I think I'm getting tired of video games...

Page 2 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2023, 1:14 pm

Only thing that's come close to absorbing me as much as Zelda is Elden Ring.

Oh and Immortality. I loved Immortality.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2023, 1:28 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Honestly I always preferred games that would draw me into any kind of story or world to help me escape from reality. Some of my favorites include games like Legend of Zelda, The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Fable, Yakuza, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, etc. :)

Ah, these days the main thing that draws me in is finding a surrogate activity for what I'd really like to be doing, ideally one that's challenging enough I don't have mental bandwidth left for thinking about anything serious.

They're rarely an escape from reality, just an escape from my reality. :lol:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2023, 1:31 pm

Is it the games themselves that you're tired of playing, or is it just you?

Heck, I myself have no interest in possessing and playing the Nintendo Switch and the certain games, namely Fire Emblem Engage and Pokemon Scarlet/Violet. No, it's not because I've outgrown them, it's just that, in my honest opinion, it's looks like it's losing their genuinity, and the Switch itself isn't really that good. :/

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2023, 2:18 pm

I don't think the new games that are coming out nowadays are as good as they used to be. There doesn't seem to be much originality left, technology is improving, but not the games themselves.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2023, 3:05 pm

DanielW wrote:
I don't think the new games that are coming out nowadays are as good as they used to be. There doesn't seem to be much originality left, technology is improving, but not the games themselves.

Yeah I definetly agree. It's the same sort of problem with Hollywood movies today. The special effects and budgets may be spectacular but it seems like all they can come up with anymore are bad remakes of great classics, sequels to franchises that never die, and superhero movies (and I'm definetly not a fan of superheroes or comic books).

That's why I mostly have stuck with watching or playing older games/movies but sometimes I'll find a rare gem of a movie or game (or song). Usually it's indie or obscured stuff.

One indie game I recently fell in love with was Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. Ive never actually played any of the Castlevania games except Dracula X Chronicles, but this game is so much fun!

What's not to love about a retro-style game set in a Japanese anime version of the Victorian era that lets you unlock occult magic and use it to fight demons and monsters in a castle ressurected from Hell itself?

But the best part (in my opinion at least) is that there is a secret code that lets you play as a bloody vampire lady armed with a red umbrella named Bloodless. 8)

https://youtu.be/P5iS2iKfiDg

Readydaer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2023, 3:16 pm

the Persona and Xenoblade serieses completely engross me.

if you're looking for something just as engrossing but wayyyyy lighter on story try Touhou

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2023, 3:37 pm

To be honest I have been curious about trying something called Granblue Fantasy but I'm not sure if they even have it for the Xbox one?

Have no idea what the game is really about but the music from these games give me a total eargasm every time I listen. :dj:

Rose Queen

New World Order

Song of Three Men

Parade's Lust

Paradise Lost

Nier's Song

Readydaer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2023, 3:48 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
To be honest I have been curious about trying something called Granblue Fantasy but I'm not sure if they even have it for the Xbox one?

Have no idea what the game is really about but the music from these games give me a total eargasm every time I listen. :dj:

Well if you like video game music then I MUST recommend Touhou and Xenoblade. Here are some true eargasms:

Idolatrize World

Starry Mountain of Tenma

Egoistic Flowers

Necrofantasia

Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom ~ Nuclear Fusion

The Concealed Four Seasons

[those were for Touhou, now Xenoblade]

You Will Know Our Names

Moebius Battle

Counterattack

Tantal

Gormott

Roaming the Wastes

After Despair and Hope

You Will Know Our Names - Finale

Showdown with Z - Phase 2

(sorry I don't know how to send embedded links for in-browser video)

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2023, 4:17 pm

Readydaer wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:

Well if you like video game music then I MUST recommend Touhou and Xenoblade. Here are some true eargasms:

Idolatrize World

Starry Mountain of Tenma

Egoistic Flowers

Necrofantasia

Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom ~ Nuclear Fusion

The Concealed Four Seasons

[those were for Touhou, now Xenoblade]

You Will Know Our Names

Moebius Battle

Counterattack

Tantal

Gormott

Roaming the Wastes

After Despair and Hope

You Will Know Our Names - Finale

Showdown with Z - Phase 2

(sorry I don't know how to send embedded links for in-browser video)

Thanks I will look those up on youtube. I really do love game music, the old Silent Hill games were well-known for their music too. :D

Sigi
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Feb 2023, 4:47 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Honestly I always preferred games that would draw me into any kind of story or world to help me escape from reality. Some of my favorites include games like Legend of Zelda, The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Fable, Yakuza, Resident Evil, Silent Hill, etc. :)

If you want a horror game with a good story then SOMA is well worth a look. (It's a bit of a slow starter though).

