Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sonic200
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Mar 2023, 11:09 am

Some guy was enjoying ice cream in his own apartment and a woman came in and shot him for being an "intruder".

We need less guns.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2023, 10:53 pm

amuuuurica is circling the drain.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2023, 10:55 pm

auntblabby wrote:
amuuuurica is circling the drain.

I kinda think the whole world is...

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2023, 11:01 pm

My late step-father use to say: "Guns don't kill people. PEOPLE kill people!"

Especially since guns are just mere, albeit dangerous, tools for warfare and hunting.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2023, 11:14 pm

UncannyDanny wrote:

Especially since guns are just mere, albeit dangerous, tools for warfare and hunting.

Kitchen knives and hammers are dangerous tools too yet I don't see people wanting to ban them. Just a thought.

Frankly I don't think the problem with the US is the guns, it's the people in the US who are the problem.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2023, 11:41 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
UncannyDanny wrote:

Kitchen knives and hammers are dangerous tools too yet I don't see people wanting to ban them. Just a thought.

Frankly I don't think the problem with the US is the guns, it's the people in the US who are the problem.

To be fair, kitchen knives and hammers aren't designed as weapons, and many places do limit access to edged weapons.

Although I do think you're probably right at the core of it. Americans can't handle the gun rights they've given themselves, at least not as a society. Whether or not that means eventually that will ruin it for everyone who is responsible is another question. The gun lobby will delay that as long as possible.

For what it's worth, Canada with American gun laws would look a lot more like America. The problem of irresponsibility isn't limited to Americans, just the regulation side of things and the resulting arms race between police, people seeking self-defence and criminals is limited to the US.

For some reason the Swiss seem to make it work, but that's because they take all aspects of it seriously. American gun culture almost seems to treat them like toys at times.

I'd love for the sort of gun rights I thought were reasonable as a kid to actually work in real life. I have no inherent problem with civilians owning automatic rifles or machine guns, let alone semis. It's just that it seems like what I'd like to work ideally doesn't work in practice.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Last edited by funeralxempire on 05 Mar 2023, 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2023, 11:45 pm

I was thinking of getting a gun.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2023, 12:05 am

funeralxempire wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:
UncannyDanny wrote:

To be fair, kitchen knives and hammers aren't designed as weapons, and many places do limit access to edged weapons.

Although I do think you're probably right at the core of it. Americans can't handle the gun rights they've given themselves, at least not as a society. Whether or not that means eventually that will ruin it for everyone who is responsible is another question. The gun lobby will delay that as long as possible.

For what it's worth, Canada with American gun laws would look a lot more like America. The problem of irresponsibility isn't limited to Americans, just the regulation side of things and the resulting arms race between police, people seeking self-defence and criminals is limited to the US.

For some reason the Swiss seem to make it work, but that's because they take all aspects of it seriously. American gun culture almost seems to treat them like toys at times.

I'd love for the sort of gun rights I thought were reasonable as a kid to actually work in real life. I have no inherent problem with civilians owning automatic rifles or machine guns, let alone semis. It's just that it seems like what I'd like to work ideally doesn't work in practice.

I agree and I wonder if maybe Americans glorifying violence plays a big part in this? I mean just look at our Hollywood movies and video games, I'd say 90% of them are always about glorifying gun violence.

I think Americans have been programmed to worship violence the same way they worship money. It's just something deeply ingrained into our own culture and it's coming back to bite us today.

It's not that im against responsible citizens like my mom owning a gun or two for practical purposes like self-defense or hunting or because it belonged to a relative who fought in a war. But when our country has young children frequently bringing guns to school to shoot up other kids it should serve as a wake-up call to how irresponsible we are as a society...

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2023, 12:14 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:
UncannyDanny wrote:

I agree and I wonder if maybe Americans glorifying violence plays a big part in this? I mean just look at our Hollywood movies and video games, I'd say 90% of them are always about glorifying gun violence.

I think Americans have been programmed to worship violence the same way they worship money. It's just something deeply ingrained into our own culture and it's coming back to bite us today.

It's not that im against responsible citizens like my mom owning a gun or two for practical purposes like self-defense or hunting or because it belonged to a relative who fought in a war. But when our country has young children frequently bringing guns to school to shoot up other kids it should serve as a wake-up call to how irresponsible we are as a society...

