Should I try and find another job?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Inferno
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Feb 2023, 4:47 am

I've been working at McDonald's since October and I hate it. I always get placed on front counter where I'm forced to talk to customers and take their orders. I get overstimulated because of all the beeping and loud sounds and I freeze up when I have to interact with others. I find myself constantly asking for help from my co-workers and I don't think I'm much use. I'm thinking of getting a job at a supermarket because it would be quieter. How should I quit my job? I don't want my manager to get angry at me because I've only worked here a few months.

Sigi
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Feb 2023, 10:37 am

McDonald's has a high turn over rate so your boss has probably dealt with people leaving quickly all the time. My sister worked there and they had people walk off on their toilet breaks quite often. Just be polite when leaving and hand in your notice so they can start looking. See if you can get a reference from anyone you got on well with.

A supermarket may have less interaction but there will probably still be a fair bit and you could be put on the til. Although it all depends on which supermarket, I know in aldi or lidl they don't really talk to customers and I don't think they're encouraged to in order to keep the queue moving fast. Or you could get lucky and spend more time stocking up.

If there's any factories nearby you could try them too. I work in a food processing site and don't have to deal with any customers. Hell I barely even have to speak with my co-workers. Not great for developing social skills though and it can be really boring

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2023, 9:14 pm

Is it worth requesting a relatively quieter or more straight-forward job assignment? If it's a possibility, it might be worth it to them, unless you just don't want to be there at all. Reminder: Doesn't have to be all or nothing - moderation can be a win-win.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2023, 10:09 pm

I heard that mcdonald's won't let you take sick leave unless you negotiate for someone else to take your shift (you have to manage this swapover, while sick).