Page 1 of 7 [ 106 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2023, 1:56 pm

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2023, 2:38 pm

Didnt watch the video but.... no, I don't think folks in Hollowood actually care about equal rights etc. They're called "limousine liberals" for good reason.

One of the things I see as proof of this is how actress Rachel True was treated in "The Craft". For a movie about four teen girls practicing witchcraft that was praised for being so "progressive" in the way they portrayed the tolkien black girl character named Rochelle, she confessed in multiple interviews about how badly she was treated by the film crew and she explained how what she went through behind the scenes is not uncommon for black actors in showbusiness.

https://www.cbr.com/the-craft-rachel-tr ... promotion/

I guess this is honestly why I can't stand "woke" movies and TV Shows. It's not that I'm against what woke should actually stand for, but what they push for in Hollywood feels so incredibly fake to me... :|

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2023, 3:13 pm

She was a "token" Black.

Not a "Tolkien" Black! :lol:

Which ...raises an interesting question. How many hobbits, elves, dwarves, Orcs, or Hobgoblins, in the Middle Earth were Black?

And if we were to cast any Black actors to play any of the above...would that make said actors ...both "Tolkien Blacks", AND "token Blacks"? :lol:

Last edited by naturalplastic on 08 Mar 2023, 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2023, 3:36 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
She was a "token" Black.

Not a "Tolkien" Black! :lol:

Which ...raises an interesting question. How many hobbits, elves, dwarves, Orcs, or Hobgoblins, in the Middle Earth were Black?

And we were to cast any Black actors to play any of the above...would that make said actors ...both "Tolkien Blacks", AND "token Blacks"? :lol:

Ooops typo. :oops:

Well... didn't they already do that with The Rings of Power? :P

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2023, 3:37 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
One of the things I see as proof of this is how actress Rachel True was treated in "The Craft". For a movie about four teen girls practicing witchcraft that was praised for being so "progressive" in the way they portrayed the tolkien black girl character named Rochelle, she confessed in multiple interviews about how badly she was treated by the film crew and she explained how what she went through behind the scenes is not uncommon for black actors in showbusiness.|

You know that corporate movie moguls play the diversity to access new audiences.It creates outrage in the fandom which creates free publicity reaching the marketplace where left leaning, black, women and LGBTQI people feel compelled to watch it. The fans of course want to see it so they can so they can post on social media how outraged they are.

Even those who use duplicate netflix accounts from friends provide eyes which increases viewership and boost advertising revenue, It all means $$.

In the case of Star wars and the Rings of Power a lot of actors have faced racist backlash from the fans (who we know pull the woke card to attack minorities whom they don't want to see in their virtual world) and realised they were being used as a plot tools.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2023, 3:40 pm

Just to be clear, DeSantis' team defines woke as the belief that there were systemic injustices in the United States; as well as progressive activism.

That's a rather broad definition. :chin:

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2023, 3:41 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Just to be clear, DeSantis' team defines woke as the belief that there were systemic injustices in the United States; as well as progressive activism.

That's a rather broad definition. :chin:

Anti-CRT is code for historic whitewashing

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2023, 3:44 pm

Quote:

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2023, 3:53 pm

I don't know what DeSantis endgame is? making speaking about historic injustice a thought crime?

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2023, 3:56 pm

cyberdad wrote:

In the case of Star wars and the Rings of Power a lot of actors have faced racist backlash from the fans (who we know pull the woke card to attack minorities whom they don't want to see in their virtual world) and realised they were being used as a plot tools.

I think there's also the fact that some people genuinenly just don't like these kinds of movies or shows for reasons that have nothing to do with racism or sexism and they have pretty much been silenced ans told they are racist bigots just for not liking Star Wars or Rings of Power.

It's not just white people who feel that way, I have had a few interesting and insightful conversations with people of color on quora who explained that they're tired of "blackwashing" which to them is just as racist as whitewashing. They're tired of seeing black actors cast as historic figures whom everyone knows were white like Anne Boleyn for example, they would honestly rather see movies and shows that focus on their own proud culture. Like Black Panther for example which had some inspiration from real life Aftican culture like the all-female warrior women who were based off the real life all-female warriors who guarded the king of Dahomey (an African kingdom that later was conquered by French colonists and became known as Benin)

People of color want to see movies and TV shows based on THEIR history and culture, and I do understand and respect that because it has been ignored for far too long by the media.

Dengashinobi
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2023, 4:19 pm

They are butchering every possible franchise or classic remake. I don't know were they get their funding because they have alianated every fan base. Personally I will never forgive them for what they did to Tolkien's work. Also the artwork is increasingly sh***y. The Hollywood is facing it's last days.

There is also one more thing. As a non American, to me this Intersectionality push is just another form of American cultural imperialism. We are not seeing American action heroes saving the world waving an American flag anymore but we are seeing american sensibilities and virtue signaling. We have to see beloved classics remade with main caracters made black because America feels the need to redeem for having enslaved a significant portion of its population in the past. The rest of the world who hasn't done that has to whatch those movies although we have no guilt because we enslaved no-one.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2023, 4:33 pm

Dengashinobi wrote:
They are butchering every possible franchise or classic remake. I don't know were they get their funding because they have alianated every fan base. Personally I will never forgive them for what they did to Tolkien's work. Also the artwork is increasingly sh***y. The Hollywood is facing it's last days.

I don't understand what their real end game is either. It sure as hell has nothing to do with actual social justice.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2023, 4:41 pm

I think a lot of them are Scientologists.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2023, 4:48 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:

I also think Hollywood's selling itself out to the CCP may have something to do with all this too.

https://www.theatlantic.com/culture/arc ... na/620021/

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2023, 6:01 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

I also think Hollywood's selling itself out to the CCP may have something to do with all this too.

For some time now Hollywood has been catering to the Chinese audience- for the export dollars from that big population of consumers. You can see it odd ways in big action films.

Like in the movie adaption of the game "Battleship" the US Navy guys team up with PPR Chinese navy guys in the common cause to defeat that big space alien water thing that attacks earth. And the Chinese guy gets to do clever stuff to help our guys hack into the alien computer, or ...something. Anyway I thought it was a nice idealistic touch- showing earthlings from mutually hostile nations can unite against a common enemy, and that it was generous of Hollywood to let the Chinese guy shine. Now I realize that it was probably just pandering to the Chinese audience for money, or pandering to the Chinese regime to allow export. One or the other crass reason. Oh well!

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2023, 6:26 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

For some time now Hollywood has been catering to the Chinese audience- for the export dollars from that big population of consumers. You can see it odd ways in big action films.

Like in the movie adaption of the game "Battleship" the US Navy guys team up with PPR Chinese navy guys in the common cause to defeat that big space alien water thing that attacks earth. And the Chinese guy gets to do clever stuff to help our guys hack into the alien computer, or ...something. Anyway I thought it was a nice idealistic touch- showing earthlings from mutually hostile nations can unite against a common enemy, and that it was generous of Hollywood to let the Chinese guy shine. Now I realize that it was probably just pandering to the Chinese audience for money, or pandering to the Chinese regime to allow export. One or the other crass reason. Oh well!

Well they've done more sinister things than that from what I heard. I think it was in "Guardians of thr Galaxy" that a certain character who was meant to be Tibetan had their nationality changed and they were portrayed by a white actor at the CCP's request.

I'm sure I could find detailed information explaining what they did but I'm cooking supper right now and will have to search later. Basically Hollowood has been quietly censoring mentions of anything related to Tibet or Xinjiang or Taiwan to appease the CCP.