Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2023, 8:34 am

:> I have just discovered the best dating app for coders.

https://github.com/benawad/vsinder

Shall be renamed to vssingleforever.

JimJohn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Feb 2023, 8:26 am

People would definitely be swiping left on my code. I am not at a point where I could make money with it.

This is probably a dumb question but do you make money with coding and what level did you have to get to to do it?

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2023, 12:52 pm

JimJohn wrote:
People would definitely be swiping left on my code. I am not at a point where I could make money with it.

This is probably a dumb question but do you make money with coding and what level did you have to get to to do it?

Do you live in a western country? or in a brown country? Are you white or brown? :lol:

It depends on your nationality and where you live really lol; if you are British ir Swedish for example and working for an American company remotely, you would make at least $4000 monthly as a start, if you are Ukranian a bit less.
While Indians/Pakistanis/Middle Easterns are considered cheap labors even for the same job and make half of that. I am not joking, this is real.

I work remotely for two clients currently, one based in California, the other in Qatar; I have a contract of $2400 with the first (monthly, as Angular developer) and I make around $1000 monthly with the second (just few hours weekly, maintenance easy stuff, Full stack, Vuejs/Express/Nesjs/Mongo s**t). There’s a third local client I am making off $500, for few hours weekly too, just for task management on jira for a project.

Now this income is still considered very big compared to my local GDP per capita; they know that and this how they twist our arm.

But if you look at the salaries average in California for the exact same role?

I am Senior, but I am not even equal to a Junior Californian developer’s worth in $$.

And my contract with them is freelance-based; so they pay no taxes, no insurance, no benefits; in other term…. they are saving a LOT when they are hiring people from my poor side of the world who get the same job done. :P

Well, I cannot complain because as I said; it is far better than any local salary, but this how the world is. I bet though that many Californian junior and even mid developers are probably in not much better position because people like me are stealing their jobs, literally :p.

Isn’t that just wonderful?

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2023, 1:14 pm

In other term, when you code remotely for an overseas company in a richer country than yours, they won’t pay you according to their country’s average salary; nope…they are smarter than that: they would instead look up for your for your country’s average salary and offers you a premium to it.
This is the main reason actually why a lot of western/gulf/scandinavian tech companies hiring overseas remote developers in the first place.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2023, 1:44 pm

Where do you go to find the jobs?

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2023, 2:01 pm

klanka wrote:

I found them all in online local dev communities.

JimJohn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Feb 2023, 2:39 pm

This is all interesting to me. I am interested in ways to make money as an older person instead of being a greeter at Walmart (grocery store), or making minimum wage in my country which is the US. I have always had an interest in Geography and different cultures.

I have spent some time learning to code because I figured why not? It is all on the internet and it is free. I would probably do better if I treated learning it like a job. It is fairly hard for me and my raw intelligence is not super high.

I like to learn parts of it that didn't make sense to me earlier. I get some satisfaction from that. I am sure I am wasting my time. Some things like learning the basics of the command line seem like a good thing to know.

We all use computers so I don't guess I am wasting my time entirely. I am slowly working my way through the Odin Project. A lot of it is learning things a second time that I learned elsewhere. Some of it is satisfying because it puts the pieces together mentally or teaches something basic like Git. I spent hours and hours just doing the Rock, Paper, Scissors Project trying to get a loop to work.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2023, 5:09 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
klanka wrote:

I found them all in online local dev communities.

Do you have any examples? I can't think of how I'd find any of those. The only one I could think of is stackoverflow

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2023, 7:28 am

They are local online communities

But there are many freelance platforms such as Upwork.

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2023, 8:05 am

Quote:
While Indians/Pakistanis/Middle Easterns are considered cheap labors even for the same job and make half of that. I am not joking, this is real.

Quote:
they are saving a LOT when they are hiring people from my poor side of the world who get the same job done.

:x :x :x

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2023, 10:07 am

klanka wrote:

This how these communities look like, very active.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2023, 10:26 am

that looks like a whatsapp group chat,

i tried freelancer.com but its mostly scammers trying to scam people who are looking for work - lol
ill have a look at upwork.com

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2023, 10:34 am

klanka wrote:
that looks like a whatsapp group chat,

It is, if you find any good one, join it.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2023, 5:51 am

@Klanka, actually....this thread reminded me of personal project, a Proof of concept app, I worked on, and then got busy with other projects and have been procrastinating to publish it to the Google Play, it's almost done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhIB8X_ypjc

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2023, 2:42 pm

Looks good, I use the normal job websites but don't get hired.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2023, 4:25 pm

klanka wrote:
Looks good, I use the normal job websites but don't get hired.

What stacks you use?