working in a grocery store as someone who is probs autistic

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2023, 1:40 pm

So I work in a grocery store. My biggest issues are sensory-related. I had to ask to be able to wear noise reduction earplugs as an accommodation. When I get overloaded I get very irritable and have a hard time dealing with customers without wanting to bite their heads off. Sometimes people will tell me I'm in a bad mood even when I thought I was hiding it fairly well. Other customers who are familiar with me will ask me what's wrong.

Other than times of sensory overload, I actually do alright with customers. I'm overly passive, and that's how I've adapted to my lack of social skills. I think I have learned some extra masking skills from working there, it's been about 4 years now. Some people tell me I'm their favorite cashier, and I was promoted last year to work at the customer service desk.
Being super passive, though, is not so great if I need to be firm with customers. The other day someone was trying to return high value items without a receipt. I knew it was fishy, but I started the refund process. But I began to think better of it and went and asked a coworker. I also asked my boss, who basically said, what do you think, it should be obvious. Anyways, my boss came over and told the man we can't take the items back for a refund unless he presents a receipt.

Anyone else work in customer service/retail? What are your experiences?

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2023, 3:48 pm

I volunteered in a cafe for a few months,it was enjoyable.
We didn't have those issues with refunds.

It also wasn't very busy,so that helped.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2023, 7:57 pm

klanka wrote:
It also wasn't very busy,so that helped.

Yes, I think I might have more frequent issues if my store was larger and more busy. It's a small grocery store, and most of our customers are residents who don't want to go all to way to the next city to shop.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 2:32 pm

My suggestion would be the consider the store not the store you work at or the employer's store, but your store. Treat its merchandise as if it were yours to sell, because in truth of fact it is. Take responsibility, take ownership of the store's goods.

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 5:01 pm

I was thinking of becoming a cashier but had thoughts that I might get sick of it after an hour or two and then get in that state where I don't want to deal with anyone.
I'm still going to try to get the job, but I might be ok.

pastelanxiety
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Mar 2023, 2:22 am

I worked in a supermarket service deli for 11 years and although I enjoyed it most of the time, it definitely came with its challenges. Sensory overload was a big issue (bright lights, surrounded by loud machinery all day, handling food/textures, smells, customers, music) and all of this would exhaust me and cause me to become irritable very easily, however I also had to learn very quickly to not show this to customers and colleagues. Because of this my masking skills became very well honed. I no longer work in that industry, but I do not have any regrets.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2023, 6:18 pm

I'm currently on lunch at a grocery store. It really depends on the department. I'm assistant manager of the bakery at a national chain and I'd be able to wear ear plugs if I wanted to, but most of the time it's just the pa that make a bunch of noise. And I regularly have to go into the nice quiet freezer.

Meat and seafood also seems to be pretty autism/introvert friendly.