The Finish Voice Jury impressed by a very bad Arab singer.

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 2:33 pm

They certainly didn't understand a word, I am no expert in music/singing, but I can tell that this Syrian "singer" wouldn't even pass an audition to sing for a cheap red district pub. Bad voice, bad rythming, totally broken and out of tune :lol:, disastrous, a 1/10 at best. My neighbor sings better in the toilet.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=3414659595447797

Yet this European jury were like "Wooow" and instantly turned the moment they heard something "foreigner" and "alien" :lol: ....maybe they're afraid to be accused of being racist or something? :lol: Really, what the f--- was that? :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 3:26 pm

All middle eastern singing sounds pretty much like this guy's wailing to me hehe. I couldn't tell you if it was good or not.

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Yet this European jury were like "Wooow" and instantly turned the moment they heard something "foreigner" and "alien"

That's probably part of it too.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 7:49 pm

Middle Eastern singing always has a pleading sound. As does European music rooted in the middle east like Klezmer, Jewish Cantor singing, and Gypsy music. But...some do pleading more musically than do others.

lil_hippie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Mar 2023, 9:08 pm

Not a bad voice. But I'd like to hear him sing something "western" so I could better analyze his singing, I don't know if he's being "expressive" in his language or if he's not in tune haha.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 9:29 pm

Wait a minute... you guys allow singing? :lol:

( just joking :P )

https://youtu.be/RrhVPJF4Qzs

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2023, 2:07 am

Then they should not accept non-western music if they can’t evaluate them properly; this is so… laughable.
lol

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2023, 5:15 am

Took a college music history class. The composer/professor told us how he entertained a prominent musician from some country in Asia (forget where now). A virtuoso in a traditional instrument from his country. They attended a symphony at Washington DC Kennedy Center. Our professor's guest said that he "quite liked the beginning". Our teacher said "oh...ya mean the overture?". And the guy said "no...before that". Turned out that he meant the interval before the actual performance when the orchestra musicians where all tuning their instruments. That was his favorite part of the performance. :D

Same thing in reverse:

In 1947 Britain staged a jubilee in London honoring the king by showcasing musicians from every corner of the still intact and vast British Empire.

When it came time for the sitar player from India to perform the poor guy hadnt had time to tune his instrument. So he frantically had to twist and adjust the tuning nobs on the neck for...the X number of main strings, and Y number of sympathetic strings on his instrument. Had to do it all in front of the audience. Ravi Shankar told the story on a talk show in the Seventies and demonstrated by twisting the nobs on his instrument. Made a (rather pleasant) bing bong bing bong sound.

Finnally the guy finnished and was poised to start actually playing...when...the audience gave him a standing ovation, and the curtain came down, and he was ushered off stage for the next act. :lol:

Dengashinobi
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2023, 5:24 am

I think that the jury are trying to virtue signal their support for "exotic" cultures, which it's actually racist, lol. The singing is obviously terrible. You don't need to be familiar with middle eastern music to see that.

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2023, 1:08 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
In 1947 Britain staged a jubilee in London honoring the king by showcasing musicians from every corner of the still intact and vast British Empire.

When it came time for the sitar player from India to perform the poor guy hadnt had time to tune his instrument. So he frantically had to twist and adjust the tuning nobs on the neck for...the X number of main strings, and Y number of sympathetic strings on his instrument. Had to do it all in front of the audience. Ravi Shankar told the story on a talk show in the Seventies and demonstrated by twisting the nobs on his instrument. Made a (rather pleasant) bing bong bing bong sound.

Finnally the guy finnished and was poised to start actually playing...when...the audience gave him a standing ovation, and the curtain came down, and he was ushered off stage for the next act. :lol:

I once went to a concert by Amjad Ali Khan, possibly India's most famous sarod player. An organist I know was also there. His only comment on the music was "That was a lot of B flat minor."