people, I feel like there are obviously social factors at work that influence people's positive views on raising a family. We are taught that specific pursuits (love and sex, having a high income, raising children etc) are what give our lives meaning as set paths are already paved for us by our culture.

So if a person is unable to achieve any of these heights they're expected to feel unfilfilled or miserable,
because there isn't ostensibly much to fill the void besides these particular metrics of value and success. A person unable to achieve these high feats in older age may experience existential dread, low self-esteem, depression, loneliness etc. It's just a lot to live up to but most manage to get there with time. But I believe these feats are slowly becoming more difficult even for well adjusted people.

But back to the main topic: I remember an instance of some natalist conservatives on social media expressing ridicule towards an older woman who was proud to be single and childless which I thought was pretty ridiculous. To me it reads "You don't want to do what almost every other woman in existence wants to do, which is bad. It doesn't matter if it's not right for you personally, and it doesn't matter why. None of the potential consequences matter. You're not doing what everyone else does so you're bad."

But at the end of the day people are just looking to add meaning and joy to their lives and while having children is a tremendous responsibility and challenging investment, the idea of bringing life into the world appears to be one of the most profound experiences a person can go through and can be incredibly fulfilling to most people, so it's not too surprising so many dream to have kids and don't really think too much of the consequences such as those already mentioned here.

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: "I know there's nothing we can do. But my heart can't accept it." "If this is real, then I want to change the future."

20 Mar 2023, 2:32 pm

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Quote:
I don't want children -- stop telling me I'll change my mind | Christen Reighter
TED
22.5M subscribers
One in five women in the United States will not have a biological child, and Christen Reighter is one of them. From a young age, she knew she didn't want kids, in spite of the insistence of many people (including her doctor) who told her she'd change her mind. In this powerful talk, she shares her story of seeking sterilization -- and makes the case that motherhood is an extension of womanhood, not the definition.

Well thats fine with me if you dont want kids but I want as many kids as possible with my future wife since I am Quiverfull.

What about the kids and the wife's body tho. I fear for her health and identity being used as a religious resource for the purpose to get into heaven.

Also because there's no proof God exists why not stick to what we know, e.g. psychology, sociology, science, resource management?

I know about religious cults and tradition based decisions, they're not letting people think and they indoctrinate children taking away their personal decisions. Such a doctrine would be harmful to all those children.

Any topic, PM me; mind my profile.

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: "I know there's nothing we can do. But my heart can't accept it." "If this is real, then I want to change the future."

20 Mar 2023, 2:43 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Rexi wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
Rexi wrote:
Children manipulate parents against one another (I think someone already said it)

If kids think they can get away with it, yessir, they most certainly will.

My wife and I have a particular style of parenting. We didn’t expect our kids to do it to us, so when our kids tried it, it caught us off guard.

What are kids didn’t count on is that their mother and I communicate. About EVERYTHING. One time wife came to me and asked why I said our son could have a treat. I never gave him permission to do that, and he was sneaking something right in front of his mother. He had also gotten permission from his mother for something else after I made it clear he wasn’t supposed to do it.

We noticed the second time he did something like that, and by this point he knew it would cause an argument between us. So we did two things. We told our two oldest children that we were together long before we had children and our relationship is everything. Second, we made sure the consequences were severe enough and consistent so they’d never want to try that again. There are a number of minor annoyances and infractions kids will always get away with. Messing with a marriage is inexcusable.

I think maybe the hardest part is dealing with teenagers when the discipline is inconsistent in early childhood. It’s easy to be tough on a 3 year old. If you are so inclined, it’s not terribly difficult spanking a 7 year old. If you don’t have certain behaviors established between 3 and 8, you’ve lost the child. If you have a teen wrecking your house, be prepared to negotiate and compromise. It’s also possible to make a difficult child a ward of the state. They need to know that. What we tell our teens is that they just have to hang on a few more years and this part is over. Thing is…they like us too much to leave!

There is just too much wrong with autism and the flesh without putting such responsibility on myself, another and a kid. Plus, I never understood why people are so selfish to not adopt instead of breeding. It's like when icecream exists in the fridge and will keep being created but you make more and let the other spoil. :| But these are real human beings which at this point are valueless.

I haven't yet figured a career out, my own health, and going shopping for myself rises issues beyond normality. I won't tell you about my womb and spine but birth would affect those things in very detrimental ways. Birth is not a gift upon any woman.

Society makes no sense to me, children struggle in schools for no reasons with nothing useful to learn, bullying and indoctrination and as a parent you have to help them, buy them things, take them to events and the state can pressure you into earning more money if you're divorced and if it thinks that you can earn more, that just makes autistic issues with jobs even worse. The idea is to progress not make life impossible and become a tree branching out affecting everyone around you in negative ways.

