How can I stop envious thoughts from coming up in public?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2023, 1:17 pm

One example of this is that there is a local festival which comes around in June near where I live, and nearly all the time I have gone down there, I've never watched any of the parades, dances and stuff that go on there instead I just wander round the shops and places but the thing is seems to attract other young people to go there, hang out and have a drink and stuff and when all that is going on, it makes me feel quite awkward and self-concious and think I am the only one there on my own while everyone else seems like they are having a great time.

I also find myself envying someone who works wearing a nice suit and is probably the same age as me or younger and when I am in his/her presence it's as though it makes feel ''inferior'' or a ''nobody'' even if I'm working in the same vicinity as him/her but don't wear a suit. I know that sounds ridiculous but that's how it feels to me.

lostproperty
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2023, 3:19 pm

You probably need to reframe these questions as "Why do I have these thoughts", rather than "How do I stop them".

It's not necessarily a bad thing to feel envious, as a motivating force based on your own desire deep down to improve yourself or your situation, which might lead to something positive if you could act upon it.

If you are feeling pressured into doing something you know you wouldn't want, or it's just not realistically achievable, then maybe this has more to do with what is expected of you, or what you think is expected of you - possibly based on earlier experience in life with parents, teachers, peer pressure.

This might not apply to you, but I think feelings of envy, jealousy, inferiority etc. are largely fuelled by relationship needs, either to find one or shape an existing one, which with the latter can be highly problematic.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2023, 2:35 am

chris1989 wrote:
I also find myself envying someone who works wearing a nice suit and is probably the same age as me or younger and when I am in his/her presence it's as though it makes feel ''inferior'' or a ''nobody'' even if I'm working in the same vicinity as him/her but don't wear a suit. I know that sounds ridiculous but that's how it feels to me.

Have you considered buying a nice suit?

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2023, 6:20 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
chris1989 wrote:

I have bought a dark blue blazer like jacket, trousers and brown shoes for my uncle's wedding next month.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2023, 8:21 pm

chris1989 wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
chris1989 wrote:

I have bought a dark blue blazer like jacket, trousers and brown shoes for my uncle's wedding next month.

That sounds right smart. I don't know the answer to your questions but I'd much prefer what you've bought to a suit. I bet you'll look great!

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2023, 8:54 pm

The more to try to stop or block an intrusive thought, the more you will focus on it. Instead, try simply noticing its an intrusive thought and let it go by. You don't need to dwell on it or act on it. You don't even have to ask yourself why you are having it, just focus on enjoying what you are doing. If you find you aren't really enjoying it, move on to something else. (look in a different shop, try a different drink, etc.)

Its very natural to want to compare yourself to other people, but if you do keep looking for someone better-dressed, or better looking, better whatever, you will eventually find them. That will only reinforce those feelings of inferiority. Eventually it becomes self-fulfilling. The trick it to find something you like about yourself, or doing what you enjoy that makes you happy. If you can find something to be content with, whatever it its, you'll stop focusing on what other people might have or might be doing and enjoying what you have instead.

Even during those times we all have when nothing seems to be going our way, if you can find one small thing to be happy about then whatever else might happen at least you'll have that one thing you can appreciate. (Ive had bad days were all I might be able to say is well, at "least its not raining" or "this is a really good cup of coffee" or " hey, somebody held the door open for me" but you take pleasure in what you can get on days like that)