Fatal frame 5 (project zero here in Europe) might be on Xbox and it's another decent horror series that often gets overlooked. Very spooky.

Detroit become human is another one with an interesting plot, although it gets a bit ludicrous

These are just some that pulled me out of recent slump

enz
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2023, 4:57 pm

I really doubt there isn't a game that can hold your attention, you've just got to find it. I'd recommend youtube because you can see what the game looks like as well as the review. E.G "best xbox one games" on youtube

Buy physical if expensive and sell it if it doesn't interest you

Lastly take a break from video games from time to time and consume other media

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2023, 5:45 pm

Sigi wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:

If you want a horror game with a good story then SOMA is well worth a look. (It's a bit of a slow starter though).

Fatal frame 5 (project zero here in Europe) might be on Xbox and it's another decent horror series that often gets overlooked. Very spooky.

Detroit become human is another one with an interesting plot, although it gets a bit ludicrous

Oh yes I used to love the Fatal Frame games for the PS2 and Ive seen the trailer for the new one that's out on the Xbox One. It looks really interesting. :D

The game's fictional setting I read was described as a mountain or river or something that used to be a sacred place but was then turned into a notorious suicide spot. I wonder if it was inspired by Aokigahara which is Japan's notorious "suicide forest" said to be home to many ghosts?

It would make sense, the abandoned village in Fatal Frame 2 was also inspired by a real place in Japanese folklore: Sugisawa Village which is said to be a cursed abandoned village that vanished off the face of the earth after the villagers were wiped out by a genocidal madman.

Sugisawa was also the inspiration for the Hanuda village in the Siren video games. :skull:

Last edited by DeathFlowerKing on 27 Feb 2023, 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sigi

27 Feb 2023, 6:38 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Sigi wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:

Oh yes I used to love the Fatal Frame games for the PS2 and Ive seen the trailer for the new one that's out on the Xbox One. It looks really interesting. :D

The game's fictional setting I read was described as a mountain or river or something that used to be a sacred place but was then turned into a notorious suicide spot. I wonder if it was inspired by Aokigahara which is Japan's notorious "suicide forest" said to be home to many ghosts?

It would make sense, the abandoned village in Fatal Frame 2 was also inspired by a real place in Japanese folklore: Sugisawa Village which is said to be a cursed abandoned village that vanished off the face of the earth after the villagers were wiped out by a genocidal madman.

Sugisawa was also the inspiration for the Hanafuda village in the Siren video games. :skull:

I definitely think that was the inspiration for it. I didn't find it as creepy as the first 2 but it is a larger area

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2023, 6:52 pm

I remember back when I was on reddit there was someone brazen enough to do a tarot reading in the middle of Aokigahara while vacationing in Japan and the three cards they pulled I think were The Tower and 10 of Swords (I forget the third card they pulled I wish I could remember or find this page but it was probably deleted...)

A lot of people were not happy with what this guy did saying it was very distrspectful to the victims who took their own lives there. Also given that he pulled three very negative cards in a single reading would lead one to think that the ghosts there were not happy with him either. :skull:

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2023, 6:55 pm

Btw I meant "Hanuda" village not "Hanafuda" village lol. :oops:

Lecia_Wynter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Mar 2023, 4:31 am

Play Rogue Company. Its ret*d, but its an actual game, unlike many AAA "games" that are not games.

For instance, many AAA "games" are just walking simulator collectathons but presented in a cinematic way. But if they were an actual cinema, the movie would be a C type movie, not even a B movie. And game dev is ret*d so its the same handfuls of companies that keep making these games. If game dev was less primitive then more companies would be able to make AAA quality games (although the phrase "AAA quality" kind of sounds ironic.) But then the downside of that would be more garbage indie game spam.

Anyway, back to Rogue Company, it is ret*d because it is buggy and this makes it less competitive. For instance Trench has a barbed wire utility, a glitch that happens is it becomes invisible. So you could lose a match in competitive mode from dying from invisible barbed wire. This glitch happens about 50% of the time, making the game unsuitable for tournament play, but even if it happened only 0.5% of the time it would still probably be unsuitable for competitions. And often the matchmaking pairs platinums with bronze players. Still, at least it is an actual game and not a AAA "walking simulator".