How conspiracies go viral: Case in point

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2023, 7:04 am

The English city of Oxford, a university town home to 162,000 inhabitants, has recently emerged as the unlikely epicentre of the odd debate.

That’s because conspiracists have somehow conflated two completely separate local council policies to spruik their argument.

Under Local Plan 2040, Oxford City Council has suggested rolling out 15-minute neighbourhoods over a 20-year period, which would involve upping mobility and boosting infrastructure in certain areas.

Critics have spread the completely false conspiracy that 15-minute cities are a deliberate strategy to turn neighbourhoods into “concentration camps”, with many claiming they will somehow lead to surveillance tracking our every movement, that people will be banned from driving or cop heavy fines, and that people will be unable to move freely around the city.
https://www.news.com.au/technology/onli ... b78fff9329

A 12 year old girl brainwashed by the conspiracy has gone viral spreading the narrative on social media

Dr Joanne Gray, a University of Sydney conspiracy theory expert and researcher on digital platform policy and governance, told news.com.au conspiracy theories tended to spread more easily when there were social conditions that lead to a level of unhappiness and distrust in institutions.

“What we know now is that conspiracy theories are spread online easily, people can access these theories through very minimal effort, and be exposed to all sorts of theories that get picked up and shared by different people,” she said.

“Humans are very imaginative, we like to look for patterns and explanations for things … there have always been conspiracy theories about the world that aren’t connected to reality, but social media gives us access to information [and the ability to] see and engage with others on a global scale, and that changes the impact of these ideas and makes it riskier, with the potential for harm greater.

“Conspiracy theories are indicative of a culture where people aren’t using rational thinking to explain the world. – everything from not getting vaccinated to violence against other people (ring any bells?)

“We want to live in a world where people think critically about the information they receive and apply it logically to try and understand the world, so it doesn’t lead to the kind of thinking based on misinformation and irrationality that can lead to harm to society and individuals.”

She said the 15-minute city conspiracy was a classic example of how alternative beliefs can spread quickly.

slam_thunderhide
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Feb 2023, 3:07 pm

cyberdad wrote:

Dr Joanne Gray, a University of Sydney conspiracy theory expert and researcher on digital platform policy and governance

What a worthless job title. That reminds me of 'fact checker', i.e., a title people adopt to disguise the fact that they're nothing but establishment propagandists.

cyberdad wrote:

“Conspiracy theories are indicative of a culture where people aren’t using rational thinking to explain the world. – everything from not getting vaccinated to violence against other people (ring any bells?)

If this Dr Joanne Gray is still trying to claim as late as February 2023 that skepticism about the covid vaccines is nothing but 'conspiracy theorizing', then I think it's safe to say she should just be ignored.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2023, 3:26 pm

I know we're under chemical and biological attack attack by the globalist GOBLINS and BUILDABEARS and this is JUST part of the AGENDA 21 plot to put us in HOBBIT HOLES and depopulate THE planet with vaccines and feminism. It's ALL perfectly rational and anyone who disagrees is an IDOIT but also a highly informed establishment propagandist working for the DEEP STATE and the SHAPESHIFTING LIZARDMEN FROM THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH. CAN'T YOU HEAR HOW SANE I SOUND?! WHY DOES NO ONE SEE THE PATTERNS!!??

I know most of what that guy says sounds nuts, but I'm not so sure the Build-A-Bears aren't up to something.
Look at them plotting something.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2023, 3:42 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
I know we're under chemical and biological attack attack by the globalist GOBLINS and BUILDABEARS and this is JUST part of the AGENDA 21 plot to put us in HOBBIT HOLES and depopulate THE planet with vaccines and feminism. It's ALL perfectly rational and anyone who disagrees is an IDOIT but also a highly informed establishment propagandist working for the DEEP STATE and the SHAPESHIFTING LIZARDMEN FROM THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH. CAN'T YOU HEAR HOW SANE I SOUND?! WHY DOES NO ONE SEE THE PATTERNS!!??

I know most of what that guy says sounds nuts, but I'm not so sure the Build-A-Bears aren't up to something.

Post that on twitter and you'll get 10,000 followers

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2023, 4:57 pm

cyberdad wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

Post that on twitter and you'll get 10,000 followers

Don't worry, I'll be debuting my conspiracy theorist character on BitChute, Rumble and wherever else guano is peddled online. You'll be surprised how closely I can imitate Alex Jones' voice. :lol:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う