Are you afraid of fire alarms and smoke detectors?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Sonic200
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Mar 2023, 3:51 pm

Are you afraid of fire alarms and smoke detectors?

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2023, 4:24 pm

No. And I typically respond more quickly than others in the area.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2023, 4:41 pm

Afraid of them? Nah. But the sounds of stuff like that drives me nuts. It's just too much and needs to stop asap.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2023, 5:13 pm

Am more afraid of fire and smoke.

But it is pain in my apartment to keep the skillet from setting off the alarm.

Alarms are annoying (theyre supposed to be). But ive never heard of folks being phobic about them.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2023, 5:36 pm

I'm always startled so badly by them that I'm shaking for half an hour afterward. I'm not overly nervous about the possibility of them going off, but when they do, it's a very unpleasant experience for me. Instant shutdown.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2023, 7:08 pm

I remember the school fire alarms.
BUZZ!! !! BUZZ!! !! BUZZ!! !! BUZZ!! !!

I used to cover my ears and scream whenever I heard it.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2023, 7:53 pm

Hate the sound but I’m bad about forgetting stuff cooking.Boiled some eggs dry once, it took ages for the smell to dissipate.
They are a necessary evil.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2023, 9:15 pm

I'm more afraid of fire and smoke.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

04 Mar 2023, 10:52 am

I'm not afraid of them but my girlfriend is. She always wears at least one earplug in our apartment partly because she's afraid of the fire alarm going off. The loud noise would be more likely to cause her to stay inside during a fire because she'll put both her hands over her ears & would be too paralyzed to leave due to a panic attack without direction from someone else. Thankfully the alarms have only gone off a handful of times during the 3 years we've been living here & most of the times it was because they were testing them or doing some kinda maitance on them that we had a notice about so my gf visited her family for a couple nights.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2023, 10:53 am

I'm more afraid of fire and smoke than I am of fire smoke detectors and fire alarms.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2023, 10:59 am

They absolutely freak me out when they go off, just like the sounds of burglar alarms, hoover vacuum cleaners and drilling noises. So much so that I've disposed of my fire alarms and had my household security alarm disconnected several years ago. I dreaded the thought of the latter going off late at night, which once happened, and I then had to do something about it. The guy who disabled my home alarm took just two minutes to do so, and charged me £60, by the way.

Sonic200
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Mar 2023, 11:11 am

DeepHour wrote:
They absolutely freak me out when they go off, just like the sounds of burglar alarms, hoover vacuum cleaners and drilling noises. So much so that I've disposed of my fire alarms and had my household security alarm disconnected several years ago. I dreaded the thought of the latter going off late at night, which once happened, and I then had to do something about it. The guy who disabled my home alarm took just two minutes to do so, and charged me £60, by the way.

That's not safe. You need a working smoking alarm to be safe. Fires are deadly. The sound may terrify you, but what is more terrifying is being without one and dying in a fire.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2023, 12:12 pm

No.
Instead of your usual kind of anxiety, I get a form of excitement instead. "Finally, something different and rarely ever happened!"

I'm not even afraid of smoke and fire. I may even try and find it. I'd be too busy being 'curious' and attempt to 'solve the issue' or whatever the heck I'd do simply because I never encountered it.

Someone HAS to 'freak out for me' or that I have to think that someone will be.
Why did it had to take a form of guilt tripping just to make me at least 'physically safe'?

I have a screwed sense of fear to a point that I may 'need' some form of anxiety in my life. I just get boredom and exasperated types of stress instead.

Maybe this had to be done often enough for me to 'lose it's novelty' and take it more seriously.
Or, if done pointlessly routine, like any interruption from super focusing, exasperation.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

05 Mar 2023, 5:03 am

Sonic200 wrote:
DeepHour wrote:

That's not safe. You need a working smoking alarm to be safe. Fires are deadly. The sound may terrify you, but what is more terrifying is being without one and dying in a fire.
Hypothetically... I think it would be more dangerous if the sound causes him to be unable to move due to having hands over his head & being freaked out like a deer in headlights. Plus the anxiety everyday about them possibly going off might contribute to health problems or force him to be on anxiety meds that have side-effects. It would be better if there was an alternative to the noise like the flashing ones designed for death people but are also silent. Or perhaps a home sprinkler system that would automatically go off as well; the possessions & home might take some water damage but it might stop the fire :wink:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2023, 5:31 am

Just for the sake of clarity, the alarm that I brought in an engineer to disconnect was a burglar alarm system, a pretty heavy-duty one comprising an outside unit with a flashing light and ringing bell, and an interior unit which emitted a horrendously loud whooping sound that could probably be heard by half the street. The fire alarm (smoke detector) was a lot easier to deal with - just remove the battery.

Sonic200
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Mar 2023, 6:03 am

nick007 wrote:
Sonic200 wrote:
DeepHour wrote:

Hypothetically... I think it would be more dangerous if the sound causes him to be unable to move due to having hands over his head & being freaked out like a deer in headlights. Plus the anxiety everyday about them possibly going off might contribute to health problems or force him to be on anxiety meds that have side-effects. It would be better if there was an alternative to the noise like the flashing ones designed for death people but are also silent. Or perhaps a home sprinkler system that would automatically go off as well; the possessions & home might take some water damage but it might stop the fire :wink:

I have fear of smoke alarms going off and when they go off I try to get away from the sound as fast as I can. Smoke alarms most certainly won't make me stay inside, staying inside and having to continue to hear the loud smoke alarm would be the last thing on my mind.