Honest question: Is 'woke' culture a problem?

Page 2 of 5 [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Is the "woke left" as framed by conservatives toxic or not?
Very toxic. 47%  47%  [ 16 ]
Somewhat toxic. 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
I'm conflicted. 12%  12%  [ 4 ]
Hardly toxic. 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
Not toxic at all. 26%  26%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 34

Dengashinobi
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2023, 2:29 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
I'm guessing the 'as framed by conservatives' is the OP trying to evade attack for bringing up the question.

So to put it this way - when institutions (government, media / press, education) are getting destroyed by a philosophy - whether it's Marxism, wokeism, crony capitalism, etc. and it's putting us all in danger without offering a better replacement, it's really hard to argue that it's not doing significant damage to things we need to have working.

For wokeism I'm mostly interested in hearing the left-wing critics. Louise Perry sounds like she's been staying on top of thing, and listening to her and Mary Harrington talk about it in bits while also discussing Mary's new book on transhumanism really indicated that some on the left are seeing an almost perfect match with things like narcissistic personality disorder, narcissistic supply, and so much of what's being foisted 'from the top', most often by ivory tower white women, at working class people who'd be in places like BLM - ie. a lot of the toxic, disabling 'white knight' behavior is properly getting labeled as predatory.

There's no denying that racism exists (not nearly as overt or bad as it once was, although the hyperfocus has rolled things back some), structural oppression seems like it's more of a problem of historic wealth accrual in some places and lack of it (as well as outright confiscation and sabotage - such as places like Black Wall Street, Roseville, etc.). At the same time on the left - there are a LOT of race-mongers and race-predators. Really when you understand Darwinian game theory and you see anything that's deemed so holy / sacred that it dare not be scrutinized, this ends up being a racket for narcissists, sociopaths, dark empaths, and Munchausen's by proxy.

Beautifuly said.

FlaminPika
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Mar 2023, 11:12 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
I'm guessing the 'as framed by conservatives' is the OP trying to evade attack for bringing up the question.

So to put it this way - when institutions (government, media / press, education) are getting destroyed by a philosophy - whether it's Marxism, wokeism, crony capitalism, etc. and it's putting us all in danger without offering a better replacement, it's really hard to argue that it's not doing significant damage to things we need to have working.

For wokeism I'm mostly interested in hearing the left-wing critics. Louise Perry sounds like she's been staying on top of thing, and listening to her and Mary Harrington talk about it in bits while also discussing Mary's new book on transhumanism really indicated that some on the left are seeing an almost perfect match with things like narcissistic personality disorder, narcissistic supply, and so much of what's being foisted 'from the top', most often by ivory tower white women, at working class people who'd be in places like BLM - ie. a lot of the toxic, disabling 'white knight' behavior is properly getting labeled as predatory.

There's no denying that racism exists (not nearly as overt or bad as it once was, although the hyperfocus has rolled things back some), structural oppression seems like it's more of a problem of historic wealth accrual in some places and lack of it (as well as outright confiscation and sabotage - such as places like Black Wall Street, Roseville, etc.). At the same time on the left - there are a LOT of race-mongers and race-predators. Really when you understand Darwinian game theory and you see anything that's deemed so holy / sacred that it dare not be scrutinized, this ends up being a racket for narcissists, sociopaths, dark empaths, and Munchausen's by proxy.

To the first part: Pretty much, I am always afraid to walk on eggshells. Even in this thread in which I mentioned I don't subscribe to either ideology. I have been attacked in past communities by both sides which has instilled a fear in me that I carry everywhere.

Quote:

This is a really interesting point and I really like how you describe it. The way in which all of these influences construct a particular polarizing narrative and run with it without offering a proper solution. I see the main problem being the 'us vs them' aspect of it, and I always felt like selective empathy was an underlooked issue. This idea that people are these virtuous morally superior empaths, when their empathy is incredibly narrow and selective.

