Increasing popularity of friends-first approach

Page 14 of 16 [ 242 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2023, 6:05 pm

Jono wrote:

You ask how you wanted to date someone if you don't know them well. The answer is that that's what dating is for in the first place, to get to know them. The negative is not sexual frustration. Rather, it's that the other person ends up feeling that you're only friends with them in order to manipulate them into a relationship. I've seen too many people in this forum being criticised for complaining about being "friendzoned", but that's exactly what you get when you do this as a general dating strategy. In fact, it's the best way to remain single. Even the other person is interested in dating, if you delay it because you want to be friends first, they end up thinking that you're not interested and instead start dating other people. If you then suddenly spring your romantic feelings on them then, it's already too late and they've moved on.

It isn't a "binary".
It depends on the ppl involved.
Some ppl do genuinely want to be friends if things don't develop.
And friendship does sometimes develop into something deeper.

Now, if you want to talk in terms of what is the more probable outcome, then "we be cooking".

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2023, 6:07 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
As I always said, having an active social life is the main mean how NTs meet people.

This is probably true but being social / friendly with women for a long period of time first wouldn't work for me.

And I think it doesn't work for a lot of NTs because even before the days of dating sites NT men used to go to places to "pick up chicks", not form platonic friendships with women that would turn to romance several years later.

Even back in the good old 20th century the idea of not being friends first sometimes applied.

Toxic masculinity is a problem, yes.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2023, 6:10 pm

Jono wrote:

Right. Let me ask you this then. What happens if you don't want to move on because you are interested, but they give no indication that they're interested back?

Perhaps you could ask them if the friendship could develop into something deeper?
Perhaps I am being naive, but I don't understand why this is so hard.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2023, 6:14 pm

Fnord wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:
Quote:
Today's young adults, especially young women, are increasingly finding romance in their friend groups. In our survey, 43% of people between the ages of 18 and 29 said they were in a relationship with someone who was first a friend, including an astonishing 50% of women in that cohort. This is double the 21% of people over 65 who reported having been friends with their partner or spouse before they started dating. Among older couples, 52% said their significant other was a complete stranger to them before they got together, while only 35% of young people said the same. In other words, a lot more older Americans created a relationship out of thin air.
This is how we did it back in the days before dating apps, social media, and even the Internet.

Strangers → Acquaintances → Friends → Dating → Engagement → Marriage → Death/Divorce

Now people are (re)discovering this progression and acting as if they invented it.

:roll:

Sounds like a rational progression to me.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2023, 6:19 pm

Pepe wrote:
Jono wrote:

You ask how you wanted to date someone if you don't know them well. The answer is that that's what dating is for in the first place, to get to know them. The negative is not sexual frustration. Rather, it's that the other person ends up feeling that you're only friends with them in order to manipulate them into a relationship. I've seen too many people in this forum being criticised for complaining about being "friendzoned", but that's exactly what you get when you do this as a general dating strategy. In fact, it's the best way to remain single. Even the other person is interested in dating, if you delay it because you want to be friends first, they end up thinking that you're not interested and instead start dating other people. If you then suddenly spring your romantic feelings on them then, it's already too late and they've moved on.

It isn't a "binary".
It depends on the ppl involved.
Some ppl do genuinely want to be friends if things don't develop.
And friendship does sometimes develop into something deeper.

Now, if you want to talk in terms of what is the more probable outcome, then "we be cooking".

I've got nothing against people who want to remain friends if things don't develop or people who develop romantic feelings for a friend. I'm just saying that having a general dating strategy of "friends first" doesn't seem to work. Or at least it hasn't for me. Also, the people who do it are always the same ones who complain about being friendzoned, and they have been called manipulative and and sometimes as*holes even on this forum.

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: "I know there's nothing we can do. But my heart can't accept it." "If this is real, then I want to change the future."

26 Mar 2023, 6:25 pm

Pepe wrote:
Rexi wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Jono wrote:
I'm not sure that the "friends first" approach often works at all. In my experience, when you go friends first, the other person thinks that you only want to be friends and when you try to date them later, they think that you were only friends to begin with in order to get into their pants, which feels manipulative. That's when people complain about being "friendzoned". It's better that you both know what your intentions are from the beginning, if it doesn't work out and you still want to remain friends afterwards then that's fine too.

A LOT of ppl WERE friends first.
It depends on the people involved.
I was friends with my present partner for around 2 years or so before we became partners in crime.

Except when we were Poly first before being friends. Then I gained your heart even more. :heart: :mrgreen:

Poly didn't do it for me, remember?
I wanted a friendship instead. 8)

I would of become friends anyway because I was in 'that' situation. You guys were making me sore too on top of it, especially you. :lol:
Then you weren't telling me what was going on with you. So I didn't know what to tell you or do.
I'm glad you've healed and could trust me eventually. And that you p**** whipped me into being friendzoned, sort of. Instead of running away. You know, a friendship with me was going to turn risky :heart: but I didn't know it at the time.

Any topic, PM me; mind my profile.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2023, 6:28 pm

Pepe wrote:
Jono wrote:

Right. Let me ask you this then. What happens if you don't want to move on because you are interested, but they give no indication that they're interested back?

Perhaps you could ask them if the friendship could develop into something deeper?

Because their expectation is that if you wanted something deeper, you'd either ask them out on a date, or agree to a date if they ask you. If you turn down a date, then the default assumption is that you're not interested. Most people just don't ask if a friendship can develop into something deeper because if they're not sure, it makes them feel awkward. A lot of people are afraid of rejection as well.

