Page 6 of 11 [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 9:16 am

KitLily wrote:
rse92 wrote:
I happen to like most neurotypical people as I like most all people. Living in a world where it us versus them is a poor use of psychic energy. Envy is a deadly sin.

Yep. Tell that to the world, politicians and social media. They are setting us all up to be envious of each other and it won't end well...

I'm pretty sure your envy of NT's has nothing to do with politicians or social media. You can blame the world but that is lame. Look into your own heart.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 6:57 pm

I've seen the term "NT privilege" thrown around this forum. I think that's valid.
But at the same time doesn't that depend on the individual? No two people on the spectrum are the same.

Some people take maximum use of their strengths. The AS guy whom I mentioned earlier had "weird" traits but he was very strategic in maximising his skills that overlapped with his personal interests. He also acted very NT in terms of being selective on networking only with people whom he saw value. As a result, he was highly successful running his own business where all his clients were NTs.

Often relationships can be transactional.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 8:57 pm

cyberdad wrote:
I've seen the term "NT privilege" thrown around this forum. I think that's valid.
But at the same time doesn't that depend on the individual? No two people on the spectrum are the same.

Some people take maximum use of their strengths. The AS guy whom I mentioned earlier had "weird" traits but he was very strategic in maximising his skills that overlapped with his personal interests. He also acted very NT in terms of being selective on networking only with people whom he saw value. As a result, he was highly successful running his own business where all his clients were NTs.

I have heard this said about Bill Gates.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 10:22 pm

Pepe wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

I have heard this said about Bill Gates.

Not to mention Elon Musk

TheUndiagnosed
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Mar 2023, 10:42 pm

MechaOphidian wrote:

I'm 3 months into Isolation from Neurotypicald and it's been a world of difference in my mental health.

They are truly just not like me and any interaction with them is both mentally exhausting and honestly boring...

I understand your point.
I think normies can sometimes be very cruel but also very "stupid" in the way they act.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2023, 4:31 am

cyberdad wrote:

Yes, I've read about transactional relationships. I read advice by 'communication experts' to say that we should move on from transactional relationships to transformational relationships where we aren't trying to get things from other people. But instead getting to know each other. Something like that anyway.

I haven't seen much evidence of that, I think humanity is still at the stage of transactional relationships.

I often think 'communication experts' live in cloud cuckoo land.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2023, 4:35 am

rse92 wrote:
I'm pretty sure your envy of NT's has nothing to do with politicians or social media. You can blame the world but that is lame. Look into your own heart.

Can you clearly explain what you mean because I have no idea. How am I envious or blaming the world? I started this thread to give and get practical advice on how to communicate with NTs, or people in general I suppose. Have you any advice, or tips to help me?

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2023, 4:37 am

KitLily wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Yes, I've read about transactional relationships. I read advice by 'communication experts' to say that we should move on from transactional relationships to transformational relationships where we aren't trying to get things from other people. But instead getting to know each other. Something like that anyway.

I haven't seen much evidence of that, I think humanity is still at the stage of transactional relationships.

I often think 'communication experts' live in cloud cuckoo land.

If a "transaction" involves a mutual personal sense of meaning, it can't be too bad. 8)

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2023, 4:44 am

Pepe wrote:
If a "transaction" involves a mutual personal sense of meaning, it can't be too bad. 8)

I don't think it does. It means 'I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine.' Person A does something practical e.g. lends some money to person B. Then person B cleans the windows of person A in return. They don't really connect deeply, they're just like business acquaintances.

MechaOphidian
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Mar 2023, 7:53 am

KitLily wrote:
I totally agree with you. A guy online (not social media) said this:

[i]It's possible we took a wrong turn somewhere when we started focusing on metrics in our everyday life.

It's ok to do something just because you want to, or because it brings you personal joy / fulfillment / satisfaction.

It's ok if no one sees it. It's ok if no one knows about it.

This is the best way I have honestly seen this articulated ever

Nail on the head right there, everyone is doing things to have their accomplishments seen by others not for themselves, allistics have been given a literal metric of their validation in the form of a follower count and that seems to have led them to lose all sight of reality.

KitLily wrote:

He is correct. We should stop measuring these things and just live life for the fun of it. Not because we want to be 'influencers'.

I do that with my fanfic now. Many people write fanfic hoping the actual actors will read it and comment or whatever. I was horrified when I found that actors read fanfic. So now my own fics are tagged so eccentrically that few people will find them. I write them for myself. I laughed so much at one I wrote yesterday I gave myself a tummy ache. :lol:

I like this a lot, I conjured the idea of Emma Watson actually reading a harry potter fanfic it was adorable. Nothing better then writing for yourself tbh, people seem to forget to live amongst all their legacy creation efforts.

MechaOphidian
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Mar 2023, 8:02 am

Quote:
For younger ppl who need more life experience, I don't recommend isolation.
For older ppl, it is a "godsend" to be a recluse.

