Please help me understand what just happened

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

NT_AFAIK
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Mar 2023, 2:11 am

TLDR: I texted him a meme and he (ASD) asked me (NT) if I wanted to be friends (with privacy), and I basically said, I don't know but that he's getting the privacy that he wants right now. I also said I just want to break the cycle of us getting close then he withdraws, and me getting shut out, I just don't know how. Then he blocked me on everything 8O I don't understand why and what just happened.

For context:
We dated and broke up about a year ago, became friends up until.. I guess today. (he dumped me) After the breakup, the interaction basically continued -- we traveled a lot, he got surgery, I took care of him, spent time together every week, pet names, pretty much back to normal minus the sexual interaction.

He had a big meltdown over 3 weeks ago and didn't talk to me for I think about a week after. I don't know what was going on with him at that time, if he was still recovering, if he was just busy but he did ask for quiet time when I reached out to him at some point which I respected so I gave him space. About 2 weeks after the meltdown, we talked and he was being very secretive about what was going on with him for some reason which (was triggering to me somehow and) led to the conversation of me bringing up what we have been doing in the past year ("do you see a future between us and are you dating") which I also posted about. Ultimately, he said he's happy with the status quo (but he needs privacy, not needing to explain things to me) and to reach out whenever I'm ready to be friends again (via email). I told him we're not on the same page (as he's essentially getting some sort of a "gf experience" in my opinion) and status quo wasn't going to work for me anymore, but he's adamant that that's what's going to work for him. So we left it at that and didn't talk.

That was 2 weeks ago. We've talked on the phone twice since then (which I initiated) and the last one was Sunday (no texts, no other interactions). He was still calling me pet names in that phone call and didn't even want to put the phone down. We didn't talk about the intense discussion that we had via email. Today, 4 days later, I texted him a meme and then he asked me what my thoughts were about wanting to be friends (but with privacy). I responded, and basically told him that I don't know, but that he's getting his privacy right now (we're not talking much nor hanging out), it doesn't matter if we are friends right now or not since he has friends, family, he's dating (which he refuses to confirm, but I assumed that's why he's being secretive) and that we just need to break the cycle of us getting close then him withdrawing, and me getting shut out. I just don't know how.

....and then he blocked me on everything after that. He said this is not a healthy discussion between two friends. I don't understand what just happened.. I just answered his question. Could he possibly be in burnout/still in recovery weeks after a big meltdown, and I caught him at a bad time? Is this because of him needing to control the situation and just didn't want to deal with me or compromise? Why would someone block me on everything including LinkedIn when I just answered his question I don't understand.

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2023, 8:03 am

Does he ever initiate any conversation? Is it always you?

You are investing a lot of time and psychic energy in someone who doesn't seem worth it.