Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

giaam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Aug 2007, 3:24 pm

I went to see a Psychyatrist the other week, (I did have a rant about it in another thread) and he circumspected within 8 minuets of meeting me, having read my notes, that I was bi-polar / border line personality diorder / schizophrenic and such because I did not 'present' as AS when I started answering his questions. However, having read the criteria for such condidtions, I can see where he got the ideas, but AS 'fits' me, as per DX from the consultant I first saw.
Anyone got any idea if you can have AS and be bi-polar / border line personality disorder at the same time?

natty
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Aug 2007, 3:29 pm

yes you can

kittenfluffies
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2007, 3:30 pm

Bipolar disorder is a mental disorder, and BPD is a personality disorder, so I don't see why they couldn't co-exist. They are both very similar in nature.

Jennyfoo
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Aug 2007, 3:47 pm

From what I've read, Asperger's, HFA, and Bipolar Disorder are often comorbid diagnosis.

I suspect that I am Bipolar. Going to see a Psych next month.

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2007, 3:57 pm

Bi-Polar can be confused with the syptoms of chronic loneliness that aspies can suffer from.

I have my ups and down quite a lot. It is mother natures way of manipulating me to find a relationship.

Simple. If I was happy all the time, I would bother with dating. If I was miserable all the time, I would be unattractive person. If I was in between, I wouldn't only be as effective as bouncing me from good mood to bad.

I am full of wisdom isn't I. :nerdy:

Malachi_Rothschild
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Aug 2007, 4:01 pm

I was dx'd with bipolar disorder as a child, and I did have quite a few symptoms common to children with bipolar disorder. But as I've gotten older my patterns haven't really fit the dx so well. When doctors have dx'd according to the dsm-iv they've said I'm not bipolar but when mood disorders are viewed as a spectrum some have said that I fit.

Ticker
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2007, 3:30 am

Yes people can have both Bi-Polar and Aspergers. It's not always that way though, but I think you could say a significant number do have both. I've heard of many Aspies that have a whole list of disorders. My nephew for instance has AS, BP, ADHD, OCD and some kind of personality disorder I can't even remember the name of. It's weird how all the disorders can affect people differently. My nephew is quite mean & scary. But I know a man with about the same list of disorders and he clings to his momma's dresstail (literally) and acts like he's about 2.