For instance, the left as a whole shows a significant amount of empathy towards those who they deem marginalized, however to those they feel don't deserve support for any arbitrary reason they are incredibly cold, callous, unrelenting and unsympathetic.

I think incels are a really good example of this. The left doesn't view incels as marginalized in any way, even though many are struggling with a whole plethora of legitimate mental health issues. Many on the progressive left would even lump them in with those in power just by the sheer fact that they're men alone.

It should be plainly obvious that being an incel, having near non-existent social worth, struggling with loneliness, low self-esteem, social anxiety and depression, and having very likely been bullied etc is no easy role to be in. But the left narrativize incels as just a bunch of angry misogynist losers who don't deserve an ounce of sympathy. While I can understand why they feel that way, the reality tends to be quite a bit more complex than that. When you denigrate someone in this way their humanhood is stripped away.

Quote:

I definitely prefer a left wing critique of woke culture myself as it's more reasonable without question. I have also gathered that many on the left appear narcissistic in an almost ironic but not so ironic way. I came to this conclusion on my own, but it's interesting to see that my view isn't so uncommon. It's the whole egotistical sanctimonious holier-than-thou vitriolic attitude that really strikes me that way, and much of it is fundamentally fueled by not only self-righteous indignation but even a deep rooted low self-esteem.

Quote:
Really when you understand Darwinian game theory and you see anything that's deemed so holy / sacred that it dare not be scrutinized, this ends up being a racket for narcissists, sociopaths, dark empaths, and Munchausen's by proxy.

Makes sense to me. It's sort of like a natural disposition when you really really want to dogmatically show your beliefs down people's throats where you don't respect anyone elses views but your own, and you expect everyone to take you seriously but you can't take other people seriously. It's never fun dealing with people with this sort of ego driven mindset. It's also really interesting how I've met so many people who seem uncertain in their convictions to a healthy level, and those who couldn't accept any other scenario besides the one they've proposed. Human psychology is fascinating.

FlaminPika

16 Mar 2023, 11:27 pm

Dengashinobi wrote:
FlaminPika wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
There are, of course, silly and outright wrong things that people advocate for in the name of social justice.

In practice it seems like the way the right use "woke" is to mean "anyone who disagrees with them about which things are bad or the extent of bad things".

As a centre-right liberal, personally I am much more concerned by the censorious, aggressive, anti-intellectual streak on the right than I am by its left-wing equivalent.

I have met some really intelligent libertarians, who I would assume could be classified to some extent as right wing, at least economically. However the average right wing person I've met seems to be exactly as you describe, as an anti-intellectual aggressive censorious Trump supporter type.

As someone who sympathized with certain right wing ideas, mainly as it pertains to freedom, it was this sort of mentality that really alienated me from many on the right- this idea that political leaders who are so clearly horrendous and corrupt could be heralded not only as a positive force, but even as some type of God like figure, such as in the case of Trump who could lie 10 times a minute and his supporters wouldn't ever question him.

That sort of blind loyalty has always frustrated me. But I have to wonder, and I'm afraid of going off topic, but how could the right improve as a whole? What values could the right espouse that could objectively improve the country? Because that's something that confuses me as I can't really picture a right wing system of any kind doing too much good for the country, at least not without major social change first which could require a very long time to achieve.

Accepting the lying by politicians on your side is not a phenomenon restricted to conservatives. Liberals do it too. Right now they have elected a caricature of a president. A demented puppet figure who is a well lnown career politician con artist. Yet, the left seems perfectly content with it. Nobody is asking who is actually making the decisions for that demented old walking mummy. And how is it possible that a person obviously incapable of making sound decisions gets elected to the probably most consequential position on the planet.

The right as it is in the U.S. has it's cons as it's the emphasis on religion, nationalism, probably a historic connection to racist minded folks, some historic rigidity towards changing social norms. But it gets right some important things like the classical liberal ideals of the founding fathers, which is liberty, freedom of speech, freedom of association, the right to property etc. Wich should be also values that the liberals should uphold, but they often don't. Most importantly the right has a better grip of economics, which is the historicaly weak spot of the left.

