Page 1 of 6 [ 93 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Foxinator
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Feb 2023, 11:40 pm

Greta Thunberg is a Climate Activist who is on The Spectrum. I'm just wondering how People on this site feel about Her. Do you consider Greta to be a good role Model/Influence? Just looking for some opinions, please no hateful comments.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2023, 11:59 pm

Foxinator wrote:
Greta Thunberg is a Climate Activist who is on The Spectrum. I'm just wondering how People on this site feel about Her. Do you consider Greta to be a good role Model/Influence? Just looking for some opinions, please no hateful comments.

I like her and think she leans more towards a good role model than a bad influencer.

meridian
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Feb 2023, 1:03 am

smart, brave, honest

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2023, 3:31 am

Foxinator wrote:

She was a child (16) when she started to lecture national leaders on how to run their country.
Klearly, she had tutoring on how to be a climate change crisis activist/catastrophist.
I found it amusing how adults pretended to take her seriously because she advanced their political narrative.

Good luck to her, but she is not the saviour of the world.
Actually, she is now "yesterday's news". 8)

bee33
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2023, 4:47 am

She is in no way yesterday's news and she is absolutely correct, and admirable. She has her own knowledge and ideas but would be foolish not to also learn from people who are more knowledgeable about climate science and how to conduct effective activism.

timf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2023, 7:10 am

She is not the first child to be exploited for political purposes.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2023, 7:31 am

Foxinator wrote:

I think she's been discussed quite a bit on here because of her autism.

People dismiss her opinions because she is young. How could she possibly know anything?
People dismiss her opinions because she is idealistic. Her solution is incompatible with the capitalist, industrial soceity we've spent the last few centuries constructing.
People dismiss her opinions because she's female, or autistic or they can't believe they are her own, she must have been manipulated in some way.

Thing is, every time I've heard her speak she's made her points clearly and rationally, with reference to scientific evidence. She knows what she's talking about. She is often more across the detail and facts than whoever she is talking to, people who are paid to know this stuff like politicians and journalists. She is extraordinarily good at pricking the pomposity of people who are supposed to be ensuring the effects of climate change are effectively mitigated. She often does this with humour.

So I think she's a tremendous role model for young people, women and autistic people. If nothing else she has shown that young people can have a voice in politics, they have valuable additions to make to the debate. You can be young and serious. You are not completely at the mercy of old fogeys who have long given up on the notion that change is possible, just because they've never seen it or fought for it, or just don't want it because it inconveniences them.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

24 Feb 2023, 8:20 am

^ This, all of it.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2023, 8:29 am

bee33 wrote:
She is in no way yesterday's news and she is absolutely correct, and admirable. She has her own knowledge and ideas but would be foolish not to also learn from people who are more knowledgeable about climate science and how to conduct effective activism.

We are all entitled to our opinion, yes.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2023, 8:40 am

timf wrote:
She is not the first child to be exploited for political purposes.

There have been other children who have been "Climate Change Saviours", so I have heard.
David Suzuki's daughter is one.

Quote:
Severn Cullis-Suzuki (born 30 November 1979) is a Canadian environmental activist and writer. She has spoken around the world about environmental issues, urging listeners to define their values, act with the future in mind, and take individual responsibility. She is the daughter of Canadian environmentalist David Suzuki.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Severn_Cullis-Suzuki

I'd rather listen to professors in the field who have studied for decades than a precocious 16-year-old.
Keep in mind, her parents, well, at least one of them, were in climate change activism.

I am not being mean.
I am simply being realistic.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

24 Feb 2023, 8:51 am

Pepe wrote:
I'd rather listen to professors in the field who have studied for decades than a precocious 16-year-old.
I'd rather listen to a precocious, well-reasoned and strong 16-year-old reminding world leaders what those professors are saying, where they'd rather blah-blah-blah instead.

Quote:
Keep in mind, her parents, well, at least one of them, were in climate change activism.
Ooh, scary.

Activism: the policy or action of using vigorous campaigning to bring about political or social change.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2023, 8:56 am

DuckHairback wrote:
Foxinator wrote:

I think she's been discussed quite a bit on here because of her autism.

People dismiss her opinions because she is young. How could she possibly know anything?

She knew something at age 16.
One of her parents was a climate change activist, so I have heard.

DuckHairback wrote:
People dismiss her opinions because she is idealistic.

While idealism often comes with youth, I don't think ppl dismissed what she said because of that.

DuckHairback wrote:
Her solution is incompatible with the capitalist, industrial soceity we've spent the last few centuries constructing.

Yes, she is an acolyte of the left.

DuckHairback wrote:
People dismiss her opinions because she's female, or autistic or they can't believe they are her own, she must have been manipulated in some way.

Why would ppl dismiss her for being a female?
While she is an intelligent young woman, I doubt she is an autistic savant.
Well, she was brought up in an activist family.

DuckHairback wrote:
Thing is, every time I've heard her speak she's made her points clearly and rationally, with reference to scientific evidence. She knows what she's talking about. She is often more across the detail and facts than whoever she is talking to, people who are paid to know this stuff like politicians and journalists. She is extraordinarily good at pricking the pomposity of people who are supposed to be ensuring the effects of climate change are effectively mitigated. She often does this with humour.

So I think she's a tremendous role model for young people, women and autistic people. If nothing else she has shown that young people can have a voice in politics, they have valuable additions to make to the debate. You can be young and serious. You are not completely at the mercy of old fogeys who have long given up on the notion that change is possible, just because they've never seen it or fought for it, or just don't want it because it inconveniences them.

She has publically recanted some of the things she has been preaching.
When questioned (I believe under oath), she admitted that she was merely using metaphors at times.

Her influence is not as it once was.
Simply look at the recent news reports to verify this.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2023, 10:20 am

Greta Thunberg is a great kid with a passion and a heart. I love that and I respect her tremendously for it.

Wreck It Ralph

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2023, 10:44 am

I have listened to her and observed her and noticed two things where I can't accept her message. That she is a little missguided due to her young age (As one tends to absorb what one is given at that age and not see the larger picture... (I was similar!), and she does it through a type of hatetowards those she classes as her enemies who happen to not be doing what she wants them to do regarding theenviroment which is her special interest.
I am not against her but I do see immaturity which the press ignore and have put her on a pedestal because she says what they want peoplt to hear. If she was allowed to matute and havemore experience of how things work etc, she would have a more balanced and practical view, so the enviromental concerns can be addressed from a less commercially profit making view which the politicalists move towards because they tend to be controlled by the ultra rich capitalists... Who have recently used the enviroment as a means to increase their wealth at the taxpayers expense. (If Gretna happened to be a little more mature before she jumped into the political arena of the enviromental concerns, she would have noticed this and taken a very different stance).
Don't get me wrong. Her willingness to stand for what she believes in I am in admiration, but the way she did it is not going to turn people towards her goals. Rather it turns people away as she goes on the warpath against them rather than engaging directly with them to find out their position and move together with them to find practical solutions. Her methods will make others not want to even talk, which is why I mention about immaturity due to her age and not having that experience in life. No doubt when she is older (If she is not exploited by the media) she will be able to share more practical means to address the jssues that we have, and will be able to separate the media and education btainwashing from the real world, and so have a much better and more practicwl approach.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2023, 11:46 am

Yes. Maturity is what is needed. That will hopefully come as she grows. Once she is more mature and balanced, she will have the potential to do really good work.

Wreck It Ralph

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2023, 5:38 pm

Foxinator wrote:

Frankly, I DOUBT she has AS. She knows NOTHING about the climate!