Calgary Autism Organization changes it's name - ND movement

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2023, 2:38 pm

From "Society for Treatment of Autism" to "Society for Autism Support and Services"

As knowledge grows, autism organization evolves in name and support

Quote:
At some point, it became inevitable that the word “Treatment” in our name would no longer be a fit for our evolving agency. Treatment is synonymous with the medical model of disability. We wanted to embrace a social model of disability, supporting what people can do and removing barriers.

I think like Aspergers being subsumed by Autism Spectrum Disorder "Treatments" were
subsumed into "Supports and Services"

While they don't specially mention ABA they do have a "Behavioural Developmental Aide Supports Program". I wonder if that program is ABA treatment under a politically correct name.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2023, 2:48 pm

More orwellian language play including doublespeak. At least the article accepted autism was a neurological disorder

- George Bernie Shaw