Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2023, 3:42 pm

There are Autistic folks with physical impairments more or less (me-mild)
There are Autistic folks with sensitivities (me-moderate) more or less
There are Autistic folks with speech impairments more or less (me-mild)
There are Autistic folks with cognitive impairments more or less (me-mild)
There are Autistic folks with processing delays (me-moderate) more or less
etc. on all types of scales and more or less. Perhaps one could find groupings...

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2023, 5:46 pm

skibum wrote:
MaxE wrote:
DanielW wrote:
I'm not sure I understand your point, but from what I can tell you are making a rather large over-simplification. There are 3 asd levels, but they are not based on anything linear. A person can be a level 1 or a 3 and still not have any issues with sensory processing at all.

This is not about levels. Levels, as I understand them, correlate with degree of support needed e.g. Level 1 means little or no support vs Level 3 at the most extreme level requires round-the-clock caregiving. I happen to also think there need to be more such levels defined as there is too much variation within a given level.

My point is about personal experience, with respect to which there is a huge difference between that of people with severe sensory processing dysfunction and those with very little if any, and such people tend to talk right past each other on a site like this.
Oh, ok, I see what you mean now. I totally agree that levels need to be redefined. They are too simple for the variances in severity types.

I now understand what you were saying. But I think you said it incorrectly, that is why I misunderstood. What I understand now that you were talking about were the differences in Sensory Processing Disorder, not Autism as a whole. Sensory Processing Disorder is its own diagnosis and can exist outside of Autism. It was recently added to the Autism diagnostic criteria as one of the symptoms to look for in the Autism diagnosis but it does not have to be there. This is where I got confused. I think you meant to say that there are two basic camps of people as far as Sensory Processing Disorder goes.

So in real life it seems people on with ASD often talk about their experience in terms of Sensory Processing Disorder, which to me suggests that they don't see a distinction between ASD and SPD. I'll admit I wasn't aware that SPD should be viewed separately, or how when you consider an autistic person with SPD you can address their "autistic" symptoms separately from symptoms due to SPD. I would honestly like to understand better.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2023, 7:49 pm

MaxE wrote:
skibum wrote:
MaxE wrote:
DanielW wrote:
I'm not sure I understand your point, but from what I can tell you are making a rather large over-simplification. There are 3 asd levels, but they are not based on anything linear. A person can be a level 1 or a 3 and still not have any issues with sensory processing at all.

This is not about levels. Levels, as I understand them, correlate with degree of support needed e.g. Level 1 means little or no support vs Level 3 at the most extreme level requires round-the-clock caregiving. I happen to also think there need to be more such levels defined as there is too much variation within a given level.

My point is about personal experience, with respect to which there is a huge difference between that of people with severe sensory processing dysfunction and those with very little if any, and such people tend to talk right past each other on a site like this.
Oh, ok, I see what you mean now. I totally agree that levels need to be redefined. They are too simple for the variances in severity types.

I now understand what you were saying. But I think you said it incorrectly, that is why I misunderstood. What I understand now that you were talking about were the differences in Sensory Processing Disorder, not Autism as a whole. Sensory Processing Disorder is its own diagnosis and can exist outside of Autism. It was recently added to the Autism diagnostic criteria as one of the symptoms to look for in the Autism diagnosis but it does not have to be there. This is where I got confused. I think you meant to say that there are two basic camps of people as far as Sensory Processing Disorder goes.

So in real life it seems people on with ASD often talk about their experience in terms of Sensory Processing Disorder, which to me suggests that they don't see a distinction between ASD and SPD. I'll admit I wasn't aware that SPD should be viewed separately, or how when you consider an autistic person with SPD you can address their "autistic" symptoms separately from symptoms due to SPD. I would honestly like to understand better.
Yes, SPD is a completely separate diagnosis. If is very often found in Autistic people and so it has been added to the Autism diagnostic testing. The reason that people tend to think about it being synonymous with Autism is because it is so common in Autism and because it is one of those things that affects our lives in a way that is extremely visible to other people. It is probably the symptom that is the most visibly recognized. SPD can also affect us in very severe ways. So many people mistakenly think that SPD IS Autism. But it's not, it's separate. It's just that the majority of Autistic people also have SPD.

It's like when people automatically assume that anxiety and depression are part of Autism. They are not. It's just that a lot of Autistic people have those issues as well. I even had an ER doctor tell me that because I am Autistic, I automatically have anxiety disorder. I told him to stick that diagnosis where the sun don't shine. I don't have anxiety disorder just BECAUSE I am Autistic. So it's kind of like that. A lot of people erroneously think that things that are not Autism are and that is dangerous because I have had people tell me that I am not Autistic because I am not diagnosed with clinical depression or anxiety disorder. That is completely ridiculous but that is what can happen when people don't understand what these conditions actually are and are not.

Wreck It Ralph

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2023, 8:14 pm

I'm one of those "with full blown autism who passed for aspergers".

Most of my issues goes back with executive dysfunction.
Though I don't know how much of executive dysfunction is actually AS or something else.

But definitely a something else interacting with AS.

I seem to get a bit worse in some ways even if I'm progressing.
But AS is not accumulative.
AS do change, yes, but something else is being stubborn. It's only change feels like a form of degeneration -- which seem like aging.

It doesn't feel like burnout or regression or something similar. It doesn't affect my tolerance and threshold -- if it does, it takes both for me to be visibly more affected
But I can feel the contrast. It is not triggered by any change.

It's too linear, too consistent in the background.
And when it disappears, I became a very functional autistic. 'It' no longer interacts with AS.
And AS became several times 'lighter' to a point that it's a full blown advantage.

I'm not 30 yet, I don't have that type of 'excuse'. Unless it's an undiagnosed issue or a chronically unaddressed deficiency.

I am coping with autism, but something else is dragging me down.
That is the part where autism is no longer the explanation of it. I'm not coping well with whatever this something else is except tolerate it the whole damn time.

So...

I have bigger issues than AS, even if AS very much touches my core -- something subtle, something systematic, likely physical, is currently heavier than whatever's currently visible for me.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 9:40 pm

I have never really had the sensitivity issues, except for hyposensitivity to smells, but that could be because I have rather bad allergies and a grossly deviated septum, so maybe those things explain why I can't smell very well, and even when I can, smells don't really bother me much, at least not as much as they bother NT family members I have.

I mainly am affected in the social area, lacking great social skills, not being able to read non-verbal cues, and also I get obsessive. I can get an idea in my head and think about it constantly for days on end. I don't really show the OCD types of obsessions, though.

I am sure that there are other Aspies with this type of symptoms. Luckily I am high functioning in society overall.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 9:59 pm

I have always had more mild sensory issues. I remember as a child not being able to look up at the sky because it was too bright, I'd walk around with my eyes on the grass instead. I don't remember being significantly bothered by sensory stuff until more recent years actually, but it was a long time ago so I can't say for certain.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD