Majorie Taylor Greene calls for 'national divorce'

Page 1 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2023, 12:57 pm

Despite her role, Marjorie Taylor Greene backs ‘national divorce’

Quote:
In late 2021, Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene briefly referenced “a National Divorce scenario” that seemed to allude to the dissolution of the United States. About a year later, the Georgia Republican seemed to predict a “national divorce” in response to the CDC adding Covid shots to its list of recommended vaccine schedules.

This morning, as some elected officials released statements recognizing the Presidents’ Day holiday, the right-wing congresswoman published a message to Twitter that steered clear of traditional American patriotism. The missive read in its entirety:

“We need a national divorce. We need to separate by red states and blue states and shrink the federal government. Everyone I talk to says this. From the sick and disgusting woke culture issues shoved down our throats to the Democrat’s [sic] traitorous America Last policies, we are done.”

At face value, this isn’t especially surprising.

But let’s not lose sight of the larger context: House Speaker Kevin McCarthy and GOP leaders recently rewarded Greene with committee assignments, including a slot on the House Homeland Security Committee. Are Republicans prepared to defend a member of the House Homeland Security Committee openly endorsing the dissolution of the United States?

That’s not a rhetorical question. GOP leaders should let the public know whether they’re comfortable with such a dynamic — and what they’re prepared to do in response if they’re not comfortable with such a dynamic.

Indeed, that’s ultimately what matters most in response to so many of the controversies Greene creates. Her extremism is routine to the point that’s become background noise. Basic American patriotism generally prevents elected officials from endorsing the dissolution of the United States, but we’ve reached the point in our collective history at which members of Congress can publish such messages — which would’ve sparked a genuine scandal in the not-too-distant past — and much of the political world shrugs, seeing it as somehow routine.

I will never leave that woman,” McCarthy reportedly told a friend, referring to Greene, after his hard-fought struggle to win the speaker’s gavel. “I will always take care of her.”

Does that sentiment have a limit?

The answer these days is no for the reasons the author stated.

She should be expelled by the end of the day. Instead we might get a few members of the party that complains about virtue signaling saying bad bad Marjorie, that’s it.

And those of you who still vote Republican to own the libs, or because the Dems are worse this is what you are enabling. Lesser of two evils you say, It is beyond me to find anything beyond supporting genocide worse than supporting dissolution of the Union. If this divorce happens no matter what the intent it is not going to be a friendly one. The last time we tried a hostile divorce over 600,000 people were killed. At that time we had a tenth of the population we have now and there were no weapons of mass destruction and we were not dependent on electricity and computers.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2023, 3:44 pm

Does she want a seperate white homeland as well?

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2023, 3:49 pm

A wall to separate red states from blue states. Stop stealing my American dystopia ideas!

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2023, 10:13 pm

Imagine how badly this will go for poor red states once the teet is removed from their mouth.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2023, 10:42 pm

You know what I don't understand? Why is it that the people in this country who hate deplorables from the red states so much don't want us to get a divorce? I mean what exactly is in it for them to keep certain people bound to this so-called union when they clearly loathe them?

Could it be exploitation of some type?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2023, 12:38 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
You know what I don't understand? Why is it that the people in this country who hate deplorables from the red states so much don't want us to get a divorce? I mean what exactly is in it for them to keep certain people bound to this so-called union when they clearly loathe them?

Could it possibly be empathy for the people who would be stuck in Worse America?

It's not like red states are pure red or blue states are pure blue, most red states have blue cities. Biden won GA, MTG's home state. She'd be stuck in blue America.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2023, 1:07 am

Isn't this just a rehashing of the Civil War? I guess a name for her group of states would be the Confederacy.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2023, 4:47 am

I don't know, but it seems to me like if you make a group of any number of people of any persuasion, sooner or later they'll divide themselves into two major groups with a few small ones orbiting around. You see this all over the world, not just America.

I deeply suspect you'd just end up with two countries, both internally divided on a more or less 50/50 split.

I can see the temptations of splitting a country by ideology and seeing which side does better but I can't see a way of equally distributing the attributes of a landmass. There would always be one side or another claiming the other had an unfair advantage.

slam_thunderhide
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Feb 2023, 6:19 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:

Yes, a very good point, and I totally agree.

funeralxempire wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:

Could it possibly be empathy for the people who would be stuck in Worse America?

It's not like red states are pure red or blue states are pure blue, most red states have blue cities. Biden won GA, MTG's home state. She'd be stuck in blue America.

"Empathy for the people who would be stuck in Worse America?"

I doubt it. I wouldn't be surprised if you'd never considered the question before, and just made up that answer on the spur of the moment.

In a modern society like America, people are frequently relocating either for work or for lifestyle. We're supposed to believe that this is one of the wonders of the modern economy - that most people can work from anywhere, and find opportunities anywhere. And the US government manages to resettle refugees throughout the country year after year.

