Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2023, 10:00 pm

Supreme Court won’t upset Arkansas anti-Israel boycott law

Quote:
The Supreme Court on Tuesday refused to step into a legal fight over state laws that require contractors to pledge not to boycott Israel.

The justices rejected an appeal on behalf of an alternative weekly newspaper in Little Rock, Arkansas, that objected to a state law that reduces fees paid to contractors that refuse to sign the pledge.

The full federal appeals court in St. Louis upheld the law, overturning a three-judge panel’s finding that it violated constitutional free speech rights.

Similar measures in Arizona, Kansas and Texas were initially blocked by courts, prompting lawmakers to focus only on larger contracts. Arkansas’ law applies to contracts worth $1,000 or more.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

stratozyck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Feb 2023, 10:58 pm

That is awful. There is no way anyone can look at the state of Israel honestly and not think they are oppressing the heck out of the Palestinians.

The whole thing is a cycle of "we take their land" -> "they are mad we took it and are suicide bombing us" -> "we must take more of their land to feel safe"

In a perfect world, we would offer them territory in the US. We have a history of letting in oppressed groups.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2023, 1:11 am

How is this not the equivalent of state sponsored suppression of political free speech? The position isn't important; it is the coercion to make a signed statement on any political position that bothers me.

I guess I'll have to turn on my favorite legal podcast later this week to see if I can make sense of the ruling.

DW_a_mom
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2023, 8:19 pm

Not addressed on the podcast :( Maybe next week.