Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2023, 6:36 pm

ABC News

Quote:
Several people have been killed in a shooting at a Jehovah's Witness centre in Hamburg, with the gunman believed to be among the dead, German police said Thursday. Police have not given a death count, but multiple local media outlets reported that the shooting had left seven dead and eight seriously injured.

"At the moment there is no reliable information on the motive of the crime," police said, urging people not to speculate.

The alarm for "extreme danger" in the area had been sounded using a catastrophe warning app, and police urged residents to stay indoors.

In the non-descript, three-storey building, police said an event had been taking place on Thursday evening.

Jehovah's Witnesses had gathered for a weekly Bible study meeting, according to local daily Hamburger Abendblatt.

There are about 175,000 people in Germany, including 3,800 in Hamburg, who are Jehovah's Witnesses, a US Christian movement set up in the late 19th century that preaches non-violence and is known for door-to-door evangelism.

The first officers at the scene found several lifeless bodies and seriously wounded people, police said.

Hamburger Abendblatt reported that 17 unhurt people, who had been at the event, were being attended to by the fire brigade.

Germany has been rocked by several attacks in recent years, both by jihadists and far-right extremists.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2023, 3:24 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
ABC News
Quote:
Several people have been killed in a shooting at a Jehovah's Witness centre in Hamburg, with the gunman believed to be among the dead, German police said Thursday. Police have not given a death count, but multiple local media outlets reported that the shooting had left seven dead and eight seriously injured.

"At the moment there is no reliable information on the motive of the crime," police said, urging people not to speculate.

The alarm for "extreme danger" in the area had been sounded using a catastrophe warning app, and police urged residents to stay indoors.

In the non-descript, three-storey building, police said an event had been taking place on Thursday evening.

Jehovah's Witnesses had gathered for a weekly Bible study meeting, according to local daily Hamburger Abendblatt.

There are about 175,000 people in Germany, including 3,800 in Hamburg, who are Jehovah's Witnesses, a US Christian movement set up in the late 19th century that preaches non-violence and is known for door-to-door evangelism.

The first officers at the scene found several lifeless bodies and seriously wounded people, police said.

Hamburger Abendblatt reported that 17 unhurt people, who had been at the event, were being attended to by the fire brigade.

Germany has been rocked by several attacks in recent years, both by jihadists and far-right extremists.

I imagine it would be harder for a JW to survive a serious shooting given the fact that they dont allow blood transfusions.My heart goes out to that Kingdom Hall and the JWs and the people in Germany.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2023, 10:37 am

6 killed in shooting at Hamburg, Germany, Jehovah's Witness hall, including an unborn child, police say

Quote:
A gunman killed six people Thursday night at a Jehovah's Witnesses hall in the German city of Hamburg before apparently turning his gun on himself. The shooter was identified as a former member of the congregation, police said Friday. Four men, one woman and an unborn child were killed. Police initially said Friday that a pregnant woman had died in the attack, but they later confirmed she was among eight people wounded. Her 7-month-old fetus died.

Police identified the gunman on Friday as unmarried former church member Phillip F., and said there was no indication of a terrorist motive. They said he left the church community about 18 months ago, "but apparently not on good terms."

Police had told CBS News previously that the shooter was inside the building the entire time and there was no manhunt at any point. When officers arrived, the shooter had already died by suicide.

The police did not give any indication of a suspected motive as they briefed journalists Friday morning about the shooting that stunned Germany's second-biggest city.

Police confirmed Friday that the gunman used a semi-automatic pistol that he was licensed to own. They said there was an anonymous letter sent to the police force several years ago claiming the suspect was mentally unstable and had shown animosity for religious followers, and that a review of his firearms licensing was carried out.

They said when questioned, Phillip F. was cooperative and gave no indication of any mental health problems, so they closed the case. He was a sports marksman.

There is a long and strict process in Germany to obtain a permit for a handgun.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman