Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 9:30 am

Because I really don't. It's just a bunch of egomaniacs getting a big ego boost for some mediocre movies. And occasionally a celebrity tries to do something 'controversial' like Will Smith's slap or Lady Gaga showing up in a dress made of raw meat. I find it all incredibly pretentious. :|

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 9:35 am

My daughter knows two people who won last night.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 9:44 am

Don't get me wrong I'm sure there are some people who really do work hard in showbusiness just to get recognized by their art. But I stand by my opinion that the Oscars is still just one big ego trip that reflects on the nastiness of Hollowood.

I mean they even denied giving Ukraine's president, a former comedian, a chance to speak at this event about the war. Go figure with these "limousine liberals" who pretend to care except when they don't. :roll:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 9:52 am

Not in the slightest. They're a circle jerk for people I don't give a s**t about.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 10:04 am

I don't care about it myself. I don't watch current movies and don't know any actors. I've been there in the theatre and spent a lot of time around Hollywood but it's not my vibe at all. Yes her friends worked very hard though. She also knows someone who has an Oscar from years ago. It's nice when you know the people nominated, but I'm sure most of the people there overall are aholes. I think there's a lot of corruption and I foresee the entire academy collapsing in short order, because of the politics behind screenwriting.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 10:09 am

When they disrespected animation calling it kids' stuff, then I really stopped caring.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

FleaOfTheChill
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 10:19 am

I think the last movie I saw was that toy story movie with the spork in it. I took my grandson to see it because he thought it would be fun. That was a few years ago. Movies aren't my thing. I'm not interested the Oscars. I'd have no idea who those people are, what the movies are, none of it. I don't own a tv (or watch shows/movies on my laptop), so it's not like I'm going to sit through it because there's nothing better on. I'm so far removed from all that kind of stuff. It's like in a cave or something. I don't care about the oscars because they're completely irrelevant to me. I know it's a movie award type thing, but that's about it.

Readydaer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 10:22 am

Aspiegaming wrote:
When they disrespected animation calling it kids' stuff, then I really stopped caring.

Pinocchio (and Puss in Boots being nominated) getting the best animated feature kind of made them eat it if you ask me. Del Toro's speech also kind of subtly called them out on it

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 10:24 am

I lost respect when they decided to cancel Gone With the Wind, for which Hattie McDaniel was the first African-American woman to win an Oscar.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 10:45 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I lost respect when they decided to cancel Gone With the Wind, for which Hattie McDaniel was the first African-American woman to win an Oscar.

I agree. It's kinda ironic because Gone With the Wind is understandably regarded as a racist movie by today's standards. But it was also the movie that paved the way for black actors to actually get into showbusiness. They worked very hard on this movie and deserved recognition for it.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 10:48 am

I don't believe in cancel culture or artistic censorship at all, but that was my final straw.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 10:50 am

Readydaer wrote:
Aspiegaming wrote:

Pinocchio (and Puss in Boots being nominated) getting the best animated feature kind of made them eat it if you ask me. Del Toro's speech also kind of subtly called them out on it

Well I'm glad we're seeing things return to normal. There was a time in the '90s and 2000s where animation would get nominated for more categories then the 2010s came and the movies became saturated with Minions and then the Oscars became Disney biased.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 11:00 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I don't believe in cancel culture or artistic censorship at all, but that was my final straw.

Yeah I'm against censorship and cancel culture too. Any time a society starts to crack down on expression through the Creative Arts (regardless if it's movies, music, writing, etc) it should raise red flags.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 11:14 am

Cancel Culture is disastrous because it gives the government or whoever's doing it, free reign to act like aholes in the present time, and expect that their behaviour will be erased.

We need to know more about history, not less, so we don't repeat mistakes.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 11:17 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Cancel Culture is disastrous because it gives the government or whoever's doing it, free reign to act like aholes in the present time, and expect that their behaviour will be erased.

Again I agree.

Readydaer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 11:22 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:

And some bad parts don't ruin the whole thing! Take Don Quixote, where Sancho is promised land from the princess of (translated) 'monkey-monkeyland', which is just Africa. Sancho isn't too happy that he might be the ruler of black people, but then comes to the excellent conclusion that he can just sell all his subjects for better, whiter ones.

This aside, the book is also ahead of its time in terms of feminism, metafiction, and literature itself, and also really funny. I'm a POC and it would be a big shame to have Don Quixote get cancelled because it's occasionally racist.