Page 3 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 5:31 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
^^

I don't know any of those except Rosemary's Baby, which is a brilliant film that won many awards including some Oscars.

Good taste!

Of course there are some movies I know and love, it's just "the academy" I can't get behind.

Thanks Issy. :heart: Yeah I really loved that movie Rosemary's Baby and I almost forgot that the actress who played Minnie Cassavetes won an oscar. :)

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 8:43 pm

Last night's Academy Awards was the first I've watched in year, and I enjoyed it. Several first time winners and heart felt speeches. Back in the seventies, I tried to watch it every year. I was a teenager and was very interested in motion picture history, and the Oscars were part of it. I need to see All Quiet on the Western Front. I have seen the original 1930 version, which won an Oscar for best picture and best direction (Lewis Milestone) back then. I'm glad Everything Everywhere All At Once won best picture, but if All Quiet on the Western Front had won, it would have been interesting.

I don't know how they can decide a winner for the categories because sometimes the nominees are too good.

I thought there was a lot of humility among the winners.

Jimmy Kimbell acknowledged James Hong, who was in the audience, commenting he has been in over 400 films in his life, and didn't start acting until he was 25 when he started his acting career. He is an actor I've purposely started taking notice of a few years ago because I have seen him is so many movies. Last week, I saw him in Destination Inner Space, made in 1966. I say "purposely" because in the past I just noticed him, and didn't know his name.