I think I'm getting tired of video games...

Page 3 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Readydaer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 7:08 am

Lecia_Wynter wrote:
Play Rogue Company. Its ret*d, but its an actual game, unlike many AAA "games" that are not games.

For instance, many AAA "games" are just walking simulator collectathons but presented in a cinematic way. But if they were an actual cinema, the movie would be a C type movie, not even a B movie. And game dev is ret*d so its the same handfuls of companies that keep making these games. If game dev was less primitive then more companies would be able to make AAA quality games (although the phrase "AAA quality" kind of sounds ironic.) But then the downside of that would be more garbage indie game spam.

Anyway, back to Rogue Company, it is ret*d because it is buggy and this makes it less competitive. For instance Trench has a barbed wire utility, a glitch that happens is it becomes invisible. So you could lose a match in competitive mode from dying from invisible barbed wire. This glitch happens about 50% of the time, making the game unsuitable for tournament play, but even if it happened only 0.5% of the time it would still probably be unsuitable for competitions. And often the matchmaking pairs platinums with bronze players. Still, at least it is an actual game and not a AAA "walking simulator".

i think you just described a bad game! :lol: there's plenty of fantastic indie series if AAA isn't your thing

Lecia_Wynter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Mar 2023, 2:34 pm

Readydaer wrote:
Lecia_Wynter wrote:
Play Rogue Company. Its ret*d, but its an actual game, unlike many AAA "games" that are not games.

For instance, many AAA "games" are just walking simulator collectathons but presented in a cinematic way. But if they were an actual cinema, the movie would be a C type movie, not even a B movie. And game dev is ret*d so its the same handfuls of companies that keep making these games. If game dev was less primitive then more companies would be able to make AAA quality games (although the phrase "AAA quality" kind of sounds ironic.) But then the downside of that would be more garbage indie game spam.

Anyway, back to Rogue Company, it is ret*d because it is buggy and this makes it less competitive. For instance Trench has a barbed wire utility, a glitch that happens is it becomes invisible. So you could lose a match in competitive mode from dying from invisible barbed wire. This glitch happens about 50% of the time, making the game unsuitable for tournament play, but even if it happened only 0.5% of the time it would still probably be unsuitable for competitions. And often the matchmaking pairs platinums with bronze players. Still, at least it is an actual game and not a AAA "walking simulator".

i think you just described a bad game! :lol: there's plenty of fantastic indie series if AAA isn't your thing

No it is a good game but hampered by bugs making it unsuitable for tournaments.

I played the new AAA ghost recon game on next gen hardware. The story intrigued me but the game seemed to be running at 25 fps. The graphics were okay, but not to the point where the 25 fps seemed expected. Kinda seemed like a next-gen take on mid 2004 console gaming graphics. The gameplay seemed like the usual AAA bulletsponge slog with bad console aim (Yes Arrek console aim does suck, just not for the games we discussed.) Overall seemed like a wasted potential, the story seemed interesting but the gameplay not so much.

" there's plenty of fantastic indie series "
what in particular

lil_hippie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Mar 2023, 9:17 pm

I don't get tired of games, I'm just very conscious of the vacuum of time it absorbs out of me which makes me stay away from them. When I do play, I make sure it only takes up a couple of hours of my time at most, and only if I have nothing else to do. I'll also play them when I need to decompress from stress, and that's the only time when I allow myself to play for like 4 hours straight, but that doesn't happen often.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 9:35 pm

I'm back to enjoying video games again. :wink:

Readydaer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2023, 7:06 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:

congrats!

Readydaer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2023, 7:14 am

Lecia_Wynter wrote:

" there's plenty of fantastic indie series "
what in particular

okay I admit I was mostly referring to my special interest Touhou Project, which is SO AWESOME, but there's also Toby Fox's games. Hollow Knight and its eventual sequel, Little Nightmares (to a degree), I ran out of examples.

There's also generally great AAA games like the Xenoblade trilogy (I love this one too!! !!) the Persona series, Cyberpunk 2077 (dw, it's great now), and Horizon Zero Dawn.

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2023, 7:38 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:

Excellent! :)

arekks
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Mar 2023, 8:53 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
DanielW wrote:
I don't think the new games that are coming out nowadays are as good as they used to be. There doesn't seem to be much originality left, technology is improving, but not the games themselves.

Yeah I definetly agree. It's the same sort of problem with Hollywood movies today. The special effects and budgets may be spectacular but it seems like all they can come up with anymore are bad remakes of great classics, sequels to franchises that never die, and superhero movies (and I'm definetly not a fan of superheroes or comic books).

That's why I mostly have stuck with watching or playing older games/movies but sometimes I'll find a rare gem of a movie or game (or song). Usually it's indie or obscured stuff.

One indie game I recently fell in love with was Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. Ive never actually played any of the Castlevania games except Dracula X Chronicles, but this game is so much fun!

What's not to love about a retro-style game set in a Japanese anime version of the Victorian era that lets you unlock occult magic and use it to fight demons and monsters in a castle ressurected from Hell itself?