I think you're on to something, that it's related to the culture. An instant gratification culture isn't the best at managing complex responsibilities.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2023, 11:51 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:
UncannyDanny wrote:

We're right next door with a similar varied English speaking Western culture and we see 100% of all the same movies & video games in Canada. It's not the movies, video games, rap music or any other media consumption. It's definitely the ease of access to ~unlimited guns + distinctly American culture of gun rights + maybe some societal promotions of violence such as America's couple hundred year long history of war + the NRA/gun lobby/fear marketing etc.

There are still violent criminals in Canada, and a bunch that use guns. Most of those guns are smuggled from other countries vs. legally obtained - and most of those come across the US border. If it were easy as pie to get guns in Canada then more criminals would have them, and so would careless owners and thus more would end up in kids' hands etc etc like happens in the USA where there are more guns than people.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2023, 12:53 pm

You know? I would think of a response to this if I still gave a damn about anything. :shrug:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2023, 5:09 pm

Sonic200 wrote:
Some guy was enjoying ice cream in his own apartment and a woman came in and shot him for being an "intruder".

We need less guns.

We need MORE guns!

Its the guy's fault. His fault for not packing heat himself. He should have had a loaded pistol in his pocket and should have used psychic powers to anticipate that the lady would barge in and...shoulda plugged her first in self-defense. :D

Lecia_Wynter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Apr 2023, 6:03 am

Sonic200 wrote:

We need less guns.

What we need is constant PSA's and education on how to use guns. People need to be taught that its not acceptable to do things like that. Though I suspect there is more to the story than is being told, my guess is either she is lying and shot him for ulterior motives, or she was on meth or something.

Though I am pro-gun I am not gonna say that the same thing would have happened with knives, knives are inferior to guns for self-defense and she probably wouldn't have attacked him with a knife. That being said, I don't believe in Japanese group-punishment (in fuedal Japan, society functioned as a collective instead of individuals, so samurai clans were treated as a collective punishment if one member acted badly.) And banning guns because of some crazy b**tch is just a form of collective punishment, like how in Kindergarten all the kids would get punished if one kid broke the rules, which p*ssed me off to no end back then and it still does now.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2023, 10:48 am

Lecia_Wynter wrote:
Sonic200 wrote:

We need less guns.

What we need is constant PSA's and education on how to use guns. People need to be taught that its not acceptable to do things like that. Though I suspect there is more to the story than is being told, my guess is either she is lying and shot him for ulterior motives, or she was on meth or something.

Though I am pro-gun I am not gonna say that the same thing would have happened with knives, knives are inferior to guns for self-defense and she probably wouldn't have attacked him with a knife. That being said, I don't believe in Japanese group-punishment (in fuedal Japan, society functioned as a collective instead of individuals, so samurai clans were treated as a collective punishment if one member acted badly.) And banning guns because of some crazy b**tch is just a form of collective punishment, like how in Kindergarten all the kids would get punished if one kid broke the rules, which p*ssed me off to no end back then and it still does now.

Society already has collective regulations to govern everyone, though.

We all have to wear seat belts even though they only save those who get in crashes. We all have to obey the speed limit even if we're talented drivers operating machines with great tires & brakes and aren't likely to cause a speed related accident. We all have to not drink and drive even though only some people might get into an accident. etc.

Why should other things that pose serious injury/death risks Also not have some form of collective regulation for people to abide by in order to preserve life?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

03 May 2023, 9:28 am

I'm NOT saying that guns here in American are not a major problem but I think that guns are a symptom of a much bigger problem. The American dream is UNobtainable for many Americans. The big businesses & mega wealthy have majorly rigged the system in their favor. They encourage individuals to blame & fight with each other in order to make them scapegoats for all of societies problems & so the wealthy can make even more money. I bet that gun violence would majorly decline if the system was overhauled to be a lot more fairer to the average citizen. Our government spends tons of money on our majorly bloated military budget so we can police the rest of the world while ignoring & blaming our own citizens. Instead of trying to restrict guns & making responsible gun owners feel accused & blamed, we should be focused on trying to give a leg up & helping hand to our most vulnerable & needy citizens. Provide quality & free health care, especially for mental health. Help people find & maintain gainful employment like raising the federal minimum-wage that has not risen in 15 years despite the rapid inflation, provide quality free higher education, invest more heavily in vocational rehabilitation services to help disabled people be employed & be able pay back into the system with their taxes instead of continuing to be forced to rely upon it. End the failed war on drugs. Crack down on bullying in schools, in the workplace, & within our government.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2023, 9:30 am

I find some guns very fascinating. Especially machine guns and lugers.