Honestly, I think you are spot on with the second paragraph. Regarding our current president I think it's important to consider that the left as a whole is not very fond of him at all and exit polls showed very low enthusiasm among voters. This is a stark contrast from the dogmatic loyalty and high enthusiasm among Trump supporters. I very rarely if ever see left wing people speaking positively of Joe Biden, only negative. Biden's more loyal fanbase are mainly older liberal leaning Americans, few of which are part of the prog left. At least that's how I see it personally.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

17 Mar 2023, 7:06 am

Dengashinobi wrote:
FlaminPika wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
There are, of course, silly and outright wrong things that people advocate for in the name of social justice.

In practice it seems like the way the right use "woke" is to mean "anyone who disagrees with them about which things are bad or the extent of bad things".

As a centre-right liberal, personally I am much more concerned by the censorious, aggressive, anti-intellectual streak on the right than I am by its left-wing equivalent.

I have met some really intelligent libertarians, who I would assume could be classified to some extent as right wing, at least economically. However the average right wing person I've met seems to be exactly as you describe, as an anti-intellectual aggressive censorious Trump supporter type.

As someone who sympathized with certain right wing ideas, mainly as it pertains to freedom, it was this sort of mentality that really alienated me from many on the right- this idea that political leaders who are so clearly horrendous and corrupt could be heralded not only as a positive force, but even as some type of God like figure, such as in the case of Trump who could lie 10 times a minute and his supporters wouldn't ever question him.

That sort of blind loyalty has always frustrated me. But I have to wonder, and I'm afraid of going off topic, but how could the right improve as a whole? What values could the right espouse that could objectively improve the country? Because that's something that confuses me as I can't really picture a right wing system of any kind doing too much good for the country, at least not without major social change first which could require a very long time to achieve.

Accepting the lying by politicians on your side is not a phenomenon restricted to conservatives. Liberals do it too. Right now they have elected a caricature of a president. A demented puppet figure who is a well lnown career politician con artist. Yet, the left seems perfectly content with it. Nobody is asking who is actually making the decisions for that demented old walking mummy. And how is it possible that a person obviously incapable of making sound decisions gets elected to the probably most consequential position on the planet.

The right as it is in the U.S. has it's cons as it's the emphasis on religion, nationalism, probably a historic connection to racist minded folks, some historic rigidity towards changing social norms. But it gets right some important things like the classical liberal ideals of the founding fathers, which is liberty, freedom of speech, freedom of association, the right to property etc. Wich should be also values that the liberals should uphold, but they often don't. Most importantly the right has a better grip of economics, which is the historicaly weak spot of the left.

I think it's a bit silly to call Biden a "demented puppet figure", a "con artist", "obviously incapable of making sound decisions". That's just nonsense. I disagree with many of the things Biden has done, but he doesn't resemble your fantasy version of him.

For that matter your ideas about the American right are rather strange. The American right does not uphold freedom of speech or freedom of association. It also has a very poor grasp on economics - for example, most Republican officials seem to think that tax cuts pay for themselves, and right now the Republican Party is highly supportive of trade protectionism and opposed to immigration. Actual economists, despite being one of the most "culturally right-wing" professions (it's one of the few professions where it's basically impossible to succeed as a Marxist for example) seem to generally be supportive of the Democratic Party.

Unfortunately the Republican Party doesn't really defend the good right-wing values like moderation, pragmatism, caution, restraint, fiscal soundness, pluralism, consensus, rule of law, small government, and so forth. There was a case for it in 2008 or 2012 maybe, but these days all the sensible people have been purged, except for a few hold-outs in New England and Alaska. These days it seems opposed to many of those things. We see the Republican Party trying to control what teachers can say, what treatments doctors can provide, whether corporations make the tamest of expressions in support of queer people, and threatening draconian punishments for anyone who goes against them. They expelled people who stood up against the January 6th insurrection. They pack the courts with sycophants every chance they get, and they gerrymander electoral maps to give themselves the biggest electoral advantage possible (the Democrats also do this, but the Republicans are much more dedicated to it and the net impact is heavily pro-R).