I get this, I wouldn't be who I am now nor have the knowledge I did if I didn't spend all the time I did trying to understand them. Now that I understand them, I want nothing to do with them lol.

Quote:
My grandpappy skunk used to say:
"Most pain comes from other ppl...
Reason would suggest avoiding most ppl."
Smart old bugger. 8)

Skunk was wise indeed

Quote:
I think most ppl on the spectrum find "chit-chat" uninteresting.

The very idea that people literally find small chat engaging blows my mind

Quote:
Don't speak too soon.
You haven't met EVERYBODY. :twisted:

There's always someone to ruin the fun I suppose, I've read a few threads that have gotten derailed already feels like the Gaia days lol

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2023, 8:04 am

KitLily wrote:

It's biologically programmed in NT peers to seek mutually beneficial relationships. If you see that another person (who is your peer) is also benefitting from a friendship (rather than just one-way traffic) then you continue to "transact" so as to maintain some form of stability in the relationship (most of the time we want it to continue). NT society works like that, where peers come together find commonality and use that to build bonds.

The type of relationship between you and somebody who is socially "higher" on the pecking order (yes this does exist unfortunately) is differentiated in terms paying more for the more "important" persons time/space in order to make that person convinced you are worth their time.

MechaOphidian
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 Mar 2023, 8:08 am

cyberdad wrote:
MechaOphidian wrote:
I'm 3 months into Isolation from Neurotypicald and it's been a world of difference in my mental health.
:

How do you avoid NTs for 3 months?

Free-lance work online + Costco Self-Checkout

The only time I speak to Allistics is when the universe itself has decided I need to interact with one :roll:

Dentists/Doctors/Repairmen etc.

You can't live in a society with other humans in full isolation it's not exactly possible but you can damn well shield yourself from the absolute vast majority if you move to remote work.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2023, 9:26 am

MechaOphidian wrote:
KitLily wrote:
I totally agree with you. A guy online (not social media) said this:

It's possible we took a wrong turn somewhere when we started focusing on metrics in our everyday life.

It's ok to do something just because you want to, or because it brings you personal joy / fulfillment / satisfaction.

It's ok if no one sees it. It's ok if no one knows about it.

This is the best way I have honestly seen this articulated ever

Nail on the head right there, everyone is doing things to have their accomplishments seen by others not for themselves, allistics have been given a literal metric of their validation in the form of a follower count and that seems to have led them to lose all sight of reality.

Yes, he really summed it up well didn't he. :star: And so did you! These days many people are living a kind of 'by proxy' life where everything is done for effect. I think you are correct- many people have lost sight of reality because of this.

That is why I don't go on social media much anymore.

MechaOphidian wrote:
KitLily wrote:
He is correct. We should stop measuring these things and just live life for the fun of it. Not because we want to be 'influencers'.

I do that with my fanfic now. Many people write fanfic hoping the actual actors will read it and comment or whatever. I was horrified when I found that actors read fanfic. So now my own fics are tagged so eccentrically that few people will find them. I write them for myself. I laughed so much at one I wrote yesterday I gave myself a tummy ache. :lol:

I like this a lot, I conjured the idea of Emma Watson actually reading a harry potter fanfic it was adorable. Nothing better then writing for yourself tbh, people seem to forget to live amongst all their legacy creation efforts.

Yes, I write fanfics for myself and to put them 'out there in the universe.' I feel like stories are alive and need to be expressed and set free. I know that sounds like I'm right up my own a55 but I'm not writing to impress anyone but ME. Actors and characters are separate.

I watched a video of a fan convention and they said 'these specific actors love reading fanfic, so tailor your fanfic accordingly'. It was so cringey.

Last edited by KitLily on 31 Mar 2023, 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2023, 9:30 am

cyberdad wrote:
It's biologically programmed in NT peers to seek mutually beneficial relationships. If you see that another person (who is your peer) is also benefitting from a friendship (rather than just one-way traffic) then you continue to "transact" so as to maintain some form of stability in the relationship (most of the time we want it to continue). NT society works like that, where peers come together find commonality and use that to build bonds.

The type of relationship between you and somebody who is socially "higher" on the pecking order (yes this does exist unfortunately) is differentiated in terms paying more for the more "important" persons time/space in order to make that person convinced you are worth their time.

Jesus, I'm glad I'm not an NT then! It never occurred to me til I read about transactional relationships recently, that people only have relationships with other people who can directly benefit them.

I thought friendships were for fun and because you liked the other person. Not to get some kind of practical benefit.

I like to interact with people intellectually- share ideas and thoughts, philosophies and imagination. A meeting of minds is my greatest hope and enjoyment with people.

That explains why I don't have friends right now- I can provide no practical benefit.

This has changed over the years- I used to have friends in my teens and twenties just because we liked each other and got on well.

How sad this world has become...

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2023, 2:00 pm

Neurotypical people do not only have relationships with other people who can directly benefit them. For crying out loud.