Do you prefer the company of other autistic people?

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2023, 5:26 am

SharonB wrote:
When I want someone who "gets" me - yes. When I want someone who gets something done - no. :D

My ASD BFF helps me feel seen.
My NT husband helps me get things done.

:mrgreen:

CinderashAutomaton
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

17 Mar 2023, 3:57 pm

No. I've enjoyed the company of some, but not to the exclusion of all else. Also, too small a sample size.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2023, 10:34 pm

I think it can be refreshing to be around other autistic people. I feel like those are my main friends who want to do the kind of activities that make for actual good memories later. At this age, most NT friends of mine just want to get together to eat or drink or drink or eat, maybe a wedding here and there, which means more eating and drinking. It's not actually that stimulating.

That being said, there is a downside to hanging out with other neurodivergents. For instance, I'm pretty sure my partner has ADHD, which makes living with each other chaotic at times (executive dysfunction x2). He's traveling this week and it's really shocking how much more predictable and comfortable everything feels. I love him, but I can barely keep up with my own needs on a good day and so taking care of him too pushes me to exhaustion sometimes.

Dial1194
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Apr 2023, 6:39 am

Generally. There's something of a more brutal honesty.

Admittedly, I have to have the energy for it - I'm not even remotely social by default. I don't want to snap at someone for infodumping or talking over the top of everyone or not picking up cues or simply being loud. But it can be at least somewhat relaxing to just sit and let conversations wash over me where the participants aren't constantly socially jockeying or saying one thing and meaning another. And occasionally a topic of interest will bob to the surface, and it probably won't sink again before I can put a word or two in.