I hate being reminded that I have autism

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2023, 3:50 pm

It really bothers me when I try to talk to someone who knows that I have autism. Whenever I try to talk to them about something that bothers me I get these examples

“Well part of the problem is that you have autism so you sometimes engage in this or that behavior.”

“Well you have autism so you don’t know how to socialize.”

How do I assert myself when people when condescending remarks like that?

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2023, 4:01 pm

I don't really have a solution, but I can sympathize. Nothing shows my weaknesses or differences than trying to make small-talk. Even with someone who knows me and that I am autistic, it still ends up involving a lecture on how I should be doing things better or differently...and what's worse is, "you ought to know all of this by now."

delvian
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2023, 4:18 pm

Half the problem is that neurotypicals/allistics have no idea just how ridiculous a lot of their attitudes and behaviors are and the extent to which a lot of our supposed communication problems are down to how poorly they understand us, rather than the other way round.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2023, 4:28 pm

That's why I'm glad my ASD isn't known at work. If they did know about me having ASD, it would most likely always be mentioned whenever I confide to the boss/supervisor/union rep about anything.

One time I was watching a documentary about a school for autistic adolescents, and one 12-year-old was just more or less being a typical obnoxious 12-year-old kid with dysfunctional family issues, and when he was called to the principal's office they put all his behavioural issues down to "lacking empathy because he had Asperger's syndrome". :roll:

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2023, 5:07 pm

Joe, I don’t have to worry about telling my colleagues I have autism. They are very accepting and they look at autism differently.

Mainly, I seem to run into this type of issue with people outside of work.

What I think is that nts are probably very insecure about being around anyone who are different.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2023, 5:12 pm

It sounds like they're not making a proper effort to accommodate you. Instead they expect you to change your behavior for their comfort.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2023, 6:10 pm

Summer_Twilight wrote:
It really bothers me when I try to talk to someone who knows that I have autism. Whenever I try to talk to them about something that bothers me I get these examples

“Well part of the problem is that you have autism so you sometimes engage in this or that behavior.”

When people do that to me, I just want to SLAP them.

Sometimes I get snarky and throw it right back at them with something like, "the reason you are being a **** is because you are a neurotypical ableist snob so you sometimes talk to people in a condescending and ignorant manner like you are doing right now."

That usually shuts them up.

Wreck It Ralph

delvian
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2023, 6:15 pm

skibum wrote:
Sometimes I get snarky and throw it right back at them with something like, "the reason you are being a **** is because you are a neurotypical ableist snob so you sometimes talk to people in a condescending and ignorant manner like you are doing right now."

......I love this :lol:

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2023, 8:33 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
It sounds like they're not making a proper effort to accommodate you. Instead they expect you to change your behavior for their comfort.

This.

Readydaer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2023, 8:38 am

On the contrary, I wish my autism was more recognized. I have such a hard time with social skills, home life, chores, et cetera, that I wish people wouldn't scold me and tell me that I should know better and I'm too old for this and things like that. I wish they would give me a break, because of my being autistic. They expect so much from me that I can't process and understand.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2023, 8:48 am

Well I like people to accept that some of my quirks are part of me and not get on to me about it, but I don't like autism to keep being brought up to me like it defines me.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2023, 1:37 pm

Joe90 wrote:
Well I like people to accept that some of my quirks are part of me and not get on to me about it, but I don't like autism to keep being brought up to me like it defines me.
So are you sure you are Autistic then? I thought you were still trying to figure it out.

Wreck It Ralph

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2023, 2:09 pm

skibum wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
So are you sure you are Autistic then? I thought you were still trying to figure it out.

I just meant my symptoms from my ADHD and anxiety plus any social awkwardness.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2023, 2:15 pm

Readydaer wrote:
On the contrary, I wish my autism was more recognized. I have such a hard time with social skills, home life, chores, et cetera, that I wish people wouldn't scold me and tell me that I should know better and I'm too old for this and things like that. I wish they would give me a break, because of my being autistic. They expect so much from me that I can't process and understand.

NT's knowing you have autism won't lessen the scoldings or the negative commentary...they just don't care enough to change their own behaviors.

Readydaer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2023, 3:19 pm

DanielW wrote:

NT's knowing you have autism won't lessen the scoldings or the negative commentary...they just don't care enough to change their own behaviors.

That's a good point...

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2023, 4:02 pm

skibum wrote:
Summer_Twilight wrote:

When people do that to me, I just want to SLAP them.

:lol: Ok, I will use that