The idea of children was not invented, nature is not enlightened and has not made the best choices for humanity, contrary to that, we walk on two legs which is inferior to our ancestors, among other important things. It disturbs me what society created, and we also have Putin, and most of my exes, family members and their friends, its 'proud' creations.

There's no reason to propagate the madness. Neighbors can't stand me and understand me. They say it's a prison, the building we live in packed up yet they still breed. Don't they realize that these people are the result of births? The state of not having available space and homes is a result of communism refusal to offer contraceptive means. We are but a tool for the state to achieve its goals. Humanoids who get married and have children get benefits. There's no tests to see if the couple is fit for one another or for children, if the state wishes so badly to meddle in the population's breeding program. And you can get pregnant at 12.

Breeding is a huge responsibility. Human beings are rarely using their logical brain in their decision making. Such a thing does not become taught in families and schools. There forms an imbalance between overpopulation and undereducation.

There are times when humans have some personality traits that expose them to risk taking. Because humans have not intelligently chosen whom to sleep with they have created personality and intelligence disadvantages in the species. We are responsible for the future of humanity when we choose how and whom to have sex with, beyond causing a problem we are not ready for in our or the other person's future.

Risk takers might not pursue treatment for their issues because they are enjoying the momentary satisfaction, and in some cultures or families it is regarded as shameful to start being mentally treated.

The same people who say they want the guv'ment to stay out of their business are the same people who want the government to regulate breeding.

The govt bias has become that obvious.

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2023, 2:50 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Rexi wrote:
Pepe wrote:
AngelRho wrote:

I was snookered.

hmm that is how I was born, my mom had to get a somewhat early emergency c-section because I got tangled up win the umbilical cord and was getting strangled by it. I do wonder if that has anything to do with my presenting as being autistic...but always lingers in my mind if I just had early brain damage due to my rather traumatic birth or is it really autism.

Then my mom had 3 other kids, like idk how she did it after that cause sure I could have ended up a still birth, but like she still had it in her to have 3 more kids. Like sure that's cool since it was her choice but yeah I never even want to have one kid let alone 4 of them, like to go through birth that many times like yeah I couldn't do it. And don't get me wrong I love my siblings but after how difficult birthing me was it seems kind of crazy she was willing to go through it 3 more times.

I have read some women enjoy it so much they get addicted, and some of them become surrogate mothers because they even like pregnancy and birth. 8O
We're lucky not to have a special interest in popping babies. :o

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2023, 2:56 pm

FlaminPika wrote:

But back to the main topic: I remember an instance of some natalist conservatives on social media expressing ridicule towards an older woman who was proud to be single and childless which I thought was pretty ridiculous. To me it reads "You don't want to do what almost every other woman in existence wants to do, which is bad. It doesn't matter if it's not right for you personally, and it doesn't matter why. None of the potential consequences matter. You're not doing what everyone else does so you're bad."

I don't know how people can think about that, but also say it, something's certainly wrong.

I think maybe for some it's not even that complex because they like being bad and get attention and feel good when they oppress others.

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2023, 2:59 pm

FlaminPika wrote:
Antinatalist here. Just going to add my 2 cents from a neutral perspective purely based on how I naturally tend to see things.

When it comes to the desire to have children that seems to apply to the vast majority of people, I feel like there are obviously social factors at work that influence people's positive views on raising a family. We are taught that specific pursuits (love and sex, having a high income, raising children etc) are what give our lives meaning as set paths are already paved for us by our culture.

So if a person is unable to achieve any of these heights they're expected to feel unfilfilled or miserable,
because there isn't ostensibly much to fill the void besides these particular metrics of value and success. A person unable to achieve these high feats in older age may experience existential dread, low self-esteem, depression, loneliness etc. It's just a lot to live up to but most manage to get there with time. But I believe these feats are slowly becoming more difficult even for well adjusted people.

But at the end of the day people are just looking to add meaning and joy to their lives and while having children is a tremendous responsibility and challenging investment, the idea of bringing life into the world appears to be one of the most profound experiences a person can go through and can be incredibly fulfilling to most people, so it's not too surprising so many dream to have kids and don't really think too much of the consequences such as those already mentioned here.

I think Putin is looking to add meaning too, unfortunately. :P

People should ideally do it without affecting others.

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2023, 3:47 pm

Pepe wrote:
Mikah wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
If you don’t want kids, fine.

Yeah. If you are set against it, that's all well and good, but many are not sure. If you are on the fence - well, all I can say is that I think people, women in particular, regret not having children more often than they regret having them. It's a very deeply ingrained urge that often surfaces right at the close - often causing an overwhelming tidal wave of misery if it turns out to have been left too late - which is why medical professionals are very wary about doing things that might make people permanently unable to procreate.

