Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

GMW73
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Mar 2023, 2:08 am

Simple question:

What's the best book for someone who has been diagnosed with Asperger's quite late in life?

It should deal with such things as re-evaluating the past, learning to stop (or control) masking techniques that have been learned during life, dealing with stress, avoiding (further) burnout, and so on - the usual stuff you'd expect one has to deal with when confronted with a large chance in self-image and self-understanding.

Thanks in advance.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2023, 2:44 am

I have a couple of books you could have if you want them:

The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome
and
Autism A New Understanding.

I'm not sure how helpful they would be to you,
I found them interesting,
almost everything seems geared towards children, though.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2023, 6:19 pm

Welcome to WP

Tony Attwood's Complete Guide To Asperger's Syndrome is one of my favorites. It was written for teachers, but I found it wonderful for self-discovery and self-understanding. I read it right before I got my official diagnosis.

I also think that adult Autistic Youtubers are a great resource as well especially since many of them were diagnosed as adults.

Wreck It Ralph

GMW73
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Mar 2023, 8:09 pm

I've just started reading The Complete Guide to AS (Tony Attwood) so good to hear it comes recommended! The local library has been quite good actually. I've also found 'Very Late Diagnosis of Asperger Syndrome: How Seeking a Diagnosis in Adulthood can Change your Life'. I've just finished it, and it was a very useful book as an intro into what's ahead. I was hoping to find something which would go into greater depth about the next stages.

GMW73
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Mar 2023, 1:18 am

Just came across this one mentioned on an old episode of 'Ask Dr Tony'. Sounds like it could fit the bill quite well:

Been There. Done That. Try This! An Aspie's Guide to Life on Earth," Tony Attwood

Blurb:

"If you only buy one book to improve your life this year, make it this one. Temple Grandin, Liane Holliday Willey, Anita Lesko, Stephen M. Shore, and many other Aspie mentors, offer their personal guidance on coping with the daily stressors that Aspies have identified as being the most significant, in order of urgency - anxiety, self-esteem, change, meltdowns, depression, friendship, love, and much, much more. Based on years of personal experience, this book is packed with advice from Aspie mentors who have all been there and done that! World expert Dr. Tony Attwood rounds up each chapter with professional analysis and extensive recommendations. He includes essential information on destructive strategies that may look attractive, but that have counter-productive effects. Including full color artwork from Aspie artists showing visually how they interpret each stressor, this is THE inspirational guide to life for young adults, the newly diagnosed, and as a life-long reference for anyone on the spectrum - written by Aspies for Aspies."

Reviews

A truly marvelous book filled with practical help and solutions. This will be of great value to individuals with Asperger's and their family members! -- Fred R. Volkmar, M.D., Irving B. Harris Professor, Director of Child Study Center at Yale University School of Medicine, Chief of Child Psychiatry at Yale New Haven Hospital, and Editor-in-Chief of Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders

Clear, concise, well-structured, and an easy read, Been There. Done That. Try This! is an accessible compendium of wisdom from Aspie forebears and the dedicated bridgekeepers who have empowered them. Non-preachy, warm, often funny, the host of positive role models offer up a vast range of healthy choices for a new generation. This collection addresses all the major issues facing Aspies today and is the long-awaited instruction manual gifting future generations of Aspies with the ideas, strategies, and understanding that will empower them in their own diverse journeys. -- Donna Williams, author, artist, autism consultant, and public speaker

The voices speaking in Been There. Done That. Try This! are the salve to heal the wounds of the aching soul, ending isolation while shining the light of introspective understanding to people with autism, by people with autism. It's lovely to see our voices as the experts while others who care so greatly for us serve the authors in a consultative role - as it should be. -- Dena L. Gassner, MSW, Program Director of Center for Understanding, Board Member of GRASP, and Advisory Board Member of Autism Society of America