I don't see a route back for them unless their voters wake up and realise that all this conspiracy theory, violent uprising, minority bashing stuff is a failure with the wider electorate. Really there needs to be major electoral reform in the US to move to a more proportional, representative system.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2023, 7:46 am

FlaminPika wrote:
I think incels are a really good example of this. The left doesn't view incels as marginalized in any way, even though many are struggling with a whole plethora of legitimate mental health issues. Many on the progressive left would even lump them in with those in power just by the sheer fact that they're men alone.

This is part of why notSoErudite caught my attention. As a therapist who sees incels in her practice she was going after a lot of people who were doing this - really making it clear that if you took the mental health statistics of incels and abstracted the political notions off you'd have a group who, by any measure, represented both a mental health crisis and a community that the profession of psychology was either failing or underserving.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Dengashinobi
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2023, 8:01 am

The_Walrus wrote:
Dengashinobi wrote:
FlaminPika wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

I think it's a bit silly to call Biden a "demented puppet figure", a "con artist", "obviously incapable of making sound decisions". That's just nonsense. I disagree with many of the things Biden has done, but he doesn't resemble your fantasy version of him.

For that matter your ideas about the American right are rather strange. The American right does not uphold freedom of speech or freedom of association. It also has a very poor grasp on economics - for example, most Republican officials seem to think that tax cuts pay for themselves, and right now the Republican Party is highly supportive of trade protectionism and opposed to immigration. Actual economists, despite being one of the most "culturally right-wing" professions (it's one of the few professions where it's basically impossible to succeed as a Marxist for example) seem to generally be supportive of the Democratic Party.

Unfortunately the Republican Party doesn't really defend the good right-wing values like moderation, pragmatism, caution, restraint, fiscal soundness, pluralism, consensus, rule of law, small government, and so forth. There was a case for it in 2008 or 2012 maybe, but these days all the sensible people have been purged, except for a few hold-outs in New England and Alaska. These days it seems opposed to many of those things. We see the Republican Party trying to control what teachers can say, what treatments doctors can provide, whether corporations make the tamest of expressions in support of queer people, and threatening draconian punishments for anyone who goes against them. They expelled people who stood up against the January 6th insurrection. They pack the courts with sycophants every chance they get, and they gerrymander electoral maps to give themselves the biggest electoral advantage possible (the Democrats also do this, but the Republicans are much more dedicated to it and the net impact is heavily pro-R).

I don't see a route back for them unless their voters wake up and realise that all this conspiracy theory, violent uprising, minority bashing stuff is a failure with the wider electorate. Really there needs to be major electoral reform in the US to move to a more proportional, representative system.

Pretty much you sum up the whole package of biased perceptions an average media brainwashed leftie must have. What can I say, you checked all the boxes. I tried to engage in a balanced discussion while your response is an NPC script which you might have as well copy pasted from a left media source. Pathetic.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

17 Mar 2023, 8:51 am

All due respect, I don't think anyone would view your post as "balanced", for the reasons I have already highlighted. It was full of factual inaccuracies and misrepresentations.

Please do feel free to point out any inaccuracies in my post. If all you can do is throw insults then I'm forced to conclude that there aren't any.

Again, I'm a centre-right guy, so accusing me of being a lefty is a bit weird, to say the least.

Dengashinobi
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2023, 9:23 am

The_Walrus wrote:
All due respect, I don't think anyone would view your post as "balanced", for the reasons I have already highlighted. It was full of factual inaccuracies and misrepresentations.

Please do feel free to point out any inaccuracies in my post. If all you can do is throw insults then I'm forced to conclude that there aren't any.

