Page 1 of 6 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Lecia_Wynter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Feb 2023, 9:05 am

Fishing is immoral and should be illegal. Ban fishing. The equivalent of fishing would be drowning a bunch of mammals and watching them die slowly. The only legal fishing should be bow fishing or gun fishing. The way they could legalize traditional fishing is through bb fishing, it would require 2 people to fish though. One person fishes then when they catch the fish, the other person shoots the fish in the head with a bb, the bb or pellet would need to have more velocity than the legal minimum velocity.

I don't know how society has let fishing slide for this many years. It is unethical and animal abuse. The only reasoning they have is "that's the way its always been done, that's the way we've always done it." Troglodyte amoral reasoning. In all other forms of hunting, the hunters are always trying to upgrade their bows, and upgrade their guns for the cleanest and most humane kills possible, all except for fishing. Fishing is like some bizarre exclusion that is outside the realm of logic. It is too primitive and needs to be improved.

Readydaer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2023, 9:19 am

this is a good point, however it's not just that people don't want to change the way it's done- it's simply too expensive to justify being ethical. That's capitalism for ya.

also, feesh tasty

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2023, 9:54 am

John, the Beloved wrote:
Early in the morning, Jesus stood on the shore, but the disciples did not recognize that it was Jesus.  So He called out to them, “Children, do you have any fish?”

“No,” they answered.

He told them, “Cast the net on the right side of the boat, and you will find some.”  So they cast it there, and they were unable to haul it in because of the great number of fish.

Then the disciple whom Jesus loved said to Peter, “It is the Lord!”  As soon as Simon Peter heard that it was the Lord, he put on his outer garment (for he had removed it) and jumped into the sea.  The other disciples came ashore in the boat.  They dragged in the net full of fish, for they were not far from land, only about a hundred yards.

When they landed, they saw a charcoal fire there with fish on it, and some bread.

Jesus told them, “Bring some of the fish you have just caught.”  So Simon Peter went aboard and dragged the net ashore. It was full of large fish, 153, but even with so many, the net was not torn.

“Come, have breakfast,” Jesus said to them.  None of the disciples dared to ask Him, “Who are You?”  They knew it was the Lord.  Jesus came and took the bread and gave it to them, and He did the same with the fish.

Jesus Himself directed people to catch and eat fish.  This makes the catching and eating of fish moral.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2023, 9:57 am

Jesus disciples were fishermen. Jesus was a fisher of men. But I am a man of fish.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2023, 12:23 pm

Fnord wrote:
Jesus Himself directed people to catch and eat fish.  This makes the catching and eating of fish moral.

I suppose that's a strong argument if you're a Christian. But not if you aren't.

As for my view, fishing looks cruel, so I'd feel guilty if I did it, especially as I don't have to do it. So I don't fish and I don't eat fish.

JimJohn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Feb 2023, 12:45 pm

I would argue that it is more human for a mammal or fish to live free as nature intended and drown than live the life of a slaughterhouse pig and be shot.

Granted the pig would not even be in existence if we had not domesticated it.

Drowning doesn’t rank really high on worst ways to die. My sympathies to those who have involved in such tragedies.

Here is just another random point. There is nothing stopping someone from euthanizing fish immediately upon catching them. I think the flaw in your scenario is enforcing it. They apparently have reasons for what they do. Hunters commonly euthanize animals they hunt. There is more than one reason for that.

Some markets that sell fish are trying to keep them alive as long as possible. Think of an Asian market with the fish in water or on ice.

You know one thing that should probably be outlawed is keeping Bettas in an unheated little bowls. Those fish are bought to be kept in a little bowl and they don’t even eat because the water is too cold. That is a weird practice. Oh, Mr. Giggles is just fine.

Readydaer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2023, 1:34 pm

Fnord wrote:
John, the Beloved wrote:
Early in the morning, Jesus stood on the shore, but the disciples did not recognize that it was Jesus.  So He called out to them, “Children, do you have any fish?”

“No,” they answered.

He told them, “Cast the net on the right side of the boat, and you will find some.”  So they cast it there, and they were unable to haul it in because of the great number of fish.

Then the disciple whom Jesus loved said to Peter, “It is the Lord!”  As soon as Simon Peter heard that it was the Lord, he put on his outer garment (for he had removed it) and jumped into the sea.  The other disciples came ashore in the boat.  They dragged in the net full of fish, for they were not far from land, only about a hundred yards.

When they landed, they saw a charcoal fire there with fish on it, and some bread.