Under the auspices of the venerable Asperger's expert Dr. Tony Attwood, leading self-advocate Anita Lesko, and community organizer Craig Evans comes a full chorus of voices from the autism spectrum: young, old, male, female, and global. Together, these self-advocates offer perspectives, life stories, and advice for not only living, but thriving in an often inhospitable world. Been There. Done That. Try This! addresses every major stressor in the life of a young adult with Asperger's, from the personal to the interpersonal, from schools to offices, from trying to pass to disclosing a diagnosis. Each issue has its essayists' anecdotal advice matched with Dr. Attwood's professional insight, rounding out a comprehensive approach to meeting and defeating the challenges we face. -- Daniel Heinlein, Host of I Am Autistic, The Autism Channel

Resonating profoundly with my own difficulties, the Aspie mentors within this book validate our challenges from their personal experiences. By giving positive practical advice, the Aspie mentors better equip us for many aspects of our everyday living. This is an outstanding guide that every Aspie should own! -- Barb Cook, Editor-in-Chief of Autism Aspergers Network Magazine and co-founder of Australian Autism Aspergers Network Inc.

The title of this book is appealing in that it suggests that it will contain many practical strategies for those with an interest in Asperger syndrome (Aspies) or those termed high functioning autism... Each of the 17 chapters deals with an issue ranked as one of the 17th most common for those with autism or Asperger syndrome. The topics range from anxiety, self-esteem, managing change, meltdowns, depression, sensory issues, friendship, intimate relationships, to employment and diagnostic issues and disclosure... The book is full of practical ideas and activities. -- Dr Glenys Jones, Chartered Psychologist * Good Autism Practice (GAP) *

I was impressed by the range and depth of the material making this a great resource for clinicians, as well as for adults with ASD and their friends, partners and relatives... The contributors are a brilliant, insightful group of people who provide rich, unique ideas on how to navigate the tricky waters of life, despite having a highly complex, little-understood neurological condition. I was blown away by this book and just couldn't put it down! Every adult with what used to be called Asperger Syndrome of High-Functioning Autism (AS/HFA) should include this on their reading list! -- Horizons - Autism Society of Michigan Quarterly Newsletter

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2023, 7:14 am

not books, but try reading Cynthia Kims blogs (she does have books out there too, all good), and join a support group or two that is for autistic adults. This is a great group with wonderful caring and helpful members.

Since others are recommending youtube and other formats besides books, I'll recommend a facebook group I moderate ( is this shameless self promotion?) which is meant especially for older adults who are seeking diagnosis or are recently diagnosed.

Facebook "autism for older adults" group is meant to give a sort of starter place or "beginners" "training wheels" place where lots of autism information about diagnosis, autism itself, and adjusting to diagnosis can be found all in one place, not a support or social group like this one, no politics or chat, but just lots of links, studies, articles, info and explanations I wish I had found somewhere all in one place when I was first diagnosed.

Wishing you all the best as you explore everything from this new perspective. Diagnosis gives us so many insights and can be so healing.
Diagnosed at age 68, this is 3 years later today.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

GMW73
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Mar 2023, 7:24 pm

Thanks very very. I'll check out Cynthia Kim and have a go at the FB group.

Elders and mentors seem to be what I need most at this stage, the FB group sounds ideal.

quaker
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2023, 2:34 pm

A Painful Gift - The Journey of a Soul with Autism.

kickingdownthedoors
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Mar 2023, 10:22 pm

unmasking autism by devon price; highly recommend!

GMW73
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Mar 2023, 1:13 am

Thanks to all above for the suggestions.

I've tried listening to the audiobook of 'Unmasking Autism' but was completely put off by the author's attitude. I persevered as long as I could but just couldn't get further into it. It seems aimed at a particular audience of which I am not a member.

Raleigh
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2023, 1:49 am

I've just started reading "Autism in Adults and Aging Adults" by Janet Angelo.
Very good.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2023, 11:01 am

note the above mentioned book about adult autism it was authored by Theresa Regan PHD and written with help by Janet Angelo.
It is excellent and Dr Regan's adult autism clinic is one of very few in this country which specializes in adult autism. When I was trying to get diagnosis 3 years ago, I made an appointment and the waiting list for diagnosis at that time was about 3 years. She also has a couple of videos, a website and several podcasts all about adult autism.
There is such a huge demand for information and diagnosis about adult autism.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson