Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2023, 12:46 pm

I joined a few weeks or more ago, but I've been exploring the possibility of level 1 autism. I've asked my mom a lot of questions about when I was a baby or young child and a lot of stuff seems to add up. I have also talked to my mental health professionals, but for a few reasons don't really want to get an official diagnosis. Maybe an assessment if I can ever afford it.

I have always since early teens felt like a stranger in social situations. Not necessarily as if I'm an alien or different, just very socially clunky and awkward. I have learned to adapt somewhat over the years, I'm not sure if the awkwardness is noticeable anymore. As a kid I didn't know any strangers and would walk up to people and start monologuing about my interests. I don't think I felt socially awkward then, but I did have a lot of behaviors that caused problems with peers. By the time I reached 13 or 14 I didn't know how to interact with others my age and tended to play primarily with younger kids.

I am formally diagnosed with ADHD.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2023, 12:55 pm

Think , i might be suspicious of the possibility of ASD diagnosis aswell based on what you wrote .
And Welcome to WP too....!

where ever you go ,there you are

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2023, 12:56 pm

Welcome to WP.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2023, 2:46 pm

Welcome!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2023, 4:35 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2023, 7:40 pm

Welcome to WP! I think you could fit in here...if you choose to (I hope you do).

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2023, 6:57 am

welcome! This group is great for giving feedback to "is this autism" sort of questions and for suggestions to solve autism related struggles (how to do things easier or better with things like emotional overload, overstimulation, etc) use the search feature to find previous discussions about almost every topic. Glad you are with us!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2023, 11:54 am

colliegrace, this is an interesting thread.

You wrote, I have always since early teens felt like a stranger in social situations.

I am going to recommend a very interesting book for you to read. The book is titled "Whole Brain Living" by Jill Bolte Taylor.

Humans are much more complex than any creature that have ever existed on this planet and perhaps the entire world. The reason is that we have multiple brains. These brains are very different. The dominant brain is on the left side of the skull. The secondary brain exist on the right side. It is our sleep brain. In my case, I suffered a severe accident at around age 3 or 4 and my dominant brain died. (I was attacked by a large bull that weighed over 1000 pounds and I weighted less than 20 pounds. It was like being attacked by a dinosaur.) My secondary brain came back from its sleep state and I came back to life. It was a simple brain flip. Eventually my left side brain recovered and then became my sleep brain.

So what I describe may sound crazy. But we live in a very crazy world.

longshot
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2023, 9:42 am

Welcome to wrong planet--
colliegrace