And yet we're supposed to believe that in some hypothetical situation where the US split in two, nobody would have any choice but to simply stay where they were.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2023, 6:36 am

funeralxempire wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:

Couldn't it be more complex than either exploitation or empathy? Couldn't it be an acknowledgement that the existence of all ranges of a modern society are deeply symbiotic and unpicking them would be both extremely time consuming and expensive as well us ultimately futile since neither can exist (in the way we currently exist, that is) without the other.

Clearly something is wrong, the balance is off and both sides feel aggrieved. I do sometimes think that a country as geographically enormous and diverse in population as America is too big to govern effectively. Whether it was easier to gloss over that while America was on the ascendent economically and culturally, now it seems to have plateaued it's very easy to look inwards for something to blame.

But then, we have the same problem in a relatively tiny country like the UK. So maybe it's nothing to do with size.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2023, 9:51 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:

How about self preservation of order, currency valuation, not being in a state of civil war, not watching the USA devolve domestically and on the world stage, not watching the government fall apart nor military etc etc as taxes aren’t paid nor programs funded, same same for social security, medicaid/care or whatever you call them and so on.

Just because marriage failure greene got divorced and has all these problems on a household scale doesn’t mean Americans should accept them on a national scale. Wtf?

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2023, 11:30 am

slam_thunderhide wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:

Yes, a very good point, and I totally agree.

How exactly are they being exploited? They're mostly lower GDP states.

slam_thunderhide wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:

"Empathy for the people who would be stuck in Worse America?"

I doubt it. I wouldn't be surprised if you'd never considered the question before, and just made up that answer on the spur of the moment.

Or it's like I know decent people who live in red states. :roll:

Got anything more than an ignorant assumption?

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2023, 1:38 pm

Holy CR8P, Dear Lord, Marjorie Taylor Green
Calls for 'National Divorce;' 'Splitting'

The Country Up Into One Red And

Other Blue Part, According to Red

States and Blue States AS Such;

Face Palms Forest Thick in

The Deeper States South; Yes,

As Already in Matt Gaetz And

DeSaTaNiS and TRuMP Country

The Local Officials Are Banning Books

in Schools Based on Homophobic And

Transphobic And 'Other Color' Discrimination Input From 'Parents'

AS Such All the Way From Black And White to Rainbow Colors for Real...

You Know What; of Course

She Already Understands

This Reality, And Of Course

If She Really Got Her CR8ppy

So-Called Wish As Folks Already Are

(She'd Really Be CR9PPinG Her Pants)

Bonding and Binding Yes Around The

DarK Holy CR8P That God Yes Ignorance,

Fear, Anger, And Hate Yes Brings in Terms

Now of Adrenaline Hormones And Dopamine

Addictions Same As Fear and Anger Brings

Against Some Real or Imaginary Devil Enemy;

Or Even For Some Imaginary Or Real Angel Ally More

Focused on the Warm Feelings of Oxytocin; Not So

'God Dammed'

Tainted

By Ignorance,
Fear, Anger, And Or
Hate Against 'The Other'...

Yawn, THere is A Better Way of 'Religion' Than That Hehe...

Chickens Are Making Noise Again; Let Them Lay Their Eggs in Peace
And or What
Gets Stuck

Below

on

Shoes;

For It's

True For
Whatever

They 'Left' Behind...

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2023, 2:41 pm

We are of course dancing around the primary issue why even the republicans have distanced themselves from MTG
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/1 ... eos-325579

She has in the past spoken at far-right events (quite common nowadays for many republicans) and has been an advocate of the great replacement theory which is a racist concept normalised first by Trump supporters, then Turning Point USA and Tucker Carlson.

In the article it makes it clear what she means when she wants a divorce. She is speaking about a far right fantasy of a pre-civil war white homeland. I find this type of wolf-whistling to the far-right strange because 70-80% of regional USA is still ethnically homogenous between 80-99% white.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2023, 2:53 pm

cyberdad wrote:
We are of course dancing around the primary issue why even the republicans have distanced themselves from MTG
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/1 ... eos-325579

She has in the past spoken at far-right events (quite common nowadays for many republicans) and has been an advocate of the great replacement theory which is a racist concept normalised first by Trump supporters, then Turning Point USA and Tucker Carlson.

In the article it makes it clear what she means when she wants a divorce. She is speaking about a far right fantasy of a pre-civil war white homeland. I find this type of wolf-whistling to the far-right strange because 70-80% of regional USA is still ethnically homogenous between 80-99% white.

Distancing? I reference the article in the OP
Quote:
House Speaker Kevin McCarthy and GOP leaders recently rewarded Greene with committee assignments, including a slot on the House Homeland Security.

“I will never leave that woman,” McCarthy reportedly told a friend, referring to Greene, after his hard-fought struggle to win the speaker’s gavel. “I will always take care of her.”

Some distancing.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2023, 2:59 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Distancing? They put her on the Homeland Security Committee.

That's why I added the word "even" when I mentioned republicans because I am aware the pro-Trump camp in the GOP have been collaborating with her for a while now and giving her oxygen to make "deplorable" comments.