Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2023, 1:03 pm

I've had an idea for a non-profit org for handful of years now. The best way to make it work is via a website that's as automated as possible. Custom coding something would be prohibitively expensive. I recently described the concept to a programmer I know and he suggested that it Could be made with WordPress plugins since there are so many now that would be able to handle ~much of the functionality I'd want to have automated. He also suggested that for a start this idea could be a student team project or something like that - something I could approach a local college/university class with and get off the ground here maybe.

I have no idea how to do any of this stuff nor any idea how long it would take to learn how to do it nor the interest/desire in learning how to do it tbh. But if I could get this concept off the ground it'd be super neat to see it go from idea to reality. As for the idea itself, the universal response I get from people in person is something along the lines of "We need this!" (literally a quote from a retired Architect named Peter) or "This could work.." or "People would pay." etc. So, I'm pretty confident in the general concept being something that will be reasonably well received vs. a waste of time/money/energy and a total flop.

Floating the idea here in case there's someone keen on collaborating with me on getting something going. I have no idea how much time/cost there would be to getting a site going with the features & functionality I envision. I'd have to write up a description of those things for someone to read (perhaps under NDA) and give me an idea of whether it's doable via WordPress plugins and how much time/effort it would take to create. Bottom line would be that I'd want to know how long it would take and how much it would cost -> it might be too expensive for me to consider at this time, Or, maybe I'll learn that I can afford to get something like this started, turn it loose on the internet, and if it's successful enough it'll generate enough money to maintain/improve itself as being a non-profit doesn't mean $0 can ever accumulate; it just means that $ retained is spent on the organization vs. retained as profits. (With the general idea being that as much $ as possible goes towards the good cause this whole project would be about.)

There's also the possibility that this creates a job or two+ if the site got really busy and some things require human input. Might create some desk jobs that involve emails/payments/accounting, might create an ongoing role for someone to maintain the functionality of the site/improve it/further automate it etc. That sort of thing.

And maybe there's nothing but crickets here because no one with this skill set on this forum has any interest in collaborating with me in any capacity. That's okay, too. But figured I'd put it out here first and foremost since the idea was inspired by a post I read on WP years ago, AND because there are a bunch of techy computer types that post on here that seem to be unemployed or underemployed, so, if I can create an interesting project that earns someone some pay to get started for me and possibly creates an ongoing source of income for them should this fly vs. flop, then working remotely with someone here might be the right move to make. Otherwise I'll reach out locally and maybe find someone within driving distance that I can speak with in person. Then of course there would be other work to learn and do - like registering either a charity or non-profit, which a local who has experience with both has offered to share his expertise on in order to determine which and navigate the red tape etc.

Blah blah blah - how much do WordPress experts cost? :?

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2023, 4:58 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
I've had an idea for a non-profit org for handful of years now.

What kind of nonprofit org, if you don't mind sharing?

(I just now posted a link to this thread in the "unscheduled chats" area of my Autistic Techies group.)

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2023, 6:08 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
I've had an idea for a non-profit org for handful of years now.

What kind of nonprofit org, if you don't mind sharing?

(I just now posted a link to this thread in the "unscheduled chats" area of my Autistic Techies group.)

The kind that does one small simple thing over and over again with donors’ money that the compound effect is potentially world changing while giving those involved, financial contributors and other stakeholders, warm fuzzy feelings for being a part of something Good.

I know I’m being vague. I’ve shared the concept with several people in person but I don’t really want to publish it on the internet for someone else to potentially execute - especially if they might pervert it for profit and not have it do what it’s intended to with all funds except what’s required to built/maintain & improve a website and the functionality of the organization.