Is DeSantis building a private army?

Page 3 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2023, 7:33 pm

Something like 22 states already have banned books from school libraries.

It isn’t like DeSantis is just protecting some little kids, he is cutting out major modern topics from colleges and universities, has restructured one state university, led the charge to make all abortion illegal, and google if you want more examples.

I read science fiction in the 60s that predicted some of these actions as the beginnings of dictatorships. We would be foolish, if we valued our freedom, to ignore or dismiss his actions.

Personally, I see Abbott as dangerous but dumb. DeSantis is extremely intelligent and dangerous. That makes him worse.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 9:11 am

Bombastic, the whole thread.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 10:23 am

blazingstar wrote:

It isn’t like DeSantis is just protecting some little kids, he is cutting out major modern topics from colleges and universities, has restructured one state university, led the charge to make all abortion illegal, and google if you want more examples.

I read science fiction in the 60s that predicted some of these actions as the beginnings of dictatorships. We would be foolish, if we valued our freedom, to ignore or dismiss his actions.

Personally, I see Abbott as dangerous but dumb. DeSantis is extremely intelligent and dangerous. That makes him worse.

And they're not the only ones, their states' large populations are why they can inflict a lot of hardship. The most extreme governor is probably either Brad Little of Idaho or Kay Ivey of Alabama.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 2:23 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
blazingstar wrote:

And they're not the only ones, their states' large populations are why they can inflict a lot of hardship. The most extreme governor is probably either Brad Little of Idaho or Kay Ivey of Alabama.

I've heard Idaho is bad, now that you mention it. They are trying to prohibit the use of any of the modern mRNA vaccines. Having government get involved in health care is scary. Government does not belong between me and my doctor.

Don't know much about Alabama. It's just Idaho and Alabama don't strike me as having a big impact on national politics. But I could be wrong about that.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 2:26 pm

My state is screwed.
We have the wrong Sanders in power.
I can just hear us circling the drain.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 2:47 pm

"Better dead than red" is taking a whole new meaning here in the US these days...

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 3:29 pm

blazingstar wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
blazingstar wrote:

I've heard Idaho is bad, now that you mention it. They are trying to prohibit the use of any of the modern mRNA vaccines. Having government get involved in health care is scary. Government does not belong between me and my doctor.

Don't know much about Alabama. It's just Idaho and Alabama don't strike me as having a big impact on national politics. But I could be wrong about that.

They have some of the strictest laws against both marijuana and abortion. In Alabama, possession of even a small amount of marijuana is punishable by 25 years in prison on first offense, and that's if you're white. If you're not white, you will probably spend the rest of your life there.

As for Idaho, Gov. Little said "if they wanted it legalized, they elected the wrong governor," The problem: Idaho is second only to Wyoming for most conservative state. A Democrat has no chance, the GOP candidate for governor wins by huge margins. The last Democrat to serve as governor, Cecil Andrus, left office in 1995.

The consolation is that in AL, Gov. Ivey is term-limited in 2026. So is DeSatan, assuming he doesn't get the presidential nomination.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2023, 4:06 pm

Persephone29 wrote:
^ and do what? He hasn't declared war on anything. And it's not like citizens wouldn't answer his call if he did. What exactly is the concern? Is someone within the continental US threatening Florida? If not, what's to fight?

It's against the law to have a private army.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2023, 4:09 pm

blazingstar wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
blazingstar wrote:

Idaho Republican politics has become hijacked by QAnons, white nationalists, and Alt-Righters. I live practically just across the state line from them, here in Washington!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2023, 4:14 pm

Persephone29 wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:
I'm really worried about what this means for Florida. He sounds like he's trying to become a dictator of his state rather than a governor.

I think your fears are unfounded. Desantis simply wants a childhood for children enrolled in Florida Schools. He's not saying that parents can't teach their children anything they wish them to know, check out from public libraries or buy books from book stores. All those things are widely available, in a Dictatorship they wouldn't be (like North Korea, who controls the national reading material, what can be viewed, and the light in which Kim Jong Un can be viewed in). You're allowed to read the books, they just aren't available in the public school system. You're allowed to criticize Desantis, in a dictatorship you wouldn't be. I can't believe you don't know the difference ( you do, you just want the attention drama brings).

Our job is to teach them reading, writing, maths, sciences, history and the like. Our job is not to teach them who to hate, all the different genders, somebody done somebody wrong songs, and the like. If their parents want to, that's their prerogative.

As a matter of fact, DeSatan wants to prosecute parents for taking their children to drag shows. And as far is school is concerned, he's been removing historical reference to slavery or racism, allegedly because white kids would be made to feel uncomfortable. The fact that he refuses to condemn Neo-Nazis and other white nationalists terrorist groups proclaims his real reasons for taking this course of action.

longshot
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2023, 9:04 am

DeSatan as I refer to him as, want to be a little dictator in a manner of speaking, as he has passed a great deal of legislation banning all sorts of things, be it books on anything pertaining to something other than heterosexuality to criminalizing bloggers who criticize him of members of his cabinet to, voter suppression/gerrymandering/ etc to make sure that that Republicans in this state remain in power for decades to come.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2023, 9:32 am

So this idea about not making information available to youthful persons. About sexuality and gender .
If this is so .... would it " Not" makes more sense to eliminate the overt exposure of violence to more youthful individuals first whilst still impressionable. But i do agree that our children will be eventually exposed to it and more as their lives progress... anyway. But if you are going to force these images of repeated gawd aweful violence, with the excuse of doing it as a form of entertainment , then equally they should be exposed to all things human.
But the way the entertainment industry goes they will be exposed to it all anyway . Besides many peeps already consider DeSantis a bit of a nutter already . :|

where ever you go ,there you are