But the best part (in my opinion at least) is that there is a secret code that lets you play as a bloody vampire lady armed with a red umbrella named Bloodless. 8)

https://youtu.be/P5iS2iKfiDg

I know I'm late to this but you literally just answered your own question – play Symphony of the Night, or Aria of Sorrow, or Order of Ecclesia... Ritual of the Night is okay but it's not exactly special.

(The real good Bloodstained is Curse of the Moon, anyway, but you seem like more of a Metroidvania person?)

I think personally I'm done with certain types of games. I don't want to see my time wasted playing normie-bait trash with production values and a million cutscenes but uninteresting gameplay. I just want to get thrown into a world or a set of levels where I have to engage constantly with the game in order to survive. Anything else is filler and a waste of my energy.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2023, 12:29 pm

arekks wrote:
play Symphony of the Night, or Aria of Sorrow, or Order of Ecclesia... Ritual of the Night is okay but it's not exactly special.

(The real good Bloodstained is Curse of the Moon, anyway, but you seem like more of a Metroidvania person?)

I do like Symphony of the Night and Dracula X Chronicles (the only two other Castlevania games I played).

But to be frank I'm perfectly capable of figuring out which games I like and want to play myself. I don't pay attention to fixed reviews or listen to the opinion of other gamers. But thank you.

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2023, 1:48 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
arekks wrote:
play Symphony of the Night, or Aria of Sorrow, or Order of Ecclesia... Ritual of the Night is okay but it's not exactly special.

I do like Symphony of the Night and Dracula X Chronicles (the only two other Castlevania games I played).

But to be frank I'm perfectly capable of figuring out which games I like and want to play myself. I don't pay attention to fixed reviews or listen to the opinion of other gamers. But thank you.

On the subject of vampire-based games, ever heard of the Legacy of Kain series?

Pretty retro, I know, but it's a really good, albeit underrated, series. You can download them on Steam and/or GOG.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2023, 2:20 pm

UncannyDanny wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:
arekks wrote:

On the subject of vampire-based games, ever heard of the Legacy of Kain series?

Pretty retro, I know, but it's a really good, albeit underrated, series. You can download them on Steam and/or GOG.

I actually have. I never got to play them unfortunately but they look cool. Blood Rayne was another good vampire game that I sadly never got to play. :skull:

arekks
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Mar 2023, 3:29 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
arekks wrote:

Don't talk to me like that. I won't tolerate it for a second.

This is a public discussion board about video games. You aren't too special to be exposed to other people's opinions about video games. I didn't say anything particularly disagreeable or offensive that would justify such a response.

And your statement is asinine. You aren't immune to external opinions and osmosis... You hear a lot about a game in a genre you like – whether through word of mouth or advertisement or whatever – you are more likely to play it, to some degree or another. It is in part why you're talking about the popular game, Ritual of the Night, and not some more obscure game. It's a useful thing to refer to first-hand opinions of people who have experienced something that you haven't, so long as you remain reasonably critical.

I wouldn't normally be so frank but I am very nearly done with people entirely and this sort of behaviour is exactly why. Every person is like a balloon that could pop at any moment... I hate it.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2023, 3:41 pm

arekks wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:
arekks wrote:

Don't talk to me like that. I won't tolerate it for a second.

This is a public discussion board about video games. You aren't too special to be exposed to other people's opinions about video games. I didn't say anything particularly disagreeable or offensive that would justify such a response.

And your statement is asinine. You aren't immune to external opinions and osmosis... You hear a lot about a game in a genre you like – whether through word of mouth or advertisement or whatever – you are more likely to play it, to some degree or another. It is in part why you're talking about the popular game, Ritual of the Night, and not some more obscure game. It's a useful thing to refer to first-hand opinions of people who have experienced something that you haven't, so long as you remain reasonably critical.

I wouldn't normally be so frank but I am very nearly done with people entirely and this sort of behaviour is exactly why. Every person is like a balloon that could pop at any moment... I hate it.

I think you really need to chill the f**k out. :roll:

Gamers like you are exactly why I don't hang around gaming communities. Speaking of inflated opinions bursting look who's calling the kettle black here? :roll:

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2023, 4:20 pm

And for the record I DON'T HAVE TO LIKE YOUR OPINION AND KISS YOUR ASS IF I DON'T WANT TO!

GRRRRR!! !! RRRRRAAAWWWWW!! !! :evil:

*does angry rabid dog foam at the mouth*

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2023, 5:50 pm

^

PeterHoping44
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2023, 7:32 am

Yeah. I got bored with RE after it became an action series. They went back to horror with 7 I suppose, but they just copied a bunch of horror movies, slapped RE7 on it, and messed up Chris Redfield's model.

The remakes are too dark. You can hardly see anything. There's also a lot of enemy types they removed, like the crows. Maybe some people don't see missing creatures as something to be particularly fussy over, but it's still sheer laziness.

Besides that, I don't care about remakes, because they could have poured money into new projects, as opposed to rehashing old games from the PS1 days.