Proposed Nevada law mandate license designation(diagnosed)

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2023, 10:43 am

Nevada Legislature considers bill to require if driver is on autism spectrum on license

Quote:
A bill being considered in the Nevada Legislature would require - under certain circumstances - the DMV to place a designation on a driver’s license for certain persons with autism.

AB161, acknowledges that current regulations with the DMV have symbols or other indicators of medical conditions on driver’s licenses. If passed, it would put such a designation if that person had autism.

The application for a license would include a statement from a licensed physician or an advanced practice registered nurse that the person does indeed have autism.

The ACLU of Nevada said in a statement Thursday the bill would help make police traffic stops safer for those affected.

So authoritarian of them.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2023, 10:54 am

Does this mean they would pay for a diagnosis for someone who wanted it on their DL but didn't have an official diagnosis?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2023, 11:42 am

Aspinator wrote:
Does this mean they would pay for a diagnosis for someone who wanted it on their DL but didn't have an official diagnosis?

The article is very vague no the would not have to pay.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2023, 6:05 pm

Cross Nevada off of my list of places to ever visit.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2023, 4:19 pm

Quote:
...to place a designation on a driver’s license for certain persons with autism.
"certain"?! What is the proposed criteria?

I'm inclined to think it should be optional and by the individual's choice.

If an Autistic is stopped, detained, or otherwise entangled in an official situation then they (the individual and/or the officials) might think the officials should be aware that the individual is Autistic.

Assuming the officials have sufficient training to properly use that information appropriately and usefully.

Quote:
The application for a license would include a statement from a licensed physician or an advanced practice registered nurse that the person does indeed have autism.
Shouldn't it be a statement from a licensed psychologist?

ilovepalmtrees
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Feb 2023, 2:11 pm

The only way I'm fine with this is if the designation is entirely voluntary. I hope the ACLU consulted autistic people before making the statement.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2023, 3:05 pm

duplicate, sorry

Last edited by AardvarkGoodSwimmer on 02 Mar 2023, 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2023, 3:06 pm

Yes, voluntary and optional.

And maybe card like this carried behind license?

=============

Some cops are asshats. I mean, just to put it out there and say it. And more charitably, even a first-rate cop can probably get into assh*le mode, just like most of us probably can from time to time.

A police officer can also try to get a rise out of you in order to get some kind of “poker read.”

Because of that, I’m not sure I’d tell an officer that I find “bright lights or loud noises overwhelming, stressful, or uncomfortable” like this sample card suggests. That may be giving away too much information.

Instead, I might put on a card, I often need questions slower than average. Because of auditory processing, it may take me longer than average to answer. Yes, I think there’s a significant side benefit to slowing down the interaction with law enforcement.

Last edited by AardvarkGoodSwimmer on 02 Mar 2023, 4:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2023, 4:09 pm

and sometimes shorter is better

PS I have no idea who the model on the card is.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2023, 11:13 am

https://www.aclunv.org/en/press-release ... ed-drivers

“ . . able to voluntarily request a designation on their driver's license . . ”

“ . . when engaging those who have voluntarily shared . . ”

=========

So, this is two places in which the Nevada ACLU is saying voluntary.