Jesus told them, “Bring some of the fish you have just caught.”  So Simon Peter went aboard and dragged the net ashore. It was full of large fish, 153, but even with so many, the net was not torn.

“Come, have breakfast,” Jesus said to them.  None of the disciples dared to ask Him, “Who are You?”  They knew it was the Lord.  Jesus came and took the bread and gave it to them, and He did the same with the fish.

how exactly does one random dude catching fish mean that humanity as a whole is allowed to catch fish that way. Jesus wasn't particularly special or divine. Just a nice guy with big ideas. He doesn't dictate humanity, and neither should tradition

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2023, 4:58 pm

The more fish we eat the fewer birds and mammals we have to kill for food.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2023, 5:43 pm

Don’t forget the lobsters, now THAT is super cruel.

Maybe humans should create a killing nest technology?
They used bombs in the past, but this had been banned because it killed eggs and other lifeforms too.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2023, 6:53 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
Fnord wrote:
I suppose that's a strong argument if you're a Christian. But not if you aren't.
Certainly.  But just saying that thus-and-such is immoral does not make it immoral.  PETA has been having its day with the whole "ethical treatment of animals" thing, yet people still eat meat.
ToughDiamond wrote:
As for my view, fishing looks cruel, so I'd feel guilty if I did it, especially as I don't have to do it.  So I don't fish and I don't eat fish.
Some seafood I like.  Some seafood I do not like.  Personal tastes matter.

So what it all comes down to is an individual's personal choice.  We do not need some self-appointed ad-hoc "expert" to tell us what is moral and immoral -- we already have way more than enough religious leaders for that.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2023, 7:31 pm

In order for us (or any living creature) to survive, something else has to die. Period.

Vegans and vegetarians kill plants to survive. Plants are living creatures too and frequently they are eaten raw, which means the cells are alive when you crunch them between your teeth, or shatter them in your blender. Increasing evidence shows plants communicate with and help each other. At least I kill my food before I eat it. (And yes, I have killed my own meat and fish.)

Personally, I am more empathic to plants than other humans and animals. I would prefer plants be treated with more respect. I am serious here. This is not sarcasm.

There are sustainable issues which make eating plants better than eating animals, but you are still killing something.

In regards to fishing; if someone is fishing for food, kills and eats what they catch, that is just part of life. Something has to die for you to live.

I have a bit more problem with people who catch and release. That IS cruel to the fish. But one could also justify it as honing survival skills.

Basically, most of us no longer have to confront the deaths our existence requires.

RushKing
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2023, 10:25 pm

blazingstar wrote:
Personally, I am more empathic to plants than other humans and animals. I would prefer plants be treated with more respect. I am serious here. This is not sarcasm.

So you're saying vegans should be more empathetic to organisms without feelings, and disregard the ones with feelings?

Last edited by RushKing on 20 Feb 2023, 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Readydaer
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2023, 10:28 pm

i think the entire vegan debate is silly. They're hurting plants when they eat vegetarian, same with fungi, etc. Might as well just starve themselves if they're so obsessed with being ethical because nothing is ethical

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2023, 10:53 pm

Define moral?

Highlander852456
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Feb 2023, 11:08 pm

Objectively we humans relate to suffering of others animals, because they are like us, and with empathy we can see it as wrong.

However its hard to say its immoral, as yet, people still eat meat to survive.

I think objectively its the right thing to do, to not harm animals as long as possible.
The practices of farming industry and fishing industry are barbaric.
Unfortunately they are sustaining us.

Objectively its immoral to kill anything without a sufficient reasons.
But even people kill each other for resources.

We humans are not so evolved today just because we have internet and forums, we are still primitive.
We are smart primitives though.

Being smart and primitive with lots of tech still does not make us above our own nature.
Our nature unfortunately is to eat meat as well.
I have heard arguments for veganism and they check out.
So I don't have beef with people who think they are more moral and eliminate meat from diet for concern for animals, as long as they know what they are doing and how to eat healthy vegan food.
Because veganism is not easy, and it can lead to serious health issues if you don't know how to do it right.

Indians in many regions don't hurt cows.
They consider them sacred.

I would say humans are more or less picky about what is and what is not moral, and often times context matters.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2023, 11:14 pm

RushKing wrote:
blazingstar wrote:

So you're saying vegans should be more empathetic to organisms without feelings, and disregard the ones with feelings?

I’m saying people need to consider all life when making ethical or moral judgements.

How do you know which life forms have feelings? Some people believe fish have no feelings. Increasingly scientific research shows plants can communicate and assist neighboring plants that are threatened. What have you (editorially) learned about these topics before making a moral judgement?