Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Niktereuto
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Mar 2023, 6:57 pm

Recently, it has been displayed in my news feed on Google News a piece of news about a 29-year-old autistic French guy who decided to open a crepe shop in a food truck after failing 151 job interviews.

At first, I didn't pay too much attention to this news, but since my last interview, I'm afraid I could share the same destiny as him.

I have been trying to get a job since January. I took six interviews in the last two months (I'm not actively searching for a job). I failed in all of them.
The first interview was at the company where I did my internship. My old boss offered me a position at the end of my internship contract in the same area where I worked because, according to him, "I'm a good element." I took the interview, but they never hired me. They told me for weeks that they couldn't hire me because of "economic problems." One month later, an HR person contacted me to say they decided to hire another person. I would have preferred to be notified by my boss instead of HR because he was who offered me the position in the first place.
I think I screwed it in this company because when I started working there, I discovered my autism, and I decided to unmask. During those eight months, I felt very safe unmasking. People were very kind to me, and my boss was very supportive. I never told them that I was autistic. It was a large team of 25 people, so I never found a way to disclose. I think, in the end, they considered me quirky enough to rethink if they should hire me, and they decided not to do it.

All my interviews have been via Zoom, except for the last. It was the first in-person interview in my life. I'm not talkative with strangers if the matter doesn't have a relation with a special interest or an objective subject, so I had to try to chit-chat (because people always tell me that those who succeed in job interviews are friendly, make chit-chat, make jokes, smile, in short, social). I tried hard to act as I have seen others behave in these situations. But I felt very awkward and never made eye contact (only simulated).

I have never disclosed my diagnosis to any company, HR personnel, or interviewers. I won't request any accommodations, and I think I could mask well enough, so I don't need to do it. Also, I'm afraid if I disclose to the interviewers, the stereotypes (or misinformation) about Autism/Asperger's in my country will play against me because I'm requesting administrative jobs in procurement and logistics areas.

Maybe it has been just bad luck, the same luck that any neurotypical recent graduate has. After all, I only have eight months of work experience in the area.

But also, I'm afraid that my Asperger's is affecting me in the interviews or that it could affect my social relations with my future coworkers. I have a bachelor's degree. I feel capable of working. I'm afraid of not getting a job like this aspie from the news.

Could someone give me some advice, please?

News about I talk about (French): https://www.francetvinfo.fr/societe/vid ... 09263.html

honeytoast
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2023, 12:24 pm

This is not good advice at all, but it helped me land my job after numerous of failed interviews and applying to 30+ different places. I had a video call, and to get more "pumped up" I had a shot. I became more talkative, asked my questions/answers, was responsive, and they called me back that same day to ask if I wanted the job.

:lol:

~~~~

believe in the broken clock and who's side will time be on?

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2023, 12:31 pm

Lol I did the same, I interviewed better than ever before.... but still no luck.

In response to the op:
Yeah these companies are a***holes. They'll hire sociopaths, narcissists but an aspie? Nope. Even though the psychos end up making people quit and cause trouble.

If you have a job centre where you live you could ask them for interview practice and advice.

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2023, 12:48 pm

I ask to be allowed to read the answers from my pre-prepared notes because of my anxiety.

Then at the end where I ask them questions, there's a bit of bantering going on and I manage to win them over. It's important to add some decent questions in there where they get an opportunity to talk about themselves (they love that), and you get to learn what the workplace culture is like.

I shake and blush at interviews, but the above method has worked for me and landed me my last two jobs. I have had some really terrible interviews in the past because of my social awkwardness. Just being allowed to read from my pre-prepared notes and not having to worry about eye contact helped a lot.