Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2023, 11:45 pm

In this thread I will list good online science education resources as I happen to come across them, and I would like to request that others here also use this thread to recommend good online science education resources.

For now: I recently came across an excellent Youtube channel, Kathy Loves Physics & History, about the history of various discoveries in physics. Kathy Joseph also has a website that includes the scripts of her videos, for those who would prefer to read them.

Lecia_Wynter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Apr 2023, 6:07 am

She made a video pooping on Tesla and made fun of him because she didn't understand his math. According to my calculation, his math was correct but I'm not 100% sure. Anyway I dislike her channel because of that.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2023, 6:28 am

Lecia_Wynter wrote:
She made a video pooping on Tesla and made fun of him because she didn't understand his math.

What, specifically, are you referring to as "his math"? Are you talking about 2-phase motors vs. 3-phase motors, as discussed in the video Why Nikola Tesla is SO Famous (and Westinghouse is not)?

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2023, 6:39 am

For science education I often start with Wikipedia for general knowledge then onelook for vocabulary then google or google scholar for current info and more details.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2023, 7:15 am

Another science-oriented YouTube channel I've been looking at recently is Paul M. Sutter, devoted to physics and astronomy.

According to the channel's About page: "Paul M.Sutter is a research professor in astrophysics at the Institute for Advanced Computational Science at Stony Brook University and the Flatiron Institute in New York City. He is also known around the world as the host of several shows, such as How the Universe Works on Science Channel, Space Out on Discovery, and his hit Ask a Spaceman podcast."

His videos aren't very interesting visually, but his verbal explanations are very easy to understand.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2023, 7:55 am

What age / grade level are we talking about for science education? Supplementing school or homeschooling or self taught?
The common core curriculum can be found online. Elementary school handouts. You tube can be good buy it may depend on what you are aiming for.

We bought “The Magic School Bus” on dvd during COVID-19 and have liked Great Courses on dvd, purchased or from the library.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2023, 11:47 am

Fenn wrote:
For science education I often start with Wikipedia for general knowledge then onelook for vocabulary then google or google scholar for current info and more details.

Starting with Wikipedia first is good if one is looking up a very specific topic.

Some science YouTube channels are good as a way of developing a general introductory intuitive understanding of the more complex topics.

YouTube science video channels are not a substitute for more-detailed, more-academic treatments of the same topics, but some of them can be an excellent intro.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2023, 1:02 pm

Fenn wrote:
What age / grade level are we talking about for science education?

For most of the science video channels I've encountered on YouTube, the target audience seems to be adults with at least basic scientific literacy.

I would recommend watching them before studying more-detailed academic treatments of the same topics.