Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2023, 12:13 pm

Jason Arday Was Diagnosed With Autism As A Child And Will Now Be The Youngest Black Professor At The University Of Cambridge - Essence

Quote:
A renowned sociologist who was diagnosed with autism as a child and didn’t learn to read or write until the age of 18 will become the youngest Black professor ever appointed at the University of Cambridge in England.

Prof Jason Arday is a well-known scholar of race, inequality and education. He was diagnosed with autism when he was three years old and did not learn to speak until he was 11. His family was told he would likely require lifelong care, but he defied all expectations.

Now 37, he will start as a professor of sociology of education at Cambridge in March and hopes that his story will inspire others from under-represented backgrounds to pursue higher education.

At Cambridge, Arday will build on his previous work at Durham and Glasgow universities, addressing the scarcity of Black and minority people in higher education, their under-representation in academic careers, and the challenge of creating more equitable educational experiences and outcomes for all.

Ten years ago, while studying for his Ph.D., Arday wrote down a set of personal goals on his mother’s bedroom wall. The third on his list read: “One day, I will work at Oxford or Cambridge.” On March 6, that dream will become a reality.

“As optimistic as I am, there’s just no way I could have thought that would have happened,” he said. “If I was a betting person, the odds on it were so long. It’s just mad.”

Congratulations Professor Arday.

This man is the rebuke to those parents of Autistics and Autistics themselves who say “WILL NEVER”. Professor Arday as a child at least to a degree fit the definition of “profound“ autism. I am not saying “if he can do it, so can you”. We are all different. Most of us do not have the innate skill to make that high level of improvement. And some of us will remain very high support needs for the rest of our lives. All I am saying is do not assume your autism dooms you the rest of your life.

Looking forward to reading more about Professor Arday and what techniques were used to help him.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2023, 8:52 pm

Agreed. Thank you for posting this and all the news articles you post.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2023, 2:00 am

blazingstar wrote:
Agreed. Thank you for posting this and all the news articles you post.

You are welcome.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

AnomalousAspergian
Raven
Raven

12 Mar 2023, 12:12 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Jason Arday Was Diagnosed With Autism As A Child And Will Now Be The Youngest Black Professor At The University Of Cambridge - Essence
Quote:

This man is the rebuke to those parents of Autistics and Autistics themselves who say “WILL NEVER”. Professor Arday as a child at least to a degree fit the definition of “profound“ autism. I am not saying “if he can do it, so can you”. We are all different. Most of us do not have the innate skill to make that high level of improvement. And some of us will remain very high support needs for the rest of our lives. All I am saying is do not assume your autism dooms you the rest of your life.

Looking forward to reading more about Professor Arday and what techniques were used to help him.

What was his economic background?

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2023, 2:59 pm

Google says he grew up on a council estate in London - so not a wealthy one.