Again, I'm a centre-right guy, so accusing me of being a lefty is a bit weird, to say the least.

You mean you 'identify' as a centre-right guy. lol

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2023, 9:52 am

Honey69
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2023, 9:57 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
I think incels are a really good example of this. The left doesn't view incels as marginalized in any way, even though many are struggling with a whole plethora of legitimate mental health issues...As a therapist who sees incels in her practice she was going after a lot of people who were doing this - really making it clear that if you took the mental health statistics of incels and abstracted the political notions off you'd have a group who, by any measure, represented both a mental health crisis and a community that the profession of psychology was either failing or underserving.

There is a saying to the effect that "A city without brothels is like a house without a bathroom."

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2023, 10:00 am

Some master class zero-sum / negative-sum techniques for grabbing status fraudulently:

1) Make zero contact with good faith critiques or concerns about a given idea or nebulous movement.
2) Those who disagree with me are evil.

If you have enough dupes or people who don't know what's true or what matters but want to be perceived as being on the 'right side' of the argument you can pretty much win via something akin to a 51% attack.

In the early 2010's it seems like people were regularly dumb enough to fall for it. These days, thankfully, it's a bit fewer, hopefully - eventually - those kinds of 51% authority exploitation attacks, whether through memes or drumming the same fabrications or mistakes via various social media sources, will cease to work.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2023, 10:07 am

Honey69 wrote:
There is a saying to the effect that "A city without brothels is like a house without a bathroom."

Considering that most women really, really, really don't want to do sex work and that legalizing it seems to boost human trafficking rather than resolve it or 1099 fully consenting adults makes this issue more complicated. If there was really a way to properly vet that all women and men who were in sex work were there of their own volition and not via immigration scams or drug addiction that might help.

It's true that men's sexual urges need somewhere to go, it's trickier to figure out both a) what actually works and b) what's ethical when measured by the standards of liberal democracy. In that case I'd hope that we keep getting better with both synthesized experiences (ie. dolls, toys, etc.) and also try to sculpt our norms around those things in ways that they don't become a direct tax on one's ability to actually find a life partner - because right now they can create a split, decrease social skills via opting out of interaction, and a lot of things that really matter.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2023, 1:53 pm

Problem, no.

I do think, however, that they often have a lack of focus on the issues they're tackling.

For examples, much of the discussions about racial issues are as a result of George Floyd's murder. Yet we hear nothing from them when it comes to solutions to combatting police brutality, or improving peoples' standards of living. Meanwhile, Tyre Nichols is dead now, and still very little done. Inaction on these issues will do far more damage than any statue or sports team name could.

As much as we've failed African-Americans, we've failed Native Americans far worse. In Buffalo County, South Dakota, many homes lack kitchens and indoor plumbing, and the county has the lowest median household income in the U.S. Other areas with large indigenous populations have not fared much better. We need to work on upgrading their infrastructure, health care, schools, etc., and create opportunities for them.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

The_Znof
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2023, 2:59 pm

thread title and OP ask two different questions..

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2023, 6:25 pm

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

FlaminPika

17 Mar 2023, 7:07 pm

funeralxempire wrote:

This is a nice video. Many of the people seem to have their head on straight. Steve's response "part of the marxist agenda" doesn't resonate with me too much, and I've explained why i struggle with that narrative in an earlier post. "Attack on family values" is also a weird way to put it. It seems tangentially related, but not directly.

How people respond to open ended political questions gives you insight into their thought process.

Teja Paladugu's point resonates with me when he says that it's a distraction from issues like homelessness and inflation.

However some woke people definitely care about those issues as well, but they don't express it very much. Trans rights is a very hot button topic right now that's been taking up a lot of the discourse in the leftist spotlight but I can understand why with more and more people coming out as trans and LGBT in general that these issues are extremely relevant especially among the younger population where 1 in 5 Gen Z adults identify as LGBT.