Reason would suggest it is NEVER a good/moral idea to have children.
Being blackmailed into action by emotionalistic instinct is NEVER a rational decision.

Personally speaking, living life on the crest of emotional whims is something I have no respect for. 8)

I respectfully disagree. What's important is that it is a decision made by the individuals involved.

Children are extensions of their parents. I know, it's not a popular view, but it's the truth. Although I happen to believe in an afterlife, I do believe that for all PRACTICAL purposes the individual ceases to exist in any physical, material sense. Having children is a means of achieving a form of physical immortality. When you have children, you have the capability to continue your physical presence beyond death. Doing so has to potential to profoundly affect the world after you're gone.

I would argue that it is more rational to have children than not. You could say that it's selfish, or that it's cruel to bring children into the world as it is. But I think having children in this world reflects the hope of the parents that the next generations can create a better world than the one they're born into. I mean...we talk about how bad the world is today. But the day is rapidly approaching that no living person will have any memory of Hiroshima. No living person will have any memory of nuclear testing and proliferation. No one will remember World War 2 or the Holocaust. They won't remember anything like those things. Arguable the world of the Vietnam War was a better world than the World Wars. You also had a rise in anti-war activism. We got rid of the draft, too. So the world post-Vietnam is better than during the Vietnam War. When my generation passes nobody will even remember the Gulf Wars or Afghanistan. With the exception of Russia/Ukraine, our world is at relative peace. Our children will remember these things and work towards a better world for themselves and for their own children. Except that we all want and hope for a better world, there's nothing really emotional about it. It makes better sense to have children than not.

There are also GOOD REASONS to NOT have children. I just happen to believe that it's usually more emotional to not have them than to have them.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2023, 7:39 pm

Rexi wrote:
Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Quote:
TED
22.5M subscribers

What about the kids and the wife's body tho. I fear for her health and identity being used as a religious resource for the purpose to get into heaven.

Also because there's no proof God exists why not stick to what we know, e.g. psychology, sociology, science, resource management?

I know about religious cults and tradition based decisions, they're not letting people think and they indoctrinate children taking away their personal decisions. Such a doctrine would be harmful to all those children.

I would much rather raise my children according to the teachings and doctrines and wisdom of the church of Christ and the Bible than the teachings of science,sociology, and psychology.I think that raising my kids in the doctrines of the church of Christ would be very beneficial to them.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2023, 12:30 am

Rexi wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
Rexi wrote:
AngelRho wrote:
Rexi wrote:
Children manipulate parents against one another (I think someone already said it)

If kids think they can get away with it, yessir, they most certainly will.

My wife and I have a particular style of parenting. We didn’t expect our kids to do it to us, so when our kids tried it, it caught us off guard.

What are kids didn’t count on is that their mother and I communicate. About EVERYTHING. One time wife came to me and asked why I said our son could have a treat. I never gave him permission to do that, and he was sneaking something right in front of his mother. He had also gotten permission from his mother for something else after I made it clear he wasn’t supposed to do it.

We noticed the second time he did something like that, and by this point he knew it would cause an argument between us. So we did two things. We told our two oldest children that we were together long before we had children and our relationship is everything. Second, we made sure the consequences were severe enough and consistent so they’d never want to try that again. There are a number of minor annoyances and infractions kids will always get away with. Messing with a marriage is inexcusable.

I think maybe the hardest part is dealing with teenagers when the discipline is inconsistent in early childhood. It’s easy to be tough on a 3 year old. If you are so inclined, it’s not terribly difficult spanking a 7 year old. If you don’t have certain behaviors established between 3 and 8, you’ve lost the child. If you have a teen wrecking your house, be prepared to negotiate and compromise. It’s also possible to make a difficult child a ward of the state. They need to know that. What we tell our teens is that they just have to hang on a few more years and this part is over. Thing is…they like us too much to leave!

The same people who say they want the guv'ment to stay out of their business are the same people who want the government to regulate breeding.

The govt bias has become that obvious.

When the government man says he wants smaller government, that's like the fox saying he wants less eggs.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2023, 3:23 am

AngelRho wrote:
Children are extensions of their parents. I know, it's not a popular view, but it's the truth. Although I happen to believe in an afterlife, I do believe that for all PRACTICAL purposes the individual ceases to exist in any physical, material sense. Having children is a means of achieving a form of physical immortality. When you have children, you have the capability to continue your physical presence beyond death. Doing so has to potential to profoundly affect the world after you're gone.

Respectfully, how is that a good thing?
Isn't "life" synonymous with "suffering"?
Just ask Jesus Crist.