What is autism like?
Is you're experience good or 40%  40%  [ 12 ]
Bad 60%  60%  [ 18 ]
Total votes : 30

maybeautistic
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Mar 2023, 2:52 am

I think I have autism but I'm not sure. Can anyone tell me what it feels like?

Dengashinobi
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2023, 3:39 am

Form me it's like this: society doesn't make any sense. People seem irrational and instinct driven, like animals. They don't care about knowledge and facts but they seem happy and often successful. Also everybody seems to get allong with each other flawlessly except with you.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2023, 3:52 am

Everything is "too".

Too loud, too bright, too tight, too itchy, too anxious, too tired, too engrossed, too scattered, too particular ...

The only thing I've never experienced is boredom.

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2023, 6:44 am

for me its bliss but most people with autism dont like having autism

Urselius
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Mar 2023, 7:13 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Everything is "too".

Too loud, too bright, too tight, too itchy, too anxious, too tired, too engrossed, too scattered, too particular ...

The only thing I've never experienced is boredom.

I am also totally immune to boredom, except in airports waiting for a flight. Probably due to being unable to settle enough to read.

Autism affects each person very individually. For me it has advantages and disadvantages. My eye for detail is an advantage, both my master's and PhD theses were passed without a single correction (relatively rare), as is my problem solving ability. My chronic state of heightened anxiety, body-language blindness and a variety of sensory problems are disadvantageous.

On the whole, the heightened abilities outweigh the disadvantages of my autism.

Silence23
Toucan
Toucan

05 Mar 2023, 7:58 am

I like autism in myself and other people. To the point I'd prefer to live in a society full of autistics. But I don't like the problems I have, caused by a combination of autism and other issues.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2023, 8:01 am

It's both good and bad. It's great, actually phenomenal, when I get to experience life without being neurologically assaulted and socially abused. It's horrific when I have to deal with how people often treat me because I am Autistic.

Wreck It Ralph

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2023, 8:02 am

life was hell and extremely painful in so many ways until I began to suspect my autism at age 65, professionally diagnosed at age 68 and sorting the past before diagnosis from this new perspective has made all the answers to a life time of "whys" fall into place.

Now I understand how autism had so much to do with each painful experience and understand "nobody knew", and I have been able to finally understand myself, begin to understand others. What a relief!

Having diagnosis at such a late stage in my life means I'll be doing "emotional homework" for the rest of my life.

It has been such a relief to find out I was not completely to blame for "everything" and that there are others out there (here!) who actually understand. There are others who have insights and ideas to help me find new ways to do the hardest things in my life, and who share some of the same struggles and hardships. Somebody early on said "you are not alone" and I cried.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2023, 9:27 am

Mostly that I don't know what it is like to not to be one.

I know what it is like to be a reliably functioning autistic, I also know what it is like to be an unreliable dysfunctional autistic.

Most of my complaints are more to do with emotional liability, executive function, communication and language issues.

Than with how people treated me, how chaotic and overstimulating the environment is, anything involving professional help due to my own circumstances, or how I feel around people and relationships, with how different my world, processes and perceptions are from theirs.

The most concrete thing I can tell is that I'm still playing catch up at 27.
I'm not a developmentally balanced 27 year old woman. And I'm turning 28 soon.

I simply accept the fact that I'm not an NT or this so called 'normal person'.
Fitting in just doesn't mean much to me.

I can blend and pass, I also don't mask or script my way in and out.
I'm one of those very privileged autistics who can pass enough to be taken seriously, and get away with choosing to act 'weirder' than what is normally acceptable.
Because of this, there are rules that I'm exempted from. I came from a different culture from the west.

And I have issues and other things to my life outside autism.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Last edited by Edna3362 on 05 Mar 2023, 9:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2023, 9:31 am

Being Autistic itself isn't so bad.

It's having to live with/deal with/interact with neurotypicals that's the problem.

(Don't be coy. Deep, deep down, most of you know what I'm saying is true.)

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2023, 11:10 am

My Autism has been like being stranded on the Wrong Planet...and not knowing it.

Older folk might understand me when I say it has been like living in the Twilight Zone. It seems like the real world but there is a subtle, inexplicable undercurrent of strangeness and unpleasantness.

<=>- People seemed to think I was different and I didn't know why.
<=>- People seemed to treat me differently and I didn't know why.
<=>- People seemed to behave meanly and strangely and I didn't know why.

When I was very young I only barely noticed that things seemed strange. As I grew older I became suspicious that there might be something wrong with me. But then, as my credentials grew, I increasingly believed that I was not the problem...it was the World that was messed up.

I hope you have found these:
<=>- Autism-Spectrum Quotient Test (AQ)
<=>- Aspie Quiz Registering is optional!

When my bride and I became increasingly convinced I might be on the Autism Spectrum it was the AQ test that convinced me it wasn't just our imagination, that it was a real possibility worth pursuing.

P.S. In my case I wanted a formal diagnosis. That was a personal preference.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2023, 11:14 am

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
Being Autistic itself isn't so bad.

It's having to live with/deal with/interact with neurotypicals that's the problem.

(Don't be coy. Deep, deep down, most of you know what I'm saying is true.)
Yes, it is.

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2023, 11:15 am

Double Retired wrote:
My Autism has been like being stranded on the Wrong Planet...and not knowing it.

Older folk might understand me when I say it has been like living in the Twilight Zone. It seems like the real world but there is a subtle, inexplicable undercurrent of strangeness and unpleasantness.

<=>- People seemed to think I was different and I didn't know why.
<=>- People seemed to treat me differently and I didn't know why.
<=>- People seemed to behave meanly and strangely and I didn't know why.

When I was very young I only barely noticed that things seemed strange. As I grew older I became suspicious that there might be something wrong with me. But then, as my credentials grew, I increasingly believed that I was not the problem...it was the World that was messed up.

I hope you have found these:
<=>- Autism-Spectrum Quotient Test (AQ)
<=>- Aspie Quiz Registering is optional!

When my bride and I became increasingly convinced I might be on the Autism Spectrum it was the AQ test that convinced me it wasn't just our imagination, that it was a real possibility worth pursuing.

P.S. In my case I wanted a formal diagnosis. That was a personal preference.
Your Twilight Zone analogy is spot on. Were you able to get the diagnosis?

Wreck It Ralph

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2023, 11:19 am

It's like being some other sort of animal, awkwardly pretending to be human.

"If you stick a knife in my back 9 inches and pull it out 6 inches, there's no progress. If you pull it all the way out, that's not progress. The progress is healing the wound that the blow made... and they won't even admit the knife is there." Malcolm X
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2023, 11:32 am

funeralxempire wrote:
This is one of the best and most accurate descriptions that I have ever seen. I literally felt this when I was a young teen.

Wreck It Ralph

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2023, 11:52 am

skibum wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:
This is one of the best and most accurate descriptions that I have ever seen. I literally felt this when I was a young teen.

I still feel like that now.