Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2023, 5:55 pm

Do credit-unions offer one-on-one services to credit-union members?

One of many examples: Can credit-union officials offer members the services of acting as a "third party of sorts" in negotiating the purchase of a motor vehicle?

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2023, 7:51 pm

Generally speaking, the one-on-one assistance offered is restricted to and specific to the products and services they offer internally, and does not include external advocacy or representation of the sort given in your example.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2023, 8:13 pm

if the credit Union is financing the car.... they could be considered as a third party , i think ? Might have a word with their loan dept , f this is the case?

where ever you go ,there you are

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2023, 9:46 pm

uncommondenominator wrote:
Generally speaking, the one-on-one assistance offered is restricted to and specific to the products and services they offer internally, and does not include external advocacy or representation of the sort given in your example.

Can credit-unions offer referrals to trusted services offering "third party" representatives - as mentioned in the original post?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2023, 9:52 pm

When purchasing a car (for example) having a valid line of credit with any lending institution is counted as a valuable asset.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2023, 1:42 am

JustFoundHere wrote:
uncommondenominator wrote:

Can credit-unions offer referrals to trusted services offering "third party" representatives - as mentioned in the original post?

Not that I've ever heard of. There's a lot of risk involved in offering services like the types you're asking about, and I've not seen them outside of overtly hiring a personal accountant / attorney / assistant - which tends to be quite expensive.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2023, 10:58 am

many years ago. a credit union that my father was a member of sent him offers for sales on A big name rental car company that was disposing of its inventory . Was stated the C U. would be financing the deals .
Beyond that idk and you might need to contact said CU ...Ask after such sales events . :?:

where ever you go ,there you are

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2023, 3:28 pm

Any experiences with 'state chartered' credit unions? Most credit unions are not 'state chartered.'

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2023, 6:55 pm

Experience with buying a car for cash - using consumer reports to get prices and to find makes and models if reliable used cars. Using google to identify several cars of similar model year and milage and make - then visit the three best buys in the area - test drive and review car-fax. Great feeling to ask seller for best price and then say “I have to go test drive this other almost identical car with slightly better milage before I decide to buy”. Consumer Reports is very helpful for buying good used cars.

Blue_Star
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Aug 2023, 5:42 pm

I looked it up since I hadn't heard of "state chartered". The two credit unions I belong to & the third I'm looking into are all state chartered according to the state's gov website. That said, none of them have branches (very far) outside of the city. Perhaps there isn't enough demand in more rural areas?

As to car purchasing help, I know ours will buy a (new) vehicle in order to lease it thru the credit union. It can be rolled over into a loan for purchase after that's up.

Who would pay for a representative to go with one to a car dealership? Perhaps the credit union could step in & coordinate the purchase from their end, but one still has to go in, understand the lease/loan contract, & sign. So perhaps a credit union could certainly help, but one should go in knowing what one wants (car make, model, features) since they aren't salespeople.

JustFoundHere wrote:
Any experiences with 'state chartered' credit unions? Most credit unions are not 'state chartered.'

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2023, 7:55 am

JustFoundHere wrote:

One of many examples: Can credit-union officials offer members the services of acting as a "third party of sorts" in negotiating the purchase of a motor vehicle?

I have my account with a local credit union with my mom and credit unions typically pay higher interest rates on deposits and charge lower interest rates on loans than the big banks.Believe it or not churches are starting credit unions to compete with payday lending on giving small dollar loans that banks cant do because it would not be profitiable for them.Credit Unions are not permitted to earn profit.

GeekyFreak
Raven
Raven

26 Aug 2023, 2:08 pm

Some of the questions your asking highly depends on the credit union you're looking at.

Mine does one on one and can do their own car/ house loans. They are even partnered with new and smused lots and a few other retailer companies. Even get member discounts!

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2023, 7:12 am

Texasmoneyman300 wrote:
JustFoundHere wrote:

I have my account with a local credit union with my mom and credit unions typically pay higher interest rates on deposits and charge lower interest rates on loans than the big banks.Believe it or not churches are starting credit unions to compete with payday lending on giving small dollar loans that banks cant do because it would not be profitiable for them.Credit Unions are not permitted to earn profit.

Yes, whatever they don't pay out in terms of salaries and cost of doing business gets returned to the members in the form of interest. The consequence is that different credit unions give more interest back and others give more in terms of service or lower rates on loans.

One of the credit unions I belong to stopped charging overdraft fees completely recently. And the other stopped charging most overdraft fees last year and cut the maximum amount to $10 for certain types. It definitely pays to look around at all credit unions that you may be eligible to join as some are likely a better match than others.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2023, 6:57 pm

Not afaik. They offer basically the same services as banks. Only the ownership structure is different - owned by local members who own shares vs. some corporate conglomerate.

I don't know of any financial institutions anywhere that employ people to negotiate the purchase of a vehicle on your behalf. You'd have to have a friend or family member do that, or seek to hire someone privately to perform that role. I've never heard of someone contracting someone else to do that.. but it is common for people to take a friend or family member with them to inspect a vehicle, or pay a mechanic to do it, and then possibly rely on a friend or family member to negotiate a price and deal if it's beyond your abilities to do yourself.