Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2007, 3:21 pm

I think that quite a bit of empathy is an act. Many people act more empathetic than they actually are to feel good about themselves and/or to impress others with it.

That doesn't mean that genuine empathy doesn't exist, however.

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

18 Aug 2007, 4:16 pm

kiki3 wrote:

Quote:
Oh, how terrible for you! I'm so sorry! I hope you didn't think that I meant people shouldn't be pouring sympathy out to others in situations such as yours or any type of tragedy. I'm sure that was a great comfort for you and your family.

Maybe I didn't express myself properly. It's just the hypocrisy of people who treat others badly in every day life, yet turn around and around cry about something they see on the news that bothers me.

I think I did misunderstand you at first. I understand the kind of hypocrisy you're talking about and have witnessed it myself. It disturbs me too.

Thank you for your expression of sympathy.

cosmiccat

AussieBoy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2007, 7:38 pm

Ana54 wrote:
Yes; celebrate your life and the lives of others! Let's not get offended, but celebrate the fact ath we're together! Let's not get angry, but celebrate the fact that we're planning on building a commune. Let's not get disgusted, but celebrate the fact that we'll have our own personal space!
\

I agree!! !

Ana54
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2008, 2:58 pm

I know exactly how the starter of this topic feels, btw. I get a bit jealous, actually, when there's a disaster and all the attention is on the people it happened to. I'm like, "Helloooo, depression is the real disaster, and I'm going through that right now!"

I think they focus on those disasters because they're fun, like a game, "Who can survive this? How did they do it? How easy was it for them?" Nice and cheerful. That's why I like disasters, anyway.

Last edited by Ana54 on 12 Jan 2008, 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

bheid
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Jan 2008, 6:43 am

the dead are glorified. a man becomes better when he dies, apparently.