Last edited by Jono on 26 Mar 2023, 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2023, 6:38 pm

Jono wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Jono wrote:

Because their expectation is that if you wanted something deeper, you'd at least ask them out on a date. Most people just don't ask that because if they're not sure, it makes them feel awkward.

As ppl have mentioned, myself included, getting to know someone as a friend first is a natural, logical first step for many.
I think it is especially important for those on the spectrum because our social skills aren't usually the best.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2023, 6:43 pm

Pepe wrote:
Jono wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Jono wrote:

Because their expectation is that if you wanted something deeper, you'd at least ask them out on a date. Most people just don't ask that because if they're not sure, it makes them feel awkward.

As ppl have mentioned, myself included, getting to know someone as a friend first is a natural, logical first step for many.
I think it is especially important for those on the spectrum because our social skills aren't usually the best.

Social skills to do with dating took me the longest to learn.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2023, 6:29 am

Just to show that it's not only me saying this, I found this video on the topic:

Personally, I think being able tell them about your feelings in the makes things easier if you lack social skills, not harder.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2023, 6:46 am

Jono wrote:
Just to show that it's not only me saying this, I found this video on the topic:

Personally, I think being able tell them about your feelings in the makes things easier if you lack social skills, not harder.

I never suggested working opinions regarding this topic was a binary, remember? ;)

"To each their own."
Both ways, perhaps all ways, pay "dividends" at times.

uncommondenominator
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2023, 9:57 am

Pepe wrote:
Jono wrote:

I never suggested working opinions regarding this topic was a binary, remember? ;)

"To each their own."

Ole'!

If "all ways" are valid, or, "pay dividends" (at times), then the approach doesn't really matter, does it? At least, in that (lack of) context. So I guess being a smart funny person with a great personality, lying to people to trick them into sex, and exploiting someone's poverty for your own personal gain, are all equally "effective" since they can all "pay dividends". That would explain a lot of the weird ideas about how to get sex "dates" presented on this site.

Of course, not that you're suggesting that, either. Not that you suggest much of anything. Though I suspect that answering every question with "yes", "no", "maybe", "both", "neither", and "sometimes" all in the same breath, makes it super easy to retroactively declare yourself not-wrong. I'm not suggesting that's happening. I'm merely pondering the benefits of doing so, IF someone were actually to do so... :wink:

That aside, even though various methods may all have varying degrees of "effectiveness", without even having to make it a dreaded binary! of "yes" or "no", it is still entirely possible to order things along a spectrum, and still determine whether something is MORE or LESS effective than another method, in relation to each other.

I believe the topic at hand is, not whether one method or another is or isn't effective, but rather, whether one method versus another is MORE effective. Presumably, to pick the more effective one - rather than picking a method by throwing a dart at the wall, and sticking to it till it works, someday, maybe, hopefully...

And that's not yet even getting into ethical or moral determinations...

Rexi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: "I know there's nothing we can do. But my heart can't accept it." "If this is real, then I want to change the future."

27 Mar 2023, 10:42 am

Jono wrote:

That's true but a little too soon and they might not be ready for it and pull away or think it's a red flag so soon, if they themselves tend to not be so fast to feel.

Any topic, PM me; mind my profile.

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2023, 12:48 pm

uncommondenominator wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Jono wrote:

"To each their own."

It also depends a lot on the person you are trying to date. Fast approaches work with some. Others need the friends first approach. That is one of the things that makes dating complicated, and frustrating. There is no one size fits all strategy or technique. That is probably more difficult for us Aspies, as we like things formulaic and rational.

Ole'!

If "all ways" are valid, or, "pay dividends" (at times), then the approach doesn't really matter, does it? At least, in that (lack of) context. So I guess being a smart funny person with a great personality, lying to people to trick them into sex, and exploiting someone's poverty for your own personal gain, are all equally "effective" since they can all "pay dividends". That would explain a lot of the weird ideas about how to get sex "dates" presented on this site.

Of course, not that you're suggesting that, either. Not that you suggest much of anything. Though I suspect that answering every question with "yes", "no", "maybe", "both", "neither", and "sometimes" all in the same breath, makes it super easy to retroactively declare yourself not-wrong. I'm not suggesting that's happening. I'm merely pondering the benefits of doing so, IF someone were actually to do so... :wink:

That aside, even though various methods may all have varying degrees of "effectiveness", without even having to make it a dreaded binary! of "yes" or "no", it is still entirely possible to order things along a spectrum, and still determine whether something is MORE or LESS effective than another method, in relation to each other.

I believe the topic at hand is, not whether one method or another is or isn't effective, but rather, whether one method versus another is MORE effective. Presumably, to pick the more effective one - rather than picking a method by throwing a dart at the wall, and sticking to it till it works, someday, maybe, hopefully...

And that's not yet even getting into ethical or moral determinations...

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2023, 3:40 pm

Here is what I meant to post-using my phone earlier and it was buried in someone else's quote:

"It also depends a lot on the person you are trying to date. Fast approaches work with some. Others need the friends first approach. That is one of the things that makes dating complicated, and frustrating. There is no one size fits all strategy or technique. That is probably more difficult for us Aspies, as we like things formulaic and rational."

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2023, 2:25 am

uncommondenominator wrote:
Pepe wrote:
Jono wrote:

"To each their own."

Ole'!

You seem to be in distress.
I think you need to settle down.

You constantly change the context that other ppl are using.
My context didn't involve lying or exploitation.

Since you seem to be doing this with others, also, I am not taking things personally.