what is it like to be sensory seeking?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2023, 1:06 pm

I definitely have some sensory issues and can get overloaded in some situations, depending on a lot of factors. I most often get sensory issues at work, especially when tired or during times of the year where it's extra busy such as holidays. Also seems to depend on my anxiety levels. (I have an anxiety disorder.)

But I'm not sure what being sensory seeking is like? Some google searches sound a bit like stuff I can relate to (stimming a lot, for instance), but it seems vague.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2023, 1:19 pm

Everything is too slow all of the time.

It's rare to find enough stimulation to maintain focus, but when it happens that source becomes an obsession.

Overload is almost your preferred state for operations, it's difficult to remain adequately focused unless you're in that state.

You don't typically flinch from vivid colours, loud sounds or other sources of over-stimulation.

You might find grindcore to be surprisingly accessible. :mrgreen:

Basically, your ideal operating range is where the average person starts to struggle with over-stimulation.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2023, 1:26 pm

I'm hyposensitive in a few areas - particularly touch with my hands. My hands have to be moving and touching something / anything, even my own skin. I touch my face a lot, and twist my fingers together so I can rub my hands. I usually have bare feet so I stroke my feet (double sensation). I play with my hair so my hands can feel it. I feel for stubble anywhere. I play with the hem of my clothes and I have a piece of satin known as "Tickle" from when I was a baby, which I've tickled my hands and face with literally thousands of times a day since I was a toddler. If I don't have it near me it's like I don't have oxygen, or I'm in a straightjacket. I can't wear gloves at all whether rubber gloves or winter gloves, because it stops my ability to feel things (particularly myself lol), with the skin on my hands. Gloves are pure torture from sensory deprivation. I can't touch water for the same reason, because it mutes my touch sensation.

Weirdly enough I'm also touch-aversive to some things. I will not touch bumps on people or animals, like when someone has an injury. I don't even like touching other people because I can't feel the sensation they receive.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2023, 1:37 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I can't wear gloves at all whether rubber gloves or winter gloves, because it stops my ability to feel things (particularly myself lol), with the skin on my hands. Gloves are pure torture from sensory deprivation.

Any time I've had a job where safety gloves are mandatory I'm constantly taking them off and on.

If I've learned a task while wearing gloves, I struggle to do it with bare-hands. If I learned a task with bare-hands I don't want to have to relearn it with gloves.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2023, 1:43 pm

I love learning about this as I am often the opposite

Wreck It Ralph

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2023, 1:47 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I'm hyposensitive in a few areas - particularly touch with my hands. My hands have to be moving and touching something / anything, even my own skin. I touch my face a lot, and twist my fingers together so I can rub my hands. I usually have bare feet so I stroke my feet (double sensation). I play with my hair so my hands can feel it. I feel for stubble anywhere. I play with the hem of my clothes and I have a piece of satin known as "Tickle" from when I was a baby, which I've tickled my hands and face with literally thousands of times a day since I was a toddler. If I don't have it near me it's like I don't have oxygen, or I'm in a straightjacket. I can't wear gloves at all whether rubber gloves or winter gloves, because it stops my ability to feel things (particularly myself lol), with the skin on my hands. Gloves are pure torture from sensory deprivation. I can't touch water for the same reason, because it mutes my touch sensation.

Weirdly enough I'm also touch-aversive to some things. I will not touch bumps on people or animals, like when someone has an injury. I don't even like touching other people because I can't feel the sensation they receive.

Ah. I definitely don't think I'm sensory seeking then

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2023, 1:50 pm

i poke my belly button as a sort of stim when im at home

when im out i usually stretch my fingers alot like when im at work

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2023, 1:54 pm

I stim a ton. I may play my belly like a drum, hit myself in the side (not in a self harm way), make noises with my mouth, flap hands or arms while walking, tap fingers in various ways, etc. I do this a lot at work when there are no or few customers, especially in the evenings when things are slowing down.
Also have a ton of fidget toys.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2023, 2:49 pm

skibum wrote:
I love learning about this as I am often the opposite

I'm hypersensitive to sound, smell, electric light, sunlight, clothing textures on any part of my body, and a bunch of other things. For sound I'm normally not bad with really loud things, at least no worse than most people. My problem is repetitive sounds like beeps or squeaks, voices talking, footsteps, cutlery clanging, etc. I can't even do TV or radio without wanting to die. Music has to be on / off at my discretion. If it's too quiet and my brain tries to strain for it I get very agitated because of misophonia. I can't strain for a sound and think about other things at the same time.

Another hypo is taste. Everything needs to be spicy af or I don't want it. I can't even distinguish flavours unless they're very spicy or sometimes very salty. Sweet does nothing for me. Carbs, bread, bland food is disgusting because all I notice is the texture, which makes me feel sick.

Niktereuto
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Mar 2023, 5:10 pm

When I was a kid, I was super hyposensible.

In the touch aspect, I used to touch all the surfaces and I needed to always have something in my hand. My family used to call me «Manitas» (Little Hands) because of that, and when I was in a new place, I used to go to touch all I saw.
In the auditive aspect, I used to listen to the tv or music at a really loud volume. I remember I placed my ears directly to the speakers. Or echolalia as an auditive stimming.
Also, I did other stims, like spinning and rocking back and forth.

Nowadays, as a young adult, I think I don't stimm more. I think I quit stimming when I started college. Also, I'm not hyposensible, and sometimes I feel hypersensitive in my ears when I feel stressed.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2023, 7:32 pm

It is like stimming.

And you sense them until you feel raw... Or never mind that, just keep doing it. Sometimes it's an obsession in itself.

Unfortunately, I